Villa 2 -2 Stoke; Was that a bad result? Not really

I have to say straight off, I didn’t see it.
It would seem Stoke were the better side and my Stokey mate (who’s very reasonable in his judgement) said we were lucky.
If that’s so, I think this was a decent result, although obviously not the one we wanted.

We all know drawing games is no good if you want to get promoted.
But I looked at the run of games up until Xmas a few weeks back and feared for us.
The reality is that while we haven’t got as many points as we might have wanted, so we we’ve done pretty reasonably too.
Let’s not forget we’re unbeaten in five games.
And after Leeds, I think we have a much easier run of games, which will hopefully lead to a decent accumulation of points.
Will our run-in be good enough to be promoted?
I still firmly believe so, because of our squad depth where it matters.

If you consider that our defence is considered poor, I believe we’re doing better than I expected and Smith will improve us, come the winter window.
I don’t know about you, but I thought Nyland should have saved the penalty, seeing as he dived to the correct side.
He needs replacing, simple. And he surely will be.

I continue to find it disappointing that it seems we were quick to blame Hutton for the other goal, when it wasn’t really his fault.
I agree, he gets caught out far too much postionally, but he also seems to get stick when it’s not totally fair, in my opinion.
Two full backs, a centre back and most importantly, a goalie should sort most of our problems out and we’ll be good to go for the second half of the season.

I’m quite comfortable with where we stand, for what it’s worth, as much as it seems many of us are panicking.
It’s a long, tough season and I suspect that given our squad, particularly up front and in midfield, coupled to some decent aquisitions, we will see us at least challenging.

Is that overly optimistic?
Maybe.
But at least I’m enjoying watching the football.
When I get a chance, that is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    bill evans December 17, 2018 at 10:52 pm .

I watched on AVTV and observed that…

…we missed Grealish’s creativity. I was hoping that McGinn would fill the gap but he wasn’t near his best and, dare I say it, I think he missed Grealish too.

…Kodja is a super-sub but Hogan isn’t. I’ve given up with the short Irishman. I wish O’Hare had been brought on instead.

…we have to stop giving the ball away in dangerous areas. Yes, it’s fucking wonderful when we reclaim the ball in our half and neatly pass it up-field, but when we screw up it’s disastrous. As soon as Hutton showed the ball I knew we were just about to get punished.

I am still unsure as to whether or not we’re going up this season. We may have a great squad and coaching staff, but we have to play better than we did last week.

Hitchens60 December 18, 2018 at 10:27 am .

Injuries – I didn’t see the game but we shouldn’t lightly dismiss the number of injuries we currently have in key positions.

Hutton was playing out of position at left back and we only had three fit mid field first team players to chose from.

Given that, I think a draw was a creditable result whereas we should have won against both Forest and Albion – that’s where key points were dropped (not meant as a criticism, just an observation).

Flying home back to the cold weather today but looking forward to actually seeing the new Villa play.

UTV

Bill Pearson December 18, 2018 at 10:36 am .

Man utd sack Manager the chosen one gone.

Bill Pearson December 19, 2018 at 2:51 pm .

Is this True.
    Love Kalinic Goalkeep signing for Villa ? apparently having medical in Birmingham today.

Bill Pearson December 19, 2018 at 2:51 pm .

Lovre. ..

Bill Pearson December 19, 2018 at 2:55 pm .

Found it Lads.

Aston Villa look set to make their first signing ahead of the January transfer window, with Gent goalkeeper, Lovre Kalinic edging ever-closer to a move to Villa Park, according to Birmingham Mail reporter Gregg Evans.

Journalist, Gregg Evans broke the news about the latest transfer development and this isn’t the first time that Aston Villa have made a move to sign the Croatian international.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Villa were linked with a move for Kalinic three years ago, but a move didn’t materialise.

However, Dean Smith looks set to make the shot-stopper his first arrival through the door at Villa Park, ahead of what could be an interesting transfer window for the club.

DSVilla December 19, 2018 at 3:20 pm .

I seem to remember that Kalinic deal fell through as he hadn’t played enough internationals to qualify. That makes no sense as he is Croatian and therefore an EU citizen. I would have thought that means he should have been able to move under FoM, unless for some reason football is treated differently.

Sidforever December 19, 2018 at 8:48 pm .

The daily Telegraph is quoting the Kalinic will cost £7 million. I’m really intrigued with the previous discussions of FFP If he does sign for this amount – wow. A clear intent by our new owners. But what are the implications:
    Is it any of these:
    *spend and pay fine if rules broken
    * sell asset to finance this and a number of other deals – has Grealish’s £30m sell on clause been triggered?
    * financial fair play limitations mentioned by Dr X were not as bad as thought. Was the issue more about cash flow than amount of losses?
    * new owners have managed to find effective ways system of injecting capital into the club, without breaking FFP rules.
    * some of the fringe players will be sold

Interesting times ahead I believe.

Hitchens60 December 19, 2018 at 9:21 pm .

Interesting turn of events Sid. Purslow recently quoted as saying that FFP wasn’t a major issue following substantial cash injection by owners.

All will become clear in March (next year end accounting period for FFP)

Bill Pearson December 19, 2018 at 9:32 pm .

Kalinic move failed cannot get a work permit due to not playing enough games. What a let down.

Pat 57 December 20, 2018 at 12:26 am .

Bill the Telegraph is saying this –

“Kalinic is expected to have a medical at Villa’s training ground on Thursday with the two clubs in advanced talks over a permanent deal.”

Bill Pearson December 20, 2018 at 7:36 am .

Hi Pat,
        It seems that article been withdrawn Pat 57 , the one I read was he’d only played so many games and accordingly breaking FA rules, now every bit of news saying medical today. thanks for your link have to believe your right Pat..

Pat 57 December 20, 2018 at 9:49 am .

Bill there was an article in the Mail explaining why the Kalinic deal fell through 3 years ago. Think it could have been that?