Villa 2 -2 Stoke; Was that a bad result? Not really

I have to say straight off, I didn’t see it.
It would seem Stoke were the better side and my Stokey mate (who’s very reasonable in his judgement) said we were lucky.
If that’s so, I think this was a decent result, although obviously not the one we wanted.

We all know drawing games is no good if you want to get promoted.
But I looked at the run of games up until Xmas a few weeks back and feared for us.
The reality is that while we haven’t got as many points as we might have wanted, so we we’ve done pretty reasonably too.
Let’s not forget we’re unbeaten in five games.
And after Leeds, I think we have a much easier run of games, which will hopefully lead to a decent accumulation of points.
Will our run-in be good enough to be promoted?
I still firmly believe so, because of our squad depth where it matters.

If you consider that our defence is considered poor, I believe we’re doing better than I expected and Smith will improve us, come the winter window.
I don’t know about you, but I thought Nyland should have saved the penalty, seeing as he dived to the correct side.
He needs replacing, simple. And he surely will be.

I continue to find it disappointing that it seems we were quick to blame Hutton for the other goal, when it wasn’t really his fault.
I agree, he gets caught out far too much postionally, but he also seems to get stick when it’s not totally fair, in my opinion.
Two full backs, a centre back and most importantly, a goalie should sort most of our problems out and we’ll be good to go for the second half of the season.

I’m quite comfortable with where we stand, for what it’s worth, as much as it seems many of us are panicking.
It’s a long, tough season and I suspect that given our squad, particularly up front and in midfield, coupled to some decent aquisitions, we will see us at least challenging.

Is that overly optimistic?
Maybe.
But at least I’m enjoying watching the football.
When I get a chance, that is.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
  1. Bill Pearson December 20, 2018 at 11:14 am .

Was that the Birminghamlive mail Live Pat? …

1. Pat 57 December 20, 2018 at 1:55 pm .

Yes Bill I think it was

2. Big Fat Ron December 20, 2018 at 3:44 pm .

Tremendous signing if it goes through. Why go for PL rejects when you can sign a World Cup semi-finalist with his best years ahead of him? The lack of fuss and swiftness of the deal is particularly impressive. Anyone else think that Purslow appears to be a class act?

3. Big Fat Ron December 20, 2018 at 3:46 pm .

More on Purslow: he’s also taken the decision to take KMac out of dealing with our youngsters. Sounds like it should’ve happened long ago. The stories coming out about him and McAndrew are disgusting and shameful. How many kids get bullied at school and it affects the rest of their lives? You’d think they’d be safe at an organisation like Aston Villa – not exactly an inner city state school is it? Education is the key. Yes, KMac and McAndrew were qualified coaches, but were they qualified to work with vulnerable youngsters? Obviously not. I hope this case brings massive changes to how youth football is governed.

1. Pat 57 December 20, 2018 at 5:26 pm .

I’ve often heard posters on this site moaning about how our youngsters don’t make it through to the first team and then how well they play when they go out on loan.

Kind of explains that doesn’t it?

4. Bill Pearson December 20, 2018 at 5:42 pm .

Pat 57, funny you saying that , last night my old gaffer and friends rang me and in the conversation mentioned Green asking what’s he like, told him he’s a up and coming player and he’s an asset to any club, he replied he’s on the bench week after week and not getting game time. Why don’t we use those players he’s not learning much sitting on a bench. It’s something I’ve never understood , lots of our young players are doing well in the first sides for other clubs yet we don’t and sell.your right some do become good players.

5. nath December 20, 2018 at 7:07 pm .

players we have coming through are not superstars or finished articles most think they are, bruce ignored most of them and now smith is doing the same. this doesn’t mean they wont make it. but its a good indication that they are not quite ready. youth football is so weak and poor a oap would probably look like a prospect amongst them,so shipping them out to play at lower league real football is the answer to bringing them on faster to reach our first team standards. yeah we could fill our team with these hopefuls and sacrifice our season blooding them. but then isn’t the target promotion

6. badger123 December 20, 2018 at 10:38 pm .

Whoa, I think we need to slow down here, with the comments about KMac.

Purslow has taken the decision to take him out of the loop, because that’s what he has to do to, to stay neutral.

I think there have been similar complaints about KMac before, but they’ve never been proven, POSSIBLY, because at the time, it was accepted stuff, albeit no longer acceptable now.

Which to my mind, makes it all very tricky.

I’ve already stated that you need to cajole kids to get the best out of them.
    Of course, this doesn’t involve anything physical and I would never condone that.

The point is, that KMac is innocent and that’s the club’s stance, until proved otherwise, as Purslow has correctly said.

My stance is that if KMac has physically bullied kids, he deserves everything he might get.

But if it’s more mental bullying, I think times have changed and he (and me and no doubt many other older folk) are totally out of date.
    In which case, there will be some sort of slight reprimand and he gets the bullet.
    Probably with a payoff on the quiet, just the same as MP’s get, when they mess up.

7. Bill Pearson December 21, 2018 at 11:39 am .

Fx#$ Pat I’m in some trouble then, I was a squad NCO in the RASC training recruits does it mean tipping beds up and shouting in the face I was a bully, we had to turn boy’s into men in 8 weeks , got me waiting for the MPs to take me away. For God’s sake they must be weak minded footballers if they didnt understand that’s the way life is. Piss them off to Russia then they would understand what its all about.

8. Big Fat Ron December 21, 2018 at 11:52 am .

Bill and Badger, I appreciate what you’re saying but all kids at that age are ‘weak minded’; that doesn’t give anybody the right to ‘break them’ mentally in the name of preparing them for the real world. Sorry Bill, but your point is not valid because the context is football; they are not going to war, as much as we might like the analogy. They are young footballers. If they’re not good enough, that’s fine. But mental abuse is worse than physical; it breaks a person’s spirit and has life-long effects. When young men and women go to the army, they know what to expect. Young footballers should expect quality coaching and encouragement, and yes, if they mess up, a bollocking. But not systematic and pointless abuse, which is what was happening, according to the stories coming out.

9. Bill Pearson December 21, 2018 at 12:20 pm .

BFR, it was meant as a joke and not to take it as read, we dont at this time know what’s gone on do we, I hope to God that Kmac is not a person to suppress young footballers. We have to see what’s what.