Villa 0 – 2 Liverpool; A fair result, but some plus points.

Well, I don’t know how the protest went as I unwillingly took part in it myself, because I missed the first ten minutes of the game due to me being collared to look at something on the way out of work.
From what I gather though, it was pretty ineffective, just as I thought it would be.
I’ll leave you to enlighten me on that, but I just hope it wasn’t so bad that it made us fans on the whole, look daft.

As for the important stuff, what to say?
Things looked like I pretty much expected they’d go before the game, in the first half.
Liverpool looked the total opposite of us, in that when they break forward, their attackers are all over the place and offer plenty of options, whereas we just don’t.

That said, I thought we sat back far too much and allowed them to come at us, which didn’t allow us to put any pressure on them. For me, that was a mistake, as Liverpool do look susceptible at the back.
Which co-incidentally, is something I noticed about us today.
I’m no defensive tactician. Indeed I don’t profess to know much about tactics at all, but I just hate the way we were lining up in defence in the first half. Watch the goal and there were three defenders all chasing the same player.
Surely that can’t be right?
We just looked totally out of shape at the back.

The long and short description of the first half is that we could easily have been 3 down, but only went in losing by a solitary Liverpool goal.

The second half started brighter, but not massively different from memory.
And then came the interesting part, where on the hour, Lambert took the utterly ineffective Cleverley and Westwood off to be replaced by Andi Weimann and our new signing, Carles Gil.
I see some complained that Delph stayed on, but for me it was a case of perm any two from three.

Gil’s introduction straight away massively raised the fan’s spirits and the difference was amazing, as the atmosphere and our play instantly improved, with Gil playing a great, actually threatening, “give and go” that stood out and immediately caught my eye. What a pleasant change that made.

It just goes to show, that if you give the fans something to hope for, they will strongly support the club and indeed get behind the players.
The worrying thing for me though, is that this was proof that the players are feeling the malaise that runs through the club just as strongly as we do. Even they’re hoping that Carles Gil can improve us.
And at first glance, it looks like he at least might.

The important part is that we truly put Liverpool under the cosh for a 15-20 minute period and probably could have had a couple of goals, if Benteke was in better form and we had a bit more luck.

Ricky Lambert ruined things though in getting a well taken second which took the wind out of our sails.

Yes, it’s a bad result, but not one that was unexpected really.

There are strong positives, in that Gil, (if it wasn’t a total fluke and I know it’s too early to really judge) looks a very good player who will give us options and put the likes of Cleverley and Richardson (who are far too average) under serious pressure.
And there was proof that if we can get at least another more attacking, wide player in, to give us and the players something to be encouraged about, we might still have something to cheer about this season.

I know we lost, but this was a more entertaining game today.

Man of the match?
Sanchez again, as I thought he broke up play brilliantly, even though he constantly sailed close to the wind with some of his tackles. He linked up very well with Hutton, who again was solid and often our most threatening player.
Hutton’s unlucky not to get the call, but there you go.
I’d even put Gil in with a shout, just for the impact he made.

I shouldn’t be happy and indeed I’m not, because we lost at home.
But after seeing Gil, I’m at least encouraged.

1. BWS January 20, 2015 at 10:15 am . Reply

Just watched the highlights on MOTD and although they never give a good reflection of a match, we looked (imo) a little hard done not get something from the game.
    Baker missed two absolute sitters and maybe Cleverly should have made more of his chance but what the f**k was Delph doing when he gave the ball away for their second?
    Gil looked the business so it’s not all doom and gloom, bring on Bournemouth.

1. GarethVilla January 20, 2015 at 12:33 pm . Reply

It is all doom and gloom because we lost and Bournemouth will beat us.

1. BWS January 20, 2015 at 12:56 pm . Reply

Bournemouth have scored 32 away from home so they aint no mugs and If he (as his is habit in cup competitions) fields a weakened side, that stands every chance.

1. GarethVilla January 20, 2015 at 2:45 pm . Reply

Whichever side he puts out, it will be weakened!!!

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2015 at 3:59 pm .
          2. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2015 at 4:14 pm .

should be a good game then we put out a weakened team every game!!

