Anyone else seeing a pro-Lambert campaign going on?

Now, it may just be me and indeed I have been accused of being a dreamer or maybe more realistically, a total idiot, but I’ve noticed a massive amount of online support for Lambert occurring lately.

You won’t see it on here, as we have no-one fighting Lambert’s corner.
If there was someone, we’d go out of our way to put the argument up, as that’s what we’re about.
But there isn’t.

So now go and have a look around at other Villa sites.
Not that we want you to, but we know you do anyway.
And you’ll see that there seems very strong support for Lambert from certain quarters.
Support that seems out of proportion. Support that keeps spinning the same line of “who will we get in?”

I don’t really want to name sites, but look at one and see how Fear gets pretty much blasted in reply to one of his articles.
There’s another one, on an American based site.
The replies are all pretty much the same, in that while they slate Lambert, they pretty much consistently say that we should stick with him.
Any polls they run though, say they are totally wrong, with votes being 2-1 in favour of getting rid of Lambert.

I don’t know. I might be totally wrong and I do love a conspiracy theory, but it seems to me there’s a concerted effort going on to try and save Lambert’s neck.

Have a look around and tell me what you think.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    OriginalLondonLion January 6, 2015 at 1:09 pm .

IIRTW you are quite selective in your selection of Lambert buys. Richardson Cole Tonev Helenius can be added to those successes by way of balance. And as for his record of never getting a team relegated, now that Warnock has gone I am guessing no manager in the Premiership has had a team relegated – or did Pardew manage it with Charlton?

I don’t think managers should be sacked mid season unless the club is in the drop zone, but I think Lambert should have gone last summer and I hope he goes next summer. Our style of play is boring: the quality in the attacking half is atrocious and getting no better.

Hitchens 60 January 6, 2015 at 1:34 pm .

OLL; the point is where he has spent a decent amount of money he’s bought well but with very little funds, a threadbare squad and no money for wages he also had to buy in the bargain basement. He took a punt and, probably, only Westwood and Bacuna will survive it but what else could he do?

DSVilla January 6, 2015 at 1:51 pm .

I think a certain Mr Bruce at the blues did that (got relegated that is). Hitchens is right too. I think the argument is that where Lambert has spent decent money it has been on good players. Then again, you are right in regards to our abysmal attacking play!

ifiruledtheworld January 6, 2015 at 3:13 pm .

I’m pretty sure we didn’t spend a good amount of money on the likes of Richardson, Tonev, Helenius, Cole, who was a free. As for managers in the premiership who got their club relegated.. Steve Bruce with small heath, Alan Pardew with Charlton, Roberto Martinez with Wigan and Harry Redknapp has gotten the likes of QPR and Southampton relegated, to name a few.

My point is, while his negatives largely out-way his positives, at least it isn’t all doom and gloom with Paul Lambert, although it certainly feels like it!

steve January 6, 2015 at 1:26 pm .

Take the first 4 games out of the season (we were lucky in 2 of those) we have 13 points from the last 16 games.
    If the season was in 2014 only we would have been relegated.
    Scored fewer goals than any other team in the top 4 divisions with a strike force Benteke, Gabby and Weimann (on there day that other teams around us would envy.
    I agree Lambert has made some very good signings but tactically I believe he is inept.
    Albrighton in the centre of midfield !!!!
    I had i hopes of Weimann being a strike partner to Benteke. But Lambert has ruined him by playing him wide. He bought Bacuna for that role.
    To sum up I am just bored of everything about our great club at the moment.The fans need a lift not more of the same.

#HELENIUS January 7, 2015 at 12:23 pm .

Weimanns inability to finish ruins him being a decent strike partner, therefore, Lamberts utilises his only strength, which is his engine…..Although a wide player should be able to pass/cross, another flawed attribute of Weimanns

OriginalLondonLion January 6, 2015 at 3:53 pm .

The fact that a player is Free or cheap does not mean you have to buy them because their wages certainly are not cheap.

My point Hitchens was that Lerner could have refused to manage under those conditions and quit, putting the bind back on Lerner. As Tony Pulis did with that Palace skinflint. When you have “Lost the Seats” as Lambert has just done you are in big trouble. Numbers stay away, Sponsors are unhappy, the atmosphere is toxic – which affects players you have and those considering coming. Thst is where we are, Steve above writes everything else I need say.

Bill Pearson January 6, 2015 at 4:04 pm .

I totally agree Originallondonlion, that’s what I’m getting at, its run the club down with his ideas or Lerner’s. A hard road back for any manager, but won’t be him.

DSVilla January 6, 2015 at 4:49 pm .

OLL you are right in many points but you should perhaps consider that some of the replies are too. As for Lambert quitting like Pulis I suspect the two situations are different. Lambert has probably fulfilled his original brief from Lerner. I suspect Pulis was misled and believed he would be given greater transfer funds.

