Capital cup 3rd round; Blues get 2800 tickets and an appeal

I’ve noticed there have been no comments on the blues only getting 2,800 tickets for the Capital cup game at Villa park.

I have to confess, I was somewhat disappointed when I saw that, as the Villa-blues derby is still a classic, even though the meejah might not see it the same way.

There are more romantic derbies in the other big cities, but the difference is that we’ve rarely been at similar levels, at least in my lifetime.
Even when we were struggling in the third division of old, we were drawing in massive crowds, for example.
Which embarrassed the blues at the time, even though they were in a higher league.

Conversely, blues have had sporadic periods of better attendances, but from what I recall in my very briefest research, that’s all it has been; sporadic.

So it doesn’t quite do it for the papers.
The point is, we’ve never really been on a par, so there’s no real rivalry.

But we all know it’s as vicious as it gets for the younger fans.
We boast pretty much everything we’ve done is better, while the blues fans boast they’ve won something in this century.
They have a fair point.
Regardless, it’s about as tribal a game as there is anywhere, in my opinion.

So back to that 2,800.
Personally, I think they’re lucky to get that many seats.
It’ll be a long time before I forget about them lobbing bottles and stones at the penned-in Villa fans, who included women and kids, at the sty.
Not that we don’t have our own crew, who are probably just as bad,of course.

But that’s what’s ruined one of the best derbies going.
Hooligans from both sides, involving the totally innocent, who only want to watch the game and don’t want to see a punch-up.

If there was no trouble, there would probably be ten thousand noses at the ground.
Imagine what an atmosphere that would create, eh?

I can somewhat understand younger fans wanting to have a go at the enemy.
Blimey, I thought like that when I was younger and no doubt the British Army love it.

But for god’s sake, if you’re going to go down that road, think about what you’re doing lads, especially in front of kids and women.

Apologies if you think I should try and sweep this under the carpet and play it down, but we all know it’s going to go off, don’t we?

1. GIDDYVILLAN
    GIDDYVILLAN September 6, 2015 at 8:27 am .

I hope Tim knows how much passion this fixture holds to us VILLA fans & picks the team accordingly.micky mouse cup or not bragging rights are at stake I’m sure we’ll still remain the pride of the second city for years to come.UTV SOTC

2. Vaze
    Vaze September 6, 2015 at 11:22 am .

I would imagine the Blose are paying the penalty for the Baggies chucking seats and the numerous pitch invasions at the last local derby cup match.

That said, 2,800 is still a lot of potential trouble. Some of the worst things I’ve seen were around the The Sty when I went to a couple of games on my own as mates just didn’t think it was worth the bother when on TV.

A bloke in his seventies pushing his wheelchair bound wife set upon by noses as he had a Villa tracksuit top on.

Young lad (fourteen or fifteen) walking with his arm around his girlfriend attacked by half a dozen or more men in their thirties and forties as he had a Villa shirt on.

Bottles and bricks raining down on men, women & children in the little holding area after the match with the late Gabby winner.

These aren’t football fans, they’re animals and not welcome.

3. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson September 6, 2015 at 3:31 pm .

Vaze, don’t know how old you are but I’ve seen a young boy smacked in the face walking with his dad at the Albion game after a match, to me they are animals, and I’ll even say cowards, I’ve done my bit for Queen and country, but today we have cowards thinking they are men, put them in the army and they would shit themselves, I’m glad I’m the generation from the forties. Utv,

4. pat57
    pat57 September 6, 2015 at 3:41 pm .

Just hope the police and stewards have their act together this time.

I remember some of the clashes in the 70s and 80s when the trip to St. Andrews was literally entering enemy territory. It was truly frightening at times and we don’t want to see more of that.

What we do want to see is more 1988, successive 5-0 and 6-0 tonkings in cup matches. More of that please Tim.

UTV

1. Bill Pearson
      Bill Pearson September 6, 2015 at 4:27 pm .

Pat57, can you remember Villa stewards on the side of that ground having stewards from Villa ? That was the first time we did it, Steve Stride was against it, I have in my file a report saying that the Villa fans and thier stewards averted a pretentious situation, we was praised for good conduct.

1. pat57
        pat57 September 6, 2015 at 4:41 pm .

Sorry Bill remember the score line bit only vaguely remember the stewards. Remember there was always trouble though. Glad things are better these days in that respect.

5. Ardent Villain
    Ardent Villain September 6, 2015 at 7:19 pm .

Reading some of the comments has brought back a few bad memories. I found that some of the worst problems happened well away from the ground – the old pedestrian underpasses in the city centre were no-go areas for hours before and after a Villa-Blues game, and I also remember a lot of very unpleasant scenes in some [‘neutral’] city-centre pubs long after the games had finished.

But back to my main point: regardless of how many tickets the Scum take up, I just hope that the club are far better prepared in terms of stewarding then they were for the WBA game – and will act far quicker than they did, whether that’s controlling ‘over enthusiastic’ Villa fans, or ejecting the inbreds straight into police hands.

6. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson September 6, 2015 at 7:35 pm .

Ardent, now there’s the thing, I’ve seen police scared of being in position of surrounding football fans, I remember 3 policemen at the rear of Witton end in the away section, I turned up with 6 stewards and boy was they glad to see us, today stewards are paid to monitor gangways, doors and scuffles, 80s they dealt with troubles. today its not allowed for safety reasons, police can have all the O levels but common sense you’re born with, how many do we have today in football grounds? Not many.

1. Ardent Villain
      Ardent Villain September 6, 2015 at 8:10 pm .

Bill I can well imagine that stewards today are probably very restricted in what they are allowed to do as far as man-handling trouble-makers is concerned; that puts even more emphasis on the police to deal with people once they’ve been removed from the ground.

If the police can’t provide enough manpower, or are reluctant to be appropriately ‘physical’ with ejected troublemakers, then there’ll be chaos…

7. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson September 6, 2015 at 8:19 pm .

Ardent , exactly there will be trouble. unfortunately the club will pay.

8. badger123
    badger123 September 7, 2015 at 1:50 am .

That’s the thing Ardent.
    The Stewards these days (and I don’t want it to sound like sour grapes, but this did happen to me) are more interested in throwing you out for holding an unlit cigarette.

And the police are not allowed to get physical, as you say.
    One of my endearing memories at VP was when we played the Arse and they had a go at the Holte.
    This copper must have been 6ft 10″ and about 20 stone, with a large, but not overweight build.
    He just waded towards the trouble and started yanking fighting lads by the hair and flinging them to the floor.
    A truly scary sight, although I suspect he loved the violence too.
    I’m not sure I’d want to go back to that, but it might be better than just allowing fans to run riot

9. badger123
    badger123 September 8, 2015 at 7:03 am .

On a different note, it seems Gana didn’t train yesterday, as he’s tweaked his hamstring.
    Hopefully it’s not serious.

10. GIDDYVILLAN
    GIDDYVILLAN September 8, 2015 at 2:23 pm .

Will we ever have a full strength team to put out???