3. BWS January 20, 2015 at 4:37 pm .

Paul Allen Net worth $15.7 billion, that’ll do nicely thank you.
            Just reading on Forbes he’s got a thing for history and that’s on thing AVFC aint short off.

4. Andrew January 20, 2015 at 4:51 pm .

BWS, his networth means nothing in FFP terms. Unless Fox finds a way to make Villa a ton of money.

2. New Regime January 20, 2015 at 2:39 pm . Reply

Swansea look to be getting Naughton in from Spurs for 5mil. Would of been a good one for us, another missed.

Lambert out, Lerner out!

1. Andrew January 20, 2015 at 4:45 pm . Reply

Not in a position to spend 5m on a backup fullback. Lowton’s just as good as Naughton is as well and doesn’t seem like moving so no need.

3. Brick January 20, 2015 at 4:08 pm . Reply

Ha ha ha ha ha ha hs. Oohah’ answer to all of Villa’s problems…throw money at it yet he can’t be bothered to go and spend his own by actually attending a game.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2015 at 4:12 pm . Reply

It’s the only way that we will ever get near to competing again. Sad but true im afraid

1. Guest January 20, 2015 at 4:24 pm . Reply

Thought you hated American owners?

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2015 at 4:35 pm . Reply

not when they are worth $17 billion I dont lol

1. Andrew January 20, 2015 at 4:47 pm .

And what honestly makes you think it’ll be any different to someone worth 2-3 billion? News-flash… It won’t. FFP doesn’t change because we’re rich, and a businessman isn’t going to accept GIGANTIC fees of 30-40m just to spend a ton of money on us.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2015 at 5:32 pm .

Dosnt matter ffp will not last much longer citys lawyers are running rings over fa. They still signed bony and Lampard. All you get is a fine for £40 m which will be challenged for years and by the time you have to pay it we will be in CL so won’t matter anyway.

3. BWS January 20, 2015 at 4:53 pm .

Jesus you posted that the other day and then I posted then you can loose £105 million over 3 years!
            That’s enough to make you at least competitive and get us out of this football purgatory.

4. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2015 at 5:34 pm .

Get a decent manager like koeman or Benitez and for £50m they could get us a team finishing in top 8. After a couple of years we can then challenge for top 4 as we will be more attractive to sponsers etc

5. Ardent Villain January 20, 2015 at 4:57 pm .

Ignoring the Allen rumour itself for a moment: Must admit that I’ve never studied the fine-print of FFP rules, but from a normal corporate/accounting POV, I’d have thought that an owner putting capital into a business via a share issue wouldn’t actually contravene any rules?
            Of course when the FFP auditors look at costs vs revenues [later] the share issue only works to keep the balance sheet strong, and FFP then bites; but as an initial way of funding major one-off club ‘improvements’ – on and off the field – I’m guessing that a rich owner can still do that.

Anyone out there actually know the FFP rules?

6. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2015 at 5:34 pm .

Interesting point ardent

7. Ardent Villain January 20, 2015 at 5:11 pm .

Thanks for the link BWS.

8. Andrew January 20, 2015 at 5:18 pm .

We’ve made losses of 51.8m and 42.6m so unless when the finances come out we’re now all of a sudden self-efficient. We’re still making enough losses it means nothing.

9. BWS January 20, 2015 at 5:18 pm .

No problem mate. The video explains it and to my understanding you can make a $45 million loss as long as the owner puts in/up the equity (as you say- share issue) if the owner isn’t willing to put in the equity then this figure drops to $4 million (sound familiar?)
            Three exclusions
            (1) Players signed before 2010 (even if they extend their contract)
            (2) Stadium development
            (3) Youth devlopment

10. Andrew January 20, 2015 at 5:18 pm .

Over the last 2 years*…

11. BWS January 20, 2015 at 5:23 pm .

Andrew they wouldn’t count as most of that loss was due to wages on players signed pre 2010 so they don’t count anyway.

12. Andrew January 20, 2015 at 5:26 pm .

Apparently I’m not up to date on my FFP rules either then. But then again we go into will a businessman who works for Microsoft really, really want to spend all that money and make a loss?

13. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2015 at 5:38 pm .