I don’t think anyone is really trying to argue that lambert is a proven top manager and that the football has been any good for some time now. There are areas though where he can be given some credit, and one of these is in picking decent players for reasonable sums of money, and those names are obvious. Where he has bought cheap it hasn’t really worked out, but it shouldn’t cripple the club. All managers buy players that don’t work out. Look at some of the players Fergie bought. Nobody seems to feel that makes him a crap manager, likewise Wenger.

I suspect if Lambert could buy players around £6-8M for all positions he would create a team of very good players. Quite how well they would all play together is harder to argue.

I don’t think continual change will help us, but at the same time I’m not convinced sticking with Lambert is the right plan. It does, however, appear to be Lerner’s plan, and I suspect that Lambert will keep his job unless we slip into the relegation spots. If the club were sold I guess that would be a different matter, but it would have to be someone with very deep pockets to purchase the club, pay off the manager and backroom staff, and fund an expensive overhaul of the playing staff (assuming that could even be done given FFP). The only alternative might be for another manager to be appointed who is prepared to work with the players we already have. Who on earth would take the job under those constraints? I suspect someone we probably don’t want.

Supporting Aston Villa is pretty painful, and it’s difficult to see how and when this is going to change. It is reasonable to argue that Lambert should be fired given Steve’s arguments, but it looks to me like that is wishful thinking. We need to see improvement sooner rather than later, and if we do maybe Lambert should be kept in place for a bit longer. If not, it’s really hard to imagine how bad things will get.

Colonius81 January 6, 2015 at 5:33 pm .

I don’t think there is a mass conspiracy, that is my thoughts completely, he isn’t performing that well or his team isn’t, hit and miss with transfers, – and we haven’t moved from relegation fight in 3 seasons. but who would we get in?
    We all know the the resources available and its won’t attract a top manager.
    so whats the point?
    But you seem to be surprised by the fact that the majority of people online disagreeing with you wanting Lambert ousted immediately with no viable suggestion of a definitely more qualified and better Manager to take over?

If anything I am just as surprised – it shows a certain logic in the Villa masses! rare from a football fan collective to be honest!

Hire and fire and hire and fire, it doesn’t work or at the very best is just as likely to succeed as giving a relatively young manager that is struggling more than 2 and half seasons to get villa to slightly higher level of mediocrity that in all likelihood would still mean people would want him fired for.

The manager has a big impact, true, but show me a team with Aston villas budget, chairman and squad in the premier league doing much better.

( i know southampton and west ham will be on most peoples lips, Southampton is run very differently from the chairman down after near oblivion. they have also been very lucky with youth talent coming through, They are to be admired but not an apple and apple comparison.

West ham of course are more like us in status ( not in history just in terms of relative league position the last couple of seasons and squad depth.
    I will say they have a bigger wage budget, but their manager was being slated for playing the most rubbish football last season .. rightly so rightly so for our villa fans too. we have every right to complain if its shite football.
    but they stuck with the manager and he had turned it around to the wham we see this season

If West hams differences are to be ignored, and their similarities are to be compared..
    then there example also disagrees with your idea of fire Lambert and take a complete shot in the dark with the same resources.

Colonius81 January 6, 2015 at 5:35 pm .

eek apologies for the incoherence, at work and had to post a bit quickly! hopefully you still get my gist

Ardent Villain January 6, 2015 at 7:40 pm .

Badger – your point about the Villa Academy is quite interesting.

It’s seemed obvious to me for several years that the Academy just doesn’t produce Premier League players of any quality.

Year after year we have had the ‘next great hope’ being trumpeted by those who say they still go watch the young Villa games: remember the Moore brothers, The Fonz, and more recently Albrighton and Weimann. Today it seems to be Grealish, or Robinson…

Yet where have any of these ever ended-up: playing for a top-4 EPL side? playing for a European side? Sadly most seem to have landed in the lower divisions pretty rapidly after leaving VP, and not because of their age, either.

Might it be that the Academy has been a useless drain on resources and at the very least needs a complete overhaul, or even scrapping altogether??

SJS24 January 6, 2015 at 8:30 pm .

One of my colleagues is a Southampton fan, and I questioned the academy and its success! Basically Southampton play the players out of age. 17 yr olds In The under 21 etc. this is also evidenced then by their 1st team

Andrew January 6, 2015 at 8:55 pm .

I think the problem with the academy is that bar Houllier we haven’t had a manager willing to give any of them the chance to come through. While I agree Badger that maybe most them aren’t good enough, like at most academies, the ones that looked to have had potential have never been given a chance to show their worth. Going on loan to League One sides isn’t going to give them that experience they need, and can often make really good players look poor. It doesn’t exactly help them out.

