How’s the leg, Fabian Delph?

I’ve always liked Delph, as I’m sure many of you will know.
Even at his low points, where he looked poor in an even more poor team, I always supported him.
Ok, I might have slipped occasionally in that view, but basically I always liked him.

And the fact is whatever you think of him, the price he sold for was daft for an England international.

So I felt somewhat abused in the way he left, after all the spiel that he came out with (although in fairness, I think much of this was encouraged by the club).

But a big part of me wished him well, even though I felt he’d betrayed us.
I could understand the basic reasons behind him leaving, which are miles more money and a chance of winners medals, if he can actually get a game. They’re undeniable points.

But at the same time, that spiel wound me right up, so much so that I, (jokingly, I hasten to add) hinted that he might break a leg.
Well, he hasn’t quite, but after having done his hamstring after a short time in pre-season training, he’s now done it again while playing for England.

The absolute truth is that when I heard the news, I nearly wet myself laughing.

But I really shouldn’t.
Or should I?

I’ve very mixed feelings here, as he’s a traitor in my eyes, after the way the club looked after him.
But he’s also an England player, where we want all of the squad playing and on form.

That said, this is surely one of the most average England squads I’ve seen in a very long time.
Which is something I’m sure many of you will class Delph as.

I know.
Some of you will be asking why I’m talking about him.

The truth is, there isn’t much going on really, is there?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. 88 September 9, 2015 at 10:10 pm . Reply

I liked Delph in a Villa shirt and was impressed by the way he has fitted in to England set up, but he was injured for a long time and the club stuck by him. However when I think back to his set the record straight speech and subsequent actions I have nothing but contempt for him and I genuinely think he deserves every bit of bad luck he gets.
    He is history now. And if I had been given the choice of keeping one of Delph Cleverley or Westwood it would have been westy – a seriously underrated player by many fans but luckily not by Tim.

2. Dave.C September 10, 2015 at 1:00 am . Reply

Like every other Villa fan I hate the way he left, but I’ll always remember his stunning strike against Southampton and his incredible finish at home to Chelsea, it really was Messi like.
    I’ve a friend who’s a Leeds fan and he thought Villa had signed the next big thing when we nabbed Delph, it didn’t quite turn out that way but I did get the feeling he was finally starting to shine when he decided to leave. He’ll never realise his potential at Citeh that’s for sure.

3. Benno September 10, 2015 at 1:15 am . Reply

Gana will be a better player in time. Looks like he is out with a hamstring strain which is a shame as he was prob best player last game alongside Sanchez.

4. Bill Pearson September 10, 2015 at 11:54 am . Reply

I see Sherwood saying our skilful players will be targeted in games now, he’s asking them to toughen up, is this why we are getting injuries in training? It looks like it to me.he’s singled out Gil, Grealish, as main possible and couple more,asking for refs to get tough. Where is the big boys today if a player was getting stick they would give them a reminder to play the game.well they did in my time, mark you I did hobble off a few games.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath September 10, 2015 at 3:24 pm . Reply

Isn’t that what pre season is for getting fitness strength etc right fit the games. What the hell are they doing at BMH

5. originallondonlion September 10, 2015 at 8:06 pm . Reply

I am with Andrew on the subject of Delph. Apart from his record short appearance for England, he holds another unwanted record. No player in Villa history (who played in more than one season) has a worse record for home defeats. He frequently appeared amongst the defenders at set pieces and failed to follow the run of the player he was marking. When the defence was looking to hit the ball long he ran towards the player on the ball – often obstructing the long pass. He would switch into the defensive funk mode as soon as Villa were pressured, when defenders needed him running away from them into space for a pass.
    Suitable for the England midfield but no good for an EPL team.

Once in a Blue Moon he played well, so he has gone to the right club to be reminded of that.