Villa – Man Utd; It’s now or never, nearly

It seems strange having a game on Thursday and indeed, I nearly forgot about it.

I think overall, there’s not really much to say, is there?
We need points and while losing tomorrow won’t mean guaranteed relegation in itself, you don’t need me to tell you that if we don’t get some sharpish, we’re simply running out of games.

I haven’t seen any of Man Utd’s games since project restart, but a friend of mine watched one and said they looked very impressive.
Which doesn’t bode well, does it?

Add in our horrendous record against them (something that brings me the nearest to hating another club as it gets) and things look even worse.

I think if this were a normal home game, with the fans’ support, I’d be very confident of at least getting something out of this game.
Even so, I’m reasonably confident that we might get a point in an empty Villa Park.
I don’t think I can go as far as predicting that we’ll win it, but if we can display a performance similar to the Liverpool one, we at least have a chance.
I certainly don’t think we’ll be steamrollered, put it that way.

The trouble is, it’s difficult to see where the goals will come from.
Our setpieces aren’t very good and we attack with far too little pace.

It’ll be interesting to see how Dean Smith sets up for this one.
Will he try and contain Utd, maybe with the hope of getting a point, with him thinking that we probably won’t get anything against Arsenal, but Palace, Everton and much more winnable?
I suspect he will and expect to see a very similar games as we saw against Liverpool.
The thought of us going defensive at VP doesn’t appeal, but it is probably the most logical approach.
As much as I’d like to see us really take it to Utd, I just don’t see it happening.

So basically we’re probably going to need some luck and I honestly struggle to remember the last time we had some of that, certainly in a good sense.

I haven’t heard any squad news lately, but am assuming Targett is still out.
Not that it matters much, as I doubt we’ll see many changes, if any at all.
Smith really doesn’t have much to choose from does he?

I’m going to go for a 1-1 result, in the hope that we actually get a setpiece right for once.

Holte66 July 10, 2020 at 7:45 pm .

One other thing is the fact that we have looked more and more clueless on the pitch as the season has progressed. This can only be blamed on the coaching. Our movement and finishing in the final third has gone from bad to worse. Who is in charge of coaching our attacking players? We assume Terry has been mostly responsible for the defensive side of our team. That’s why nearly everyone is saying he should go because he has failed and produced the worst defence in the league. When you consider we brought in Drinkwater and Baston due to injuries to McGinn and Wesley, this highlights all we need to know about how badly run the club is.

nath July 10, 2020 at 7:59 pm .

we got worse i think that could be down to the fact they are all demoralised. if you played any sport and you are losing often it gets a little tedious. i think the players were starting to fight amongst themselves towards the end of yesterdays game. i saw a few pointing fingers at each other. i also heard mings had a little coming together with mcginn. this is normal when the ship sinks you get this sort of stuff.

i think a few of us want the excuse be the manager fault or some other reason. but i think the only reason is we are sadly lacking in skill at this moment in time. david is good at raising his game once or twice aga0nst Goliath. but we needed to get the rub of the green ealier in season while the confidence was sky high. but we got screwed over again and again by var and refs, confidence dwindled to empty and now you can see the squad is at all time low,

i thought no crowd would help villa but it has had the opposite affect.

nath July 11, 2020 at 7:39 am .

i would love for somebody to revisit each game and count the blatant errors like the lansbury goal which robbed us of a perfect victory. or draw. its not a excuse that we have got no change out of the officials its a fact.

we the fans are now at the end of our tethers, but look back at each game if it wasn’t the ref and var, our own players also added to our downfall, by gifting goals at important stages in games.

at this moment the players are now at a stage, where they are starting to point fingers at their teammates. exactly how a team is made the band of brothers will rise from this chaos. we threw too many players at the beginning. we did not have the same team mentality as other teams in the league,cause they never been in trouble together until now they are up to their necks and sinking fast. characters had not had time to build, without the ball its easy to see this. we are poor probably the worst in this league. that is mostly down to us being a new team. this part of the game you can not take short cuts. individuals can win a game, but teams defend best together.

i hope there is a inquest in what went wrong. but i hope the truth is seen and we are not a bad side we just needed more time, luck and for the ref var not to cheat us. if we take this like a man and learn from this , we can be back stronger more prepared and flourish next time we grace this league.