Baker’s proven he’s good enough and he came in at 13. Does anyone actually think his loans to Lincoln and Millwall did much for him? I certainly don’t. He got a chance in the Premeir League and he’s made it.

Clark’s been at Villa since he was 11 and he’s proving himself as Premier League quality, no? He’s not gone on loan and that has helped him.

Gabby joined at the age of 8, his 10 games at Wednesday and Watford did nothing for his career and he’s proven especially under O’Neill he was a handy player. Never good enough for the passing style but when it comes to counter attacking there isn’t much better.

All 3 spent very little time on loan and they’ve made it or are currently making it into the first team on a regular basis and putting in good enough performances for a Premier League side.

So do we really need to send players on loan? No, as the lower leagues are at so much of a lesser level that it’s not going to help any of them.

They need senior playing time and Grealish looks a handy player that with the right creative guidance will go far. However currently doesn’t have that so when he tries something, it looks likely to fail because he doesn’t work in the current team, neither does Robinson.Abdo soon will be in that group who looks the most talented but won’t get a shot at Villa under Lambert. Much like Siegrist hasn’t bar being better than Steer. Clearly the academy isn’t at the rate of Southampton’s as they’re producing first team stars and at best we’re producing first team squad players, but it’s still better than 90% of the teams in the league and we could be producing more if they would get the chance. I don’t think Lambert would give any of them that chance.

nath January 6, 2015 at 9:15 pm .

the youth going out on loan will bring them on more, than playing youth and reserves at villa. i think the quality of the villa youth set up has been stagnant for years, it needs a make over, also saints youth set up used to on a tv channel 4 show years ago, it maybe not on the same scale as at villa and man city, but they have been doing it right for many years, now are reaping the goods, it comes and goes man utd have struggled to bring through their youths, since the can’t win anything with kids era.

other than that we have produce some, gary cahill,steve davis and craig gardiner all are very good premiership players, trouble they aren’t playing for us

Andrew January 7, 2015 at 4:01 am .

I realize it gets them time but it gets them time in 3 really poor leagues, no better than the reserves. Cahill went out on loan twice… Guess what good that did Villa, he left. Neither in the Premier League and he went to Bolton instead of staying.
        Craig Gardner and Davis are both strong premier league players as you said, not with us. But going on loan to poor sides aren’t going to get them better. They need top flight chances to prove this.

nath January 7, 2015 at 9:00 am .

going out on loan, helps the kids from the youth teams at big clubs like ours,cos they are pampered with top notch facilities, everything is done for them. they get a rude awakening when they actually play the game in front of a real crowd and in a men game the physical aspect,

gary cahill isn’t unlike most, he went to burnley for his first taste of 1st team action, he did really well some players his age fail for one reason or another, sometimes its the better potential youth stars just don’t progress in the 1st team. but cahill improved massively and at sheffutd and was wrongly dis guarded by mon,

finally if you think he hadn’t improved by the loans, then bolton were prepared to risk a massive 5 million for them, on a player with limited villa games ( remove the loans ) and it would av been a bigger gamble.

gary megson at the time said he couldn’t believe villa let him go ,seems everyone knew apart from mon that he would one day be a top player

loans help as a finishing ground, at no risk from the parent club as the youth gets a taste of 1st team action, its not just villa all clubs send the youth away if they need more work

Hitchens 60 January 6, 2015 at 9:04 pm .

Here’s a silly thought for you all to demolish. PL is an inexperienced PL manager in a perfect position to learn his trade with no come back if he fails – no money, reduced wage bill etc. etc.

It just occurred to me that he is experimenting with various strategies, playing styles, tactical decisions and learning as he goes (or some will argue not learning as he goes). If they fail so what? As I’ve said before he’s not ‘bomb proof’ ( can be fired) but he’s certainly fireproof and I suspect would come out of this with his reputation intact.

As to a new manager – we could follow the Baggies and appoint a new one every six months – that should do it 🙂

OriginalLondonLion January 6, 2015 at 9:26 pm .

He may be learning on the job Hitchens, but he is not learning fast enough. A Manager should have a problem sorted no more than one week after the ‘managers in the seats’ have spotted it. N’zogbia is still drawing a wage, and dirtying a kit. Explain.

Hitchens 60 January 6, 2015 at 10:59 pm .

OLL – if PL can’t explain it as a manager then neither can I! My post was meant to be tongue in cheek!

Andrew January 7, 2015 at 4:04 am .

Villa had the 7th highest wage bill last season though. Yes it dropped 10k a week from under McLeish due to Stewart Downing, Brad Friedel, Luke Young, Nigel Reo-Coker and Jean Makoun all leaving, all were going to leave anyways and were all on large wages. But it’s not like Villa have been paying garbage wages.

Source.

#HELENIUS January 7, 2015 at 1:45 pm .

Ah, that incredibly reliable itk site…..psshhhhhhh!!!!!!