I always wondered why we voted against ffp. Now I get it. It’s because if lerner sells it limits his options if new owner is restricted in his spending

14. BWS January 20, 2015 at 5:31 pm .

Every billionaire needs a hobby 🙂

15. Andrew January 20, 2015 at 5:37 pm .

Between his 3 American Sports teams, his huge contribution to Ebola, University of Washington, Microsoft, Aerospace, Real Estate, and the 100’s of other things Vulcan Inc does including producing videos/movies and the fact he’s now producing music because what else does he have to do… What’s another hobby.

16. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2015 at 6:17 pm .

Rubbish comment Andrew how many hobbies does Abrovich and city owners have. It’s a different challenge and spreading his wealth people with that amount of money have to keep moving money around.

17. BWS January 20, 2015 at 5:37 pm .

And a higher profile, more cash generated, onward and upward. Gotta better than this race to the bottom we’ve been in for the past 4 seasons.

18. Ardent Villain January 20, 2015 at 5:38 pm .

Andrew – as when you put the original link to Allen on here last night, I won’t believe it unless it happens.

I saw a news article on the BBC sports pages earlier, quoting Freddie Sheppard [ – he of ‘Newcastle whores’ infamy – ] as saying that no potential foreign owner wants to look at Newcastle because it’s not in London or Manchester. Too sadly true IMO.

19. Andrew January 20, 2015 at 5:44 pm .

Difference is is we have a foreign owner, who while people hate, has connections around America and my guess well further out than that. I’d say a bigger problem for Newcastle is Mike Ashley rather than where they are.

20. Andrew January 20, 2015 at 5:50 pm .

” Aston Villa are searching for a director of football operations as they continue to revamp the support networks around boss Paul Lambert.

Chief executive Tom Fox has created the role as part of his on-going plan to improve the major departments that surround the manager at Villa Park.

The club are also closing in on the appointments of a chief commercial officer and a new head of media while a massive overhaul of the academy and the scouting system is already underway.

Ideally Villa are aiming to fill the position by the summer to ensure the new man is settled in for the start of next season.”

Now tell me that no new foreign owner would be happy to have someone like Tom Fox running their club when they can basically sit back and enjoy themselves?

Between Yoann Copreaux being the head of business strategy to bringing in a Chief Commercial officer which the Birmingham Mail believes could be in within a few months. A director of football reportedly by the summer. And an overhaul of what is a dying academy along with a new scouting system.

“Unlike at other clubs the director of football role will not be heavily centred around identifying and purchasing players.

Villa feel that with new director of recruitment Paddy Reilly already doing a decent job at Bodymoor Heath there is little need to add another commanding head to that section.

Instead, Fox is thought to want someone who can look critically at areas such as sports medicine, data analysis and athletic performance to ensure the claret and blues are reaching their maximum potential.”

Only big problem is they claim that a search for an assistant manager isn’t a big concern. When it should be at the top of the list.

21. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2015 at 6:15 pm .

Maybe an assistant manager is on hold as if takeover happens we should get new management team

22. Andrew January 20, 2015 at 6:17 pm .

there is that but I wouldn’t expect a takeover till summer. He needs help now.

4. GIDDYVILLAN January 20, 2015 at 5:02 pm . Reply

I’ll believe it when it happens,he seems a bit of a philanthropist well hopefully he thinks we’re a worthwhile cause.

1. Bill Pearson January 20, 2015 at 5:09 pm . Reply

With you on that Giddy, but I bet Oohah might buy a ticket and a shirt if true.

1. GIDDYVILLAN January 20, 2015 at 5:13 pm . Reply

Again mate I’ll believe when it happens. 😀

1. GIDDYVILLAN January 20, 2015 at 5:18 pm . Reply

Ps I bet his shirt with Davenports written on it is a bit worse for ware now so an upgrade wouldn’t go a miss.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2015 at 5:36 pm . Reply

I’d buy a paul Lambert photo and and have a wankfest over it if happens lol

1. Andrew January 20, 2015 at 5:57 pm . Reply

I don’t think I’ve ever been more disturbed on this forum than right now.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2015 at 6:15 pm .

2. Andrew January 20, 2015 at 6:18 pm .

You’re talking about having a wankfest over Lambert… Why the hell would I not be?

2. BWS January 20, 2015 at 5:34 pm . Reply

As he got ragged trousered? (makes a change from Rag Arse Rovers).