Bristol City – Villa: A preview of sorts and thoughts on things going on

Bristol City away should be a banker and straightaway I think it will be; I’ll say that from the start.

That perhaps seems high-handed on my part, but sorry, Bristol fans, I expect to beat your team, it’s as simple as that. You loaned Nathan Baker, who wasn’t deemed good enough for us at the time, after all?
Except many Villa fans thought he was better than that.

I’ve read that Bristol want to buy/loan him, while many Villa fans don’t even rate him.
So what does that tell us?

Well, to me it demonstrates a gulf in expectations.

While I have the utmost regard for Bristol City, I think this is the sort of game we will have to win if we’re going to show any sign that we’re going to be promoted at the first attempt.

It’s difficult to explain what I mean, but if we really rate the Villa as a class apart from the rest of the Championship along with Newcastle, we have to win this game; it’s as simple as that.

Sadly, I don’t think we’re a class apart at all, although it might come in time.

Which is why I’m hoping that we’ll have enough about us to scrape a 1-0 win.
And that’s my prediction.

nath August 27, 2016 at 11:02 pm .

then how long is RDM given and can he turn it around. i agree totally with the damage has been done under lerner. its a massive job, we have recruited well with new players. we need a hypnotist or sumat not a manager

bws August 27, 2016 at 11:06 pm .

You’ve gotta give him the season imo.

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 28, 2016 at 2:55 am .

Be too late by then.

bencey83 August 27, 2016 at 11:10 pm .

Most of our starting lineup weren’t there last season, so I don’t think we can use the excuse of a “losing mentality” anymore.

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 28, 2016 at 3:02 am .

What’s worrying is we all knew deep down (except for Badger bless him 😄) that 1.0 was never going to be enough. What’s even more worrying is I posted on here just after half time to Badger that we will sit back make an error and they will equalise! That’s exactly what happened. However even more worrying was the way we collapsed after we conceded that goal and even I didn’t see that coming I thought we’d hold on for a draw. It’s worrying because we now how have alleged leaders in the team like Elphnick Chester Jedinek etc where were they? Surely after conceding they were experience enough to clear their heads for 10 mins then go again but they all fell apart too. Also we made the wrong full bk choice we should of bought Yedlin I’m sick of us buying error prone attacking fullbacks RDM has learned nothing

Dave.C August 27, 2016 at 11:47 pm .

Quique Sanchez Flores was available when Watford sacked him. He’s a much better manager than RDM in my book.

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 28, 2016 at 3:03 am .

Agreed

OriginalLondonLion August 27, 2016 at 11:55 pm .

You build teams from the back. I must have written that 5 times in these blogs. If the Keeper plays like that the foundations are cracked and you can build nothing. Number one priority, more important than spending on a striker. Case in point today you would need to buy a guy who scores a hat-trick to win this game 4-3. Have a look at the early Prem table: who is at the bottom? The teams with the worst keepers. Why is Joe Hart on the City scrapheap? Because at the level of Prem winners and CL winners he is the weak link.

At our level we don’t need a Guzan with hair.

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 28, 2016 at 3:05 am .

Agreed we need to take Gollini out the firing line for his own good and ours then gradually bring him through over the next couple of seasons. We need an established keeper Bunn and steerman r crap also

Bencey83 August 28, 2016 at 10:42 pm .

Can’t understand why we bought a kid!

OohAhPaulMcGrath August 29, 2016 at 8:32 am .

Nor me. A new keeper is a priority now imo

Bencey83 August 28, 2016 at 10:43 pm .

At one point we had 5 keepers and they were all crap!