Where Villa stand in the top 50 brand index

THE TOP 50 BRAND INDEX
(Download the PDF)

I know many of you might not care about this, but I quite like these sort of listings, as even though we’ve been going through tough times in the last few seasons, we really are seen to be a big club when it comes to world rankings.
Consider last season, where we were ranked the 21st biggest club in the world, for instance.
That’s the WORLD.
Which is pretty impressive, if you consider we’d looked likely relegation candidates for a while.
Of course, much of that ranking came about purely because of our place in the Premier league, but we still came higher than many other Premier league clubs.
The brand loyalty must surely have had a lot to do with that, as we have a very good fan base, but that can only take you so far.

Which is why we’ve now fallen to 41st in the top 50.
That’s to be expected given that we’re not in the Premier league anymore and indeed only Newcastle are ranked higher if we’re looking at English clubs outside the Premier league.
I could debate if Newcastle are actually a bigger club than us, but it’s completely fair to say they get bigger attendances at home, which must equal more income.

But then I look at some of the clubs that have overtaken us and it makes me want to weep.

We look at the top 10 and it includes the usual top 6, of course.
Then there’s Everton at number 13, who are worth the best part of 2.5 times what we are according to the index.
If ever there’s a club that are pretty much on a par with us, I’d suggest it’s them, but regardless, that’s how it is.

Then we go a bit further down and West ham are rated at 14, followed by Leicester City, Southampton, Stoke City,
West Bromwich Albion, Sunderland, Crystal Palace and Swansea City.
Really?

Which is the annoying part.
None of these clubs are on a par, in my opinion and except for perhaps Sunderland, none of them have a following as large as ours by a long chalk.

So ultimately, the brand loyalty stuff doesn’t matter so much and it’s all about the money.
Which is fair enough, as that’s all that matters these days.
Those lesser clubs are in the Prem and we aren’t, it’s as simple as that.

Still, the good news is we can easily jump up this table by twenty places.
All we need to do is get promoted.
Which all means Tony Xia’s purchase of Aston Villa could very well prove to be extremely prudent, especially if we can do it first time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Ardent Villain August 23, 2016 at 10:28 pm . Reply

See rumour that Hull may want Micah Richards – possibly in p/ex deal for Abel Hernandez.

That would do just fine…

1. pat57 August 24, 2016 at 9:58 am . Reply

Yes story in the Mirror saying that Phelan wants Richards in for Saturday’s game against Man U –

Phelan’s welcome to him. Even without Hernandez coming the other way it’s a clear win but if we get Hernandez as well then someone at Villa’s doing some extremely clever wheeling and dealing.

With De Laet in Hernandez would be the last piece in the puzzle for me.

BTW many congrats to Northampton for knocking the Baggies out of the EFL Cup. Well done lads.

2. Benno August 24, 2016 at 5:43 pm . Reply

If we can offload Richards, Gabby and Lescott as well as bringing in another striker, this will have been our best transfer window in a long long time!

1. Ardent Villain August 24, 2016 at 7:57 pm . Reply

We’re stuck with Gabby.

The fat gas-sniffer won’t go anywhere because he wants his £millions – and there’s not a club anywhere stupid-enough to take him off our hands.

Not even Rangers or any of the usual American, Turkish or Chinese suspects where most over-the-hill premier league players end their careers.

1. pat57 August 24, 2016 at 11:02 pm . Reply

@Ardent

Unfortunately I agree. Still we should find him something useful to do while he’s at VP, personally I’d have him cutting the grass…with a pair of nail scissors!

1. bws August 25, 2016 at 12:50 am . Reply

Just give him a book, that should see his contract out.

3. pat57 August 24, 2016 at 11:12 pm . Reply

Interestingly on Twitter someone suggested the Villa line up if we get Hernandez –

Gollini, Amavi, Chester, Elphick, De Laet, Tshibola, Jedinak, Grealish, Ayew, Hernandez and McCormack

Only 3 in the team that played last season (only 2 really as Amavi was out for most of it).

Well we said we needed a whole new team and it looks like RDM and Dr, Tony might not be far off giving us just that.

I feel we’re in a much better position than I would have expected after the long drawn out disaster of last season.

Still unsure if we’ll go up first try but beginning to think we might not be far off.

UTV

1. Henrik Bakholt August 25, 2016 at 12:03 am . Reply

The new Aston Villa number 9 will be a player who does a double somersault when he scores. That’s all I’ll say.

1. Dave.C August 25, 2016 at 12:42 am . Reply

Does that mean it’s going to be Max Whitlock the gymnast then Henrik? 😉

2. OriginalLondonLion August 25, 2016 at 3:46 pm . Reply

Not Ballotelli please.

