Liverpool 2- 0 Villa; Questions

Well, at least it wasn’t the thrashing that many of us were expecting.
And to be honest, I thought we did quite well.
Let’s face it, noone has taken a point at Anfield this season, so I don’t think we should feel too bad.

Of course, it’s not good that I perceive a 2-0 defeat as not too bad, but I really don’t think that was a 2-0 game. A 1-0 or even a draw would have been fairer, to my mind.

There were a few good points to come out of the game, in that we looked like we cared, fought as best we could and most importantly, looked like we actually had a plan.

Smith set us up with a 4-4-1-1, with the defence looking a lot better drilled than it has done for most of the season and us looking to hit Liverpool on the counter.
It was mostly effective too and we’d stopped them creating pretty much anything for the first hour or so.
I was actually feeling quite confident up until then, but as the game went on I always had the feeling that the Reds would score.
I wouldn’t say they were particularly better than us, but we just look so impotent up front, that a defeat had a bit of inevitability about it.
It’s sod’s law that we’ve improved the defence, but now look totally devoid of any scoring ability.

I’m not going to slate anyone particularly today, because I think the overall effort was very reasonable.
But I could probably name at least four or five players who just frankly weren’t good enough today.

Which is our problem, I feel.
There are too many players who just aren’t good enough, certainly to compete with a sub-par Liverpool and we just don’t have the replacements to call on when they’re tiring and need replacing.

Ah well, that’s just where we’re at as a team and there’s nothing we can do about it.

But I find I’m asking myself questions.
I’ll tell you in advance that I don’t think Man Utd will cane us either.

And if we do put up a decent, albeit probably losing, performance against a Utd side that is bang on form, does that mean we should be able to beat lesser sides?

Have we actually got the fight and desire needed to scratch some points?

From what I saw today, I’d say it’s still a possibilty.
And I still haven’t given up hope.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Holte66 July 7, 2020 at 5:50 pm .

I reckon the premier league could cope very well without fans in the stadiums. As long as games are televised and clubs get their fat slices of TV revenue, then who cares about the fans!
    I mentioned last time we were in the championship, it reminded me of the days before Sky and it’s super 6. The players seemed more approachable and the games were more entertaining.
    The premier league bores me to death sometimes with its ‘star’ players on more money each week then the average man earns in 3-4 years.
    I welcome championship football again. Screw the premier league and Sky’s love affair with Citeh, Liverpool & co.
    However if we do by some miracle survive relegation, I will retract all above. 😒

Hitchens60 July 7, 2020 at 10:12 pm .

Holte – my thoughts exactly. EPL fan order of importance is 1. Pay the TV companies, 2. Buy the merchandise and 3. Actually attend games.

Restarting EPL and EFL whilst abandoning all other football early says it all – money drives the decisions pure and simple and to hell with it if some lower league team (make that teams) go bust. Another example of not being concerned about the real fans.

On FFP – one would think they would have to relax the rules but don’t bet on it.

Bum Bum July 7, 2020 at 6:45 pm .

Come on Norwich!!!!

Holte66 July 7, 2020 at 7:16 pm .

Watford winning 2-1. Unless Norwich equalise we are down.

Bill Pearson.. July 7, 2020 at 7:35 pm .

Just seen it . I finally know there’s no God above for us.

beamo July 7, 2020 at 7:40 pm .

Final nail this evening – it’s over. Now Smith needs to walk

badger123 July 7, 2020 at 8:32 pm .

There’s no way on earth Smith will walk.
      No way.

Holte66 July 7, 2020 at 7:51 pm .

Well one thing is for sure and that is Smith can’t shut up shop and hope for a 1-0 against United. Trouble is even with Fergie time we won’t score a goal.

Bum Bum July 7, 2020 at 8:03 pm .

Shit. So unless we beat Utd, we’re down.

badger123 July 7, 2020 at 8:29 pm .

Er, no.
      If we lose to Utd, we’d be 4 points behind Watford, with 4 games to go.

West Ham 33 8 7 18 40 58 -18 31
      Watford 34 7 10 17 31 53 -22 31
      VILLA 33 7 6 20 36 62 -26 27
      Bournemouth 33 7 6 20 32 59 -27 27
      Norwich 34 5 6 23 26 63 -37 21

You might think we’re down, but it wouldn’t be mathematically.

Bum Bum July 8, 2020 at 2:07 am .

Mathematically yes. Realistically we’re finished.

Holte66 July 7, 2020 at 8:08 pm .

Not going to happen. Even Liverpool on their holidays turned us over, simply because we can’t score. I never feel like a goal is coming these days. No creativity in the final third and without a goalscorer is a recipe for disaster.

nath July 7, 2020 at 8:18 pm .

i only caught the last half hour on the watford game. norwich looked dead in the period i saw. watford just hanging on time wasting etc. looked a dull game. didnt see any goals just a reply of the overhead which was special

beat manure or else we in the smelly brown stuff

p/s these 6 pm games are totally pi ss ing me off why can they not do 7 pm what is the big deal about 6

Holte66 July 7, 2020 at 9:08 pm .

Reading forums, it seems that the fan base is split on Smith. I don’t think there is any point in any changes till the end of season.
    I’m on the fence about Smith. I’m definitely not regarding Suso and JT however. They should definitely go IMO. There must be some changes surely. You can’t blame the players too much when they are out of their depth. With Smith I question whether he can rebuild and replicate last season. If he does get the boot we must be sure that we get someone proven. I really don’t know that many names who would fit the bill though.
    A Villa fan I work with said that due to the pandemic, the FFP rules have been relaxed. I don’t know much about this or whether it will benefit us next season assuming we are in the championship.

badger123 July 7, 2020 at 9:26 pm .

Holte, there will be no changes until the end of the season.
      Why would there be?
      It would only create instability.

Personally, I don’t know about Smith.
      He can play a game under a recruiting team, as he did at Brentford.
      Hence I have to suspect that the problem is with our recruiting team and I agree, they should go.

I’ve emphasised that the average buying cost was very low, so I do think there is some leeway there and I fear some of our signings will be dumped and move on to much better things, same as when we first went down.

I 100% believe the FFP rules will be relaxed. They have to be, because Covid has ruined everything.

But how about this for a fact that I heard from an epidimiologist on WM, while drivng home from work;

The number of under 45’s who have died in this current year is lower than last year, up to now.

My brain was blown when I heard that.

Hitchens60 July 7, 2020 at 10:18 pm .

Another form of ‘money ball’ with Smith being overruled, I reckon, on a number of decisions.

JT looks disinterested and Suso has added nothing – get rid of both. Give Smith control over transfers and keep him as manager.

There, I’ve nailed my colours to the mast or, more likely, my arse to the fence! 🙂