West Bromwich Albion 2 – 2 Villa ; I’ll take that.

I have to be happy with the final result, as in my opinion, it was about as much as we deserved.

Albion taught us a lesson in naviety in the first half.
While the first goal from Shane long was sublime, in the way he took the ball down to score, the second was ridiculous in the half-hearted way the ball was passed back from (I think) Bacuna.
Ok, we all make mistakes and that’s fair enough.

But just a few minutes later, Albion had a free kick on our left side.
The kicker was about 20-25 yards out, but Albion had a player free in our left back position, with no-one covering him and the ball was duly passed to him.
It came to nothing, but you really have to wonder what’s going on.
This is not basic for young 20 odd year old lads. It’s basic for 7 year old lads.

Suffice to say, I wasn’t happy with the way things were going.

Albion were better in every way.
They out-worked us, they hunted us down and looked like they had some idea of what they wanted to do.
The first part of that is what hurts the most, for me.
We’ve a team of young kids and our biggest strength ought to be our workrate. Today, it wasn’t.

Getting the negatives out of the way, if you don’t get the ball to Benteke, we look so much like a one man team, it’s crazy.
That said, I know many of you disagree.

We created nothing in the first half, apart from some speculative efforts from Tonev, who I agree with BWS, has the makings on the left, if he get’s a bit of luck.
He’ll bang one of them in soon.

Anyway, even Lambert could see it just wasn’t working and even though I always view 3 subs at the same time as a sign of desperation, this time it worked.

We looked totally revitalised and the added energy was obvious.

And so it was El Hamadi scooped one in and Westwood scored a very nice first goal.

You have to be happy at the result, but I just get this yearning to say that we played well.
It eluded me again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Naughtius Maximus November 26, 2013 at 12:01 pm . Reply

west brom started the game well up for it and it took the villa team by surprise, we were lucky not to be out of it by the end of the 1st half, we looked a bit shell shocked at the back aside from vlarr who held it together.
    people shouldn’t underestimate what it took for us to get back into that game against a west brom side who haven’t lost at home since the 1st of sept and have lost only 1 game in their last 9 and away in a very, very intense atmosphere.
    for me tonev and kozac looked decent enough, the changes had to happen it was a no brainer really but could have easily gone 4-0 so it was brave, McLeish would’ve held on for
    2-0 and to be honest so would MON.
    bentekke is concerning, his attitude more than anything, he seemed to spent the whole game walking about while kozac and tonev were at least working and trying to get involved. tkkers has been this way since he come back from injury which im hoping is just coz he’s not 100% fit but a part of me suspects that maybe he’s been tapped up for the jan transfer window and is trying not to get injured, last night he made bent look like a work horse and has done since his return.
    kozac on the other hand is working hard.
    oh and by the way, some villans need to stop shouting ‘lambert out!’ everytime a team scores against us! you sound like man united fans, ‘oh no the opposition have scored, we’re shit, our managers shit, every body out! boo hoo!’
    its football!!!!!

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath November 26, 2013 at 12:51 pm . Reply

Not sure about benteke comments as he needs to play well to get a move and be in World Cup squad so not in his interests not to try. I think he has been sussed and defenders know how to play against him now where last year they didn’t

1. Naughtius Maximus November 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm . Reply

yeah possibly ooah, its just a nasty suspicion that’s been growing the last few games for me only because of his work rate, watching him lately he looks, well like I said he’s making Darren bent look like a work horse. I understand he’s not getting the breaks or the service for the most part and partnership with kozac seems a bit miss matched but I do see kozac trying, running, hassling and getting involved where as everytime I see tekkers lately he’s looking half hearted.
        no doubt lukaku has been sussed too but its not stopping him at the moment.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath November 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm . Reply

Fair point maybe if right. Lukaka tbf does get better service at Everton and plays in a much better and confident team than us and is arguably a better player than cb.

2. Naughtius Maximus November 26, 2013 at 12:51 pm . Reply

yeah vaze villans coming through loud n clear on the tv last night 🙂

3. Benno November 26, 2013 at 4:43 pm . Reply

Dont get me wrong, Lambert got the team wrong, but making a triple substitution after 60 mins is a gamble and it paid off. Still, even with those players on we had no cohesion, we just piled the pressure on west brom.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath November 26, 2013 at 6:03 pm . Reply

How was it a gamble when we were 2.0 down with half an hour left and getting hammered and the players he took of were doing fuck all anyway. The subs were a no brainer and any poster on here with half a brain would of called at least 2 of those subs. Personally I would have done it after half hour.

4. Langfordvilla November 26, 2013 at 5:41 pm . Reply

Well Benno….I am happy to pile the pressure on any team?

5. Naughtius Maximus November 26, 2013 at 6:11 pm . Reply

the starting line up was due to necessity, gabby, wiemann and delph were only back in training on Friday so 90 mins would be a bit of an ask and going with the team that won the other week made sense we just got caught cold and west brom came out the blocks closing and harring faster and with determination and we gifted them the 2nd. just one of those things.
    all thngs considered I think we played well last night come the 2nd half and under the conditions, 2 nil down in a very intense atmosphere at hawthorns.

6. Benno November 26, 2013 at 8:15 pm . Reply

It is a gamble because we get an injury and we are down to ten and the game is over.

Langford, what i mean by piling on the pressure was that we hoofed balls up to the front 3, 2 of them with fresh legs who just chased everything. Most of the time that wont work. We need to figure out a formation that suits the players that we have as right now we are all over the place.

7. Langfordvilla November 27, 2013 at 2:53 pm . Reply

Benno… I agree mate. I hate too much long ball shit. Its boring and ugly to watch. Prefer to play through the midfield or the flanks, but fear that we aint got too many who can play that way…how I wished we had got Barry on loan!