Lambert’s gone, so what’s next?

Quite frankly, my head’s in a spin, as I was really convinced that the club would not sack Paul Lambert under any circumstances during this season.

But now that Lambert has been sacked, I want to be amongst the first to offer him my commiseration.
Not for anything he’s done for the club, you understand, but more for the way he must have suffered in the last few months.

My opinion says he must have gone through a world of hurt with the criticism that has come his way for a long time. No manager wants to keep reading about how poor his team, tactics and results are, but I think the pressure piled on him this season has been somewhat unprecedented: even worse than the vitriol Big Feck faced, I’d suggest.
It’s been mentioned by more than one commenter on here that Lambert has looked ill recently and it’s a point I’d agree with.
I really wouldn’t wish that on anyone.
Hopefully, he’ll take some time out and get himself sorted, before he starts at another club.

And that’s where my sympathy ends.

The brutal truth is that he’s been handsomely rewarded for doing an awful job.
I’m sure I don’t need to mention all the bad records that have been broken, but where else can you get paid so well for doing so poorly?
It’s just shocking really, but anyway, Lambert’s reign is over, so I’m going to leave it there.

So, where do we go from here?

This is the interesting or more likely, worrying part.

The big question is have the club planned for this eventuality?

Why do I have this nagging worry that it’s only down to a concerted effort from the fans yesterday, combined with the Evening Mail actually having the balls to call it as it is and the stupidly monster new $ky deal, that made the club change it’s mind?

Whatever, I was talking to an Albion fan who was insisting that we won’t go down.
A Stokey friend of mine also had a similar view, in that there are three teams worse than us.
My reply to both was “Who? We’d be better with no manager at all and surely even I couldn’t be worse!”.

So what’s my point?

Well, even if the club haven’t got anyone lined up (and it really wouldn’t surprise me if we haven’t), things could hardly be any worse.

Given the improved performances from other teams who have got rid of their manager recently, I’m now interested to see if any of our player’s performances immediately improve.

Regardless, Lambert’s removal can only be good and we should be happy, even if it’s too late.

1. Andrew
    Andrew February 12, 2015 at 8:08 pm .

Frank De Boer? He’s said he wants to manage in the Prem when Tottenham were linked. Or someone like Remi Garde wouldn’t be bad either.

1. BWS
      BWS February 12, 2015 at 8:14 pm .

Good call that. I suggested him pre- Lambert but it was poo- pooed because of his lack of experience but with a win rate of 58.82% and 204 game under is belt that couldn’t be said of him now.
      Would he come though? Are Ajax still in the CL? I can’t see him upping sticks and coming to sunny Brum if they are.

1. Hitchens 60
        Hitchens 60 February 12, 2015 at 8:23 pm .

Frank ‘the bore’ LOL only kidding

2. Andrew
        Andrew February 12, 2015 at 8:24 pm .

No idea, but well worth a shout. Not sure if he’d give up on Ajax now, probably not. And no, they got blown out of the water by PSG and Barcelona, which isn’t surprising.

Read a name on facebook someone claiming will be announced on Sunday (I figured it’d be after the Leicester game), but the name being Claudio Ranieri. Not one I thought of but a solid manager, well experienced. Not the top of the food chain but one that could well lead us safe.

1. BWS
          BWS February 12, 2015 at 8:34 pm .

The Tinkerman? Ye Gods no, this has to be a wind up! He’s just been sacked by Greece after playing 4, drawing 1 and losing 3 so you could say he’s hardly at the peak of his powers.

1. Andrew
            Andrew February 12, 2015 at 8:48 pm .

Haha, forgot he lost to the Faroe Islands. Still I think he’s a good enough club coach.

3. Andrew
        Andrew February 12, 2015 at 8:25 pm .

and yeah, I suggested a lot of managers pre-Lambert. Tuchel, Yakin, Garde and one who I still really wanna see is Sagnol.

1. marvin
          marvin February 12, 2015 at 8:49 pm .

Garde would be something.

1. Andrew
            Andrew February 12, 2015 at 8:55 pm .

Was solid at Lyon, left for personal reasons and family and wanted a break. Wonder how long he plans to be out for.

2. Vvv88
    Vvv88 February 12, 2015 at 8:19 pm .

We should get Prandelli, did great things at Fiorentina and came out as a Villa fan to Farina last year. Also he knows English.

1. Vvv88
      Vvv88 February 12, 2015 at 8:23 pm .

hes unattached since being at Galatasary too.

1. BWS
        BWS February 12, 2015 at 8:41 pm .

Another good call, just looked at his Wiki page, his record is pretty amazing.

1. Andrew
          Andrew February 12, 2015 at 8:51 pm .

43.6% win rate according to transfrmarket… Not all that good compared to a few others mentioned. Although a lot of that is down to managing Lecce and Atalanta in the late 90’s, he’s also a good choice.

Aren’t we meant to be looking for a DOF as well?

3. New Regime
    New Regime February 12, 2015 at 9:02 pm .

Some really good shouts here. Prandelli is one I completely forgot about and would be fantastic!

I come on here to look a lot and don’t post much, it’s refreshing to see everyone at least agreeing on something for once, experience is whats needed, high calibre and tactical nous above all and if Fox wants to make his mark and vision clear he surely has to go that route. A young unexperenced maanger who is ‘highly rated’ is not what is needed here.

I feel like a proper Villa fan again after years of dross. Maybe we can all pick ourselves up and go again….to villa park

1. Vvv88
      Vvv88 February 12, 2015 at 9:30 pm .

Yeah Prandelli would be great, can’t really see it happening though. Maybe we should give Fox an email!