Sherwood’s position and if he goes, will we get a top manager in?

No doubt we’ve seen the story where Tim Sherwood’s job is on the line and he has two games where he has to win one of them.
It seems a very plausible story, given our very poor start, but I’m not convinced I agree with it when it comes to the secondary part which discusses who will replace him.

For me, the problem is would these managers actually want to come to the Villa?
I’d like to see Rodgers, as he tries to play the game the right way, but is he proven during a relegation struggle?
Moyes is a good shout and I’ve long felt he’s destined for the Villa, but I just get the feeling that even if he wants to come back, his thinking will be that there will be better propositions sometime in the season.

And surely these sorts of managers will want big assurances and big money to spend?
Can we really see that happening under Lerner?
I personally doubt it, as the whole club seems to be playing these “moneyball” tactics, when you consider what our net spend has been this season so far.
It’s a pretty basic fact that if you spend nothing you’re going to struggle and it’s the under-investment that’s gone on far too long that is causing our problems, in my opinion.

Let’s not forget we were pretty happy with our signings, but they needed to be able to have been dripped in amongst more proven (read expensive) players, which is where Sherwood does have a point.
That said, I’m happy to concede that Sherwood has made some costly errors with his tactics and substitutions; but I still wonder what any new manager would do to change our direction and instil a new winning mentality, something that Sherwood seems to have lost already.

Putting it simply, the story is probably not far off the mark, in my opinion.
But I don’t expect a decent, proven Prem manager to come in.
Rodgers for one is against a football committee, which seems to be the way we’re operating now, isn’t he?
As is Moyes, I believe.

No, I’d be keeping an eye more on foreign coaches, who will look at the Prem riches by European standards as a way of bringing players in.
And it’ll be the same old way of thinking, in that most of them won’t be ready for the way we play footy.
Face it, Lerner, you need to spend and spend big time, if you want to get us out of this one, as relying on stats is a joke.
After all, I’ve just seen the headline where Villa and Newcastle defenders are top of the stat tables in one area.
And we all know where both clubs are currently at.

Perhaps more importantly though, is, if the stories that Sherwood didn’t approve of the moneyball approach were leaked by him (which seems very likely, when you read about how he apparently undermined Villas-Boas by leaking to the press), I suspect it’s this alone that will lead to his demise more than anything else.
You might be able to stab a manager in the back, but it won’t work against the owner and his Chief executive.
Although it does at least raise the issue and perhaps Sherwood already knows his days are numbered?
I mean, would anyone want to highlight the problem, if he thought his job was safe?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. VillaFan October 12, 2015 at 2:43 am . Reply

I’d take Buck Rodgers over Timmy Wimmy right now, never mind Brenda Rodgers!

I still can’t believe why nothing has happened yet, 2 games to save his job, we already know the results – a complete demolition job vs Chelsea where their defence suddenly looks tighter than a you know what, and a shambolic mistake vs Swansea leaving us with 0 points from 2 games – all wrapped up in head scratching tactics, shabby up front, Lescott at the back and a few useless floated corners from Westdud.

2. badger123 October 12, 2015 at 6:59 am . Reply

In other news, we’re apparently tracking the 18 yo Swiss striker Breel Embolo.
    The cost?
    £20 million.

Two hopes.
    But you have to laugh, I suppose.

1. GIDDYVILLAN October 12, 2015 at 8:40 am . Reply

There’s tracking someone & realisticly in the market to purchase him,we’ll just stick to surfing the transfer market & keep on dreaming.we’re a FUCKING joke of a club

3. Hitchens 60 October 12, 2015 at 8:03 am . Reply

Two words – Cleveland Browns.

Their fans did warn us.

4. conroy jones (@conzchat) October 12, 2015 at 7:56 pm . Reply

Sherword kept us up and we’re all grateful for that. Nice cup run then the wheels came off in the final. But from the games just before the final, where we got walloped by Swansea and beaten at home by Burnley, who were all ready demoted, the warning signs were there. Sherwood stuck to the line up of those last 2 sad league games for his choice of players for the FA Cup final and we were a joke in that. Why he couldnt bring Gil in for those last games, heaven only knows.

Sherwood started off as a good motivator. We all loved the deserved win over Spurs. He even squeezed the last drop of footballer out of characters like Nzogbia and made Cleverly looked classy by the time he left. However, it’d started to dry up, before the end of last season, and who could sit through watching our FA Cup final again?

He’s now at a stage where he doesnt have confidence in his own grand plan. Against Stoke he didnt field the more creative combo of Gil & Grealish until they came on as subs in the second half. Perhaps with good reason he’s reluctant to give Traore more than 30 minutes. We should have been on the front foot against Stoke, right from the beginning, its Villa Park for Christ sake.

These days I struggle with his line up, and nearly always scratch my head over his substitutions. Yes, he has to get a result with at least one of the next two games. He’s made it hard upon himself.

5. bencey83 October 14, 2015 at 10:23 pm . Reply

Moyes?! Haven’t we learned our lesson with Scottish managers?! Our Head of Recruitment or whoever is responsible for signing players clearly hasn’t got a clue! And Sherwood clearly hasn’t got a clue who his best players are or what his football philosophy is. Overall, Villa is a club in a complete mess. I’d also like to point out that our style of play is very much in the mould of Ray Wilkins – pass it backwards!