Bacuna signs a new five year contract; What to think?

I like Leandro Bacuna.

He’s a decent player, who gets forward quite nicely at times and can bang a decent cross in.
But I’m not convinced he’s a winger, as he doesn’t really go past the man in the traditional sense.
I’m not even convinced he’s a wingback, because he doesn’t defend well enough and is too often caught well out of position.
And for me, he certainly isn’t an out and out defensive right back.

So what exactly is he then?
Well, Tim Sherwood seems to think he’s a right back, given that he’s intimated that Bacuna has done ok and will improve there.
Which I find slightly odd, because I think Cissokho is a decent defensive left back, who’s not so good going forward (basically the opposite of Bacuna), yet he’s been deemed surplus to requirements?

Of course, the manager has proven at first glance to be correct in replacing Cissokho with Amavi, who looks excellent going forward and has enough pace to make up for when he’s caught out somewhat, defensively.
No doubt that’s why Sherwood has turned out to be a Premier league manager and I just comment about things.

Back to Bacuna then and I suppose he can do a job at RB and may well improve, as the manager thinks, although I believe Hutton is actually the better defender.
Then of course, we need to add in the Traore factor.
This is where I think Bacuna comes into Sherwood’s way of thinking.

Traore looks (on a video, I hasten to add) frighteningly good at attacking defenders.
The thought of him dragging two left sided defenders all over the place and Bacuna having an acre of the resulting space in the final third of the right flank to run into for the return pass, has me practically drooling.
Couple this with Amavi and say, Grealish both on fire on the left and it all begins to sound very exciting.
IF it works.
And there’s my problem.

While I’ve no problem with Bacuna signing a new contract, I do have to question the five years.
I can understand the club wanting to sign a core of players up for the long term and it’s admirable.
But what happens if things don’t go to plan and we’re faced with a “bomb squad” Mk 11?
After all, managers change and they have different views, don’t they?
It’s just a thought.
But that said, Bacuna does make at least a very good right sided utility player, which will no doubt make him useful in the depths of the season, when injuries invariably kick in.

By the way, it’s apparently Bacuna’s birthday tomorrow.
Happy birthday Leandro!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Hitchens 60 August 21, 2015 at 12:08 pm .

Lescott rumours gathering some momentum; not sure wether to be happy or not?

Tough game at Palace; good side, good manager. Draw would be a good result methinks – 1-1.

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 21, 2015 at 12:36 pm .

Lescott is another vlaar/sendross imo error prone. When he’s good he’s good when he’s bad he’s bloody awful!

Ardent Villain August 21, 2015 at 1:18 pm .

Just think that he’s past his best – was good enough at one time, but now?

Dave.C August 21, 2015 at 1:41 pm .

I’d rather stick with Senderos, he played well in the few games he played for us plus he’s almost 2 and a 1/2 years younger than Lescott. Sorry, but I just do not rate Lescott, totally overated just because he’s played for Citeh and England. Don’t do it Tim, he’s not good enough for Pulis, he’s not good enough for us!

billys boots August 21, 2015 at 1:46 pm .

it wouldn’t surprise me if our new star defender has suggested that he would prefer to play alongside his old teammate

Bill Pearson August 21, 2015 at 1:56 pm .

I’d don’t know?Lescott has a couple of things going for him, experience and a Villa supporter, I agree seen him do mistakes but then who doesn’t, working with younger players might bring that old player back, don’t see him coming to Villa at all, if it happens I’d let Sherwood do his job.

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 22, 2015 at 1:42 am .

But like vlaar he makes more mistakes than most

GIDDYVILLAN August 21, 2015 at 3:15 pm .

I see Gardner’s signed a new 3 year deal I hope he’s given a chance.

Hitchens 60 August 21, 2015 at 3:28 pm .

Just seen that Giddy. Interesting that he got 3 rather than 5 years which might suggest TS is not completely convinced but at least it’s a decent period within which to prove himself ( given a chance of course).

saddened August 21, 2015 at 4:16 pm .

I think he only got 3 years, because of his injury record… fingers crossed he gets a decent chance, as I always thought he was an excellent prospect.

Benno August 21, 2015 at 10:18 pm .

Im happy about Bacuna and Gardner signing new deals.

I think with the right coaching and a decent number of games under his belt, Bacuna could become a very good right back. He is pretty versatile and if he can improve the defensive part of the game, we could have 2 quality full backs.

Gardner might finally get his chance under Sherwood. I think the year in the championship did him a lot of good and that will give us some healthy competition in midfield.

Be interesting to see if we are active on transfer deadline day. I think Tim might have one more signing in mind…I just hope to god its not Adebayor!!

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 22, 2015 at 1:40 am .

What’s Gardner done to get a new contract other than be injured and go out on loan. Bacuna does a job not much more to offer him 5 years is madness. 2 years fair enough