Bill Pearson.. July 11, 2020 at 9:26 am .

RIP Jackie Charlton a legend in my eyes.

nath July 11, 2020 at 10:12 am .

🙁 really sad news. top bloke i remember him managing ireland he always picked villa players. when england failed to reach america we all supported him and ireland. they upset the Italians there in blazing hot weather. really sad news bill

Holte66 July 11, 2020 at 10:29 am .

Sad news. RIP Sir Jack.

Steve July 11, 2020 at 2:21 pm .

I love Jack to bits but since the restart he has been playing within himself which is disappointing. I thought he would be busting a gut and leading by example as a villa fan.

Steve July 11, 2020 at 2:23 pm .

As for Jack Charlton very sad. I saw him do a talk once very funny.
        Great man RIP

Roy Bracy July 11, 2020 at 4:43 pm .

Looking at Brentford who built that team? Smith over a few seasons. Maybe stick with Smith but have him select players he wants to play his systems.

Hitchens60 July 11, 2020 at 2:14 pm .

With today’s likely results (assuming Watford go on to win) Bournemouth and Villa to join Norwich looks more and more a foregone conclusion.

Roy Bracy July 11, 2020 at 2:32 pm .

Relegated to the championship 😬
    Start the rebuild now give some of the youngsters a game so that they can see what their missing and it might inspire them to get back and stay in premier League.
    No point playing has beens now.
    RIP Jack 🙏 that’s how you should defend as a defender.sad day all round 👼

Hitchens60 July 11, 2020 at 2:41 pm .

Strangely, I’m not overly fussed tbh. My only concern is that our owners stay committed to the cause.

Agree though, we need to start planning for next season and some big decisions to make. If there is a move to clear out coaching staff just get on with it now.

No excuse for Smith not to give some of the younger players a go now.

Hitchens60 July 11, 2020 at 2:42 pm .

I think I just contradicted myself 🙂 🙂

Bill Pearson.. July 11, 2020 at 2:48 pm .

No Hitch not at all, we’re down and it hurts, our youngster are gone so cannot think of them , the best would be to have a massive clear out from top to bottom no excuses. It’s all over now No way will we stay up as I’ve said since last year.

Holte66 July 11, 2020 at 3:12 pm .

Now that we are almost certainly down, we need to introduce a few of the youngsters. I’m guessing that Smith knows who will be off before next season, so don’t play them and focus on the future. And that includes Grealish. He isn’t going to be with us in the championship, neither will Mings, McGinn and probably Luiz. Trezeguets agent has already suggested he will be moving and he is dog shite! Has O’Hare signed for anyone yet?

Hitchens60 July 11, 2020 at 3:18 pm .

I have a suspicion we will struggle next season as we rebuild again – will that be something like the sixth time in four years – we’ll that’s what it feels like.

Perhaps we could get Bruce back 🙂

Bum Bum July 11, 2020 at 4:24 pm .

You can put me in the ‘quite rather f***ing livid’ catagory. A complete shower of shit from top to bottom. It’s actually embarrassing being a Villa fan now. We’re just a laughing stock.
    For instance, Westwood, not good enough for Villa but challenging for a European place next season. Why do so many players underperform at Villa and excel elsewhere? The list is effing endless.
    Livid. Tunbridge Wells.
    The team needs booing from start to finish… if there was a crowd there. Sorry, no sympathy for Smith at all. Look how we’ll Brentford are doing…

Hitchens 60 July 11, 2020 at 4:48 pm .

Actually hard to argue with any of that Bum Bum.

Bum Bum July 11, 2020 at 6:20 pm .

I cannot abide underachievement, and lack of effort and an inability to do the job you’ve asked for. Nobody is perfect but the lot of them from top to bottom should hang their heads. These guys all earn a fortune we can never dream of and they give us this. Appalling.