1. Bill Pearson August 25, 2016 at 3:57 pm . Reply

OLL, what makes you think that, I’ve just choked on my dinner lad, that would be a disastrous move for us.heaven help us.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 25, 2016 at 8:04 pm . Reply

Being linked with Jordan Rhodes now

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 25, 2016 at 9:15 am . Reply

Agree we will just miss out this year but should do it next year as team would have gelled. It’s a big ask to go up this year with so many changes.

4. Bill Pearson August 25, 2016 at 12:46 pm . Reply

Never say die Oohah, stranger things happen, I’ll even say Leicester?

5. Tekkers48 August 25, 2016 at 10:22 pm . Reply

We have assembled a pretty good squad of new players in the summer with a few more to come in hopefully. If we can gel quickly and get a few wins together over the next few games the season could be very promising. I by no means expect us to win the league (this season) but I will not except that we cannot get automatic promotion on the basis of the last 4 games. It’s basically going to be a whole new starting 11 from last year’s rejects by the start of September. We have got what we have all being crying out for this last few years….. WE HAVE GOT OUR VILLA BACK … And although we have had to suffer a relegation along the way , it maybe just maybe the best slice of luck we have had in that we can build a team of winners out of the spotlight of the premier league. I hope that we are laying the foundations for the future of this club and that in ten years time we will look back and say that the season we were relegated was the beginning of the rebirth of the mighty Aston Villa FC !

Deluded ???? Maybe . But I’ll never stop believing that one day we will rise to the top of the tree AGAIN. Otherwise what is the fucking point of being a football supporter ?

6. Hitchens 60 August 26, 2016 at 12:45 am . Reply

Love Dr. T’s tweets but is it starting to look like he was premature with the ‘world class striker’ one?

1. giddyvillan August 26, 2016 at 7:18 am . Reply

Hitch I’m with you there I do feel that tweet was a bit OTT but I do love how he keeps us fans informed, what a welcome change. UTV

7. nath August 26, 2016 at 7:00 am . Reply

changing a whole team is tough, whole squad much harder but it can be done. depend on the management and the types of players in the group. but it could all gel straight away. results sofar av been less than the performance warranted. if we can start to score goals. this would be like lighting the torch paper. we have now the quality along with the right attitudes to burn this league up this season.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 26, 2016 at 7:42 am . Reply

Going to be tough tomorrow at Bristol. Gestede and tshibola both out so could be another 0.0 at best

1. giddyvillan August 26, 2016 at 8:30 am . Reply

Jedinaks in villa win.

8. pat57 August 26, 2016 at 8:01 am . Reply

AEK and Olympiakos are apparently after Λεσκοτ as they call him. Well they’re welcome to Lescott, if ti was within my power I’d send him over with the Elgin Marbles in his suitcase if it would ease his passage away from VP.

Agree tomorrow is going to be tough but I feel we’ve still got more than enough to win.

Bristol 0 -2 Villa

1. bws August 26, 2016 at 12:44 pm . Reply

‘Elgin marbles’ – the best song The Jam ever wrote!

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 26, 2016 at 1:07 pm . Reply

Think a draw tomorrow can’t see us scoring we couldn’t create a thing v Derby

1. giddyvillan August 26, 2016 at 1:44 pm . Reply

Ooha you said we’d be battered by Derby lol

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 26, 2016 at 4:29 pm . Reply

True but we were never going to score in a million years

2. bws August 26, 2016 at 2:57 pm . Reply

Stiff test tomorrow and although it pains me I can see then turning us over –
        1-0.

1. giddyvillan August 26, 2016 at 3:36 pm . Reply

0-3 VILLA 😀

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 26, 2016 at 4:30 pm .

Behave Giddy where are 3 goals going to come from exactly. We’ve only scored 4 all season and 3 of them were against the worst team in the division

2. giddyvillan August 26, 2016 at 5:55 pm .

Have faith mate even if it’s blind Utv

3. OriginalLondonLion August 26, 2016 at 7:39 pm . Reply

Pat57 I am impressed that you can type Greek script into this site, I struggle to paste an umlout.

1. pat57 August 26, 2016 at 11:36 pm . Reply

Copied via Google translate. Its all Greek to me otherwise!

9. South coast villan August 26, 2016 at 12:57 pm . Reply

Think will nick it tomorrow 0-1! Still need a striker & attacking mid but hopefully that will be sorted by Wednesday. Utv

10. badger123 August 26, 2016 at 2:16 pm . Reply

I see Bennett has left for Cardiff and we aren’t contributing to his wages.
    Good work, Dr X!

It’s also interesting to see that Xia made a Maoist reference to the “masses”, that seems to indicate that he’s listening to the fans who said they didn’t fancy Enner Valencia.
    While of course I don’t believe for one minute that the hierarchy would let the fans decide transfer incomings, it is nice to see that he apparently listens and doesn’t ride rough-shod over our opinions.
    Simply put, I think there’s no chance that we’re even in for Valencia.

1. OriginalLondonLion August 26, 2016 at 8:07 pm . Reply

If the scouting reports are from Paddy Riley, DR X is saying what Sherwood said.