Next manager; some laughable suggestions and my total guess.

This one is mostly for fun, as guessing the next manager is nearly always wrong, but there is some logic in my final answer, so bear with me.

Let’s look at some of those suggested;

Moyes? Ha, no chance. Why on earth would he leave Sociedad when he’s doing not brilliant, but ok?
I can’t say I’ve kept an eye on things there, but am guessing he’s in the middle of a plan, where there’s no way he’d take on a poisoned chalice like the Villa, in my opinion.

Benitez? Interesting, but he’d want a boat load of money, which he has been prone to waste. Even if Fox suggested him, I’d guess Lerner would put the block on him.
Wasn’t he supposedly the manager who laughed at Lerner when he heard what the spending budget was last time? Whatever, no chance again.

Martin O’Neil? After he won an out of court unfair dismissal settlement against Lerner? Just laughable.
Alex McLeish? Stop, my sides are aching!

Back to more reasonable suggestions and we have the likes of Jurgen Klinsmann.
He’s another interesting shout, but again, why would he come?

Southgate? I don’t rate him at all, so I definitely hope not, although I’m sure Lerner would at least entertain an ex player. No, perish the thought.

Laudrup? Young and up and coming, but what has he done in any decent league? Nothing, I’d suggest.

Allardyce? Hmm, Smethwick born and I have a sneaky feeling he might even be a Villa fan at heart, but again, why would he want to move from West Ham to Villa?
That said, he hasn’t got a new contract yet has he???
Decent manager, but his footy is generally poor, hence he wouldn’t be my choice.

Hoddle? Excellent coach, but tainted, so I don’t see it.

I’ve no doubt missed some other choices, but quite frankly it’s a lottery trying to guess.
Lerner will want cheap and we have even less idea what Fox thinks.

The question is what does the club need at the moment?

While a top manager, who can make us win most of our remaining games and keep us midtable next season, while having some masterplan to build us into a European powerhouse is always the aim, the reality is we need someone who can get us out of the dire straights we are in now.
Someone who can have an immediate effect via a boot up the proverbial on a side, even if it’s only short term.

I know it’s not going to be a popular choice, but mine is to pay Tim Sherwood a right good wedge of money purely to keep us up this season. A short term contract, that he can’t refuse, in other words.

I know it seems he has far too many demands, but desperate times need desperate measures.
And for me, there’s no doubt he can fire players up to perform, which is what we need right now.

We can call for any manager you like and indeed they might prove better over the longer term, but our immediate priority is simply to survive this season. Hence I’m suggesting he’s the man.

Unless you can think of someone else who could hit the ground running, faster?

1. Dave67 February 14, 2015 at 3:26 pm . Reply

Welcome to Aston Villa F C Tim. Come on the Villa.

2. cb February 14, 2015 at 3:37 pm . Reply

I really don’t get it we are in such a mess and go for such an inexperienced manager i cant think of anything that makes him a good choice. But i suppose we must support him although it does seem somewhat hypocritical as mcleish had a good cv and we didn’t support him at all.

3. Bill Pearson February 14, 2015 at 3:38 pm . Reply

Oohah I can now understand why Badger gets ratty with you, you don’t give up do you? Give it a chance ffs get behind the club for once, and stop living in the past, I’ve got 4 seats that I’ve hardly used this year if anyone needs to go ape shit its me, then again you don’t go do you.

1. villa1996 February 14, 2015 at 3:46 pm . Reply

Some off the fans on here make me laugh and have short memory’s remember when we had the french man he had experience and won trophies and you all stated him so there’s no winning in Most fans eyes if we stated scoring goals and wininng watch you lot change your tune fickle

4. marvin February 14, 2015 at 3:46 pm . Reply

I will support the team, but this is an awful appointment. I can’t even imagine what the players are thinking. It is just short sided and careless. Sure, Sherwood will get the needed response out of the players this season but his sort of ego will poison the well and ruin us from the inside going forward. I seriously hope Fox is on the verge of signing a DOF to control the damage.

5. Andrew February 14, 2015 at 3:47 pm . Reply

This article is from last year but it’s quite interesting and seems we’re in for a huge change in our midfield.

6. pat57 February 14, 2015 at 4:05 pm . Reply

I think who gets appointed Assistant Manager or DOF or whatever could be crucial too.

With regard to what Tim did or didn’t do at Spurs we can only hope he’s learnt something since then. He’s certainly had enough time to think about it.

So please ffs let’s not get negative until we have something definite to be negative about. Let’s give Tim and the lads all our support and hope for some exciting times.

Staying up and a good cup run would do me 🙂

1. GarethVilla February 14, 2015 at 4:23 pm . Reply

Tim Sherwood had a 59% win rate which is the best of any Spurs manager in the Premier League.
      Paul Lambert 29%, so for those who are still saying we would be better off keeping Lambert then please take note.
      I think he will be like a breath of fresh air – calling games how he and more importanly us see games. If he thinks we were crap he’ll say so and we will be able to understand him when he speaks.
      As many will know on here, I have spent the last 2 and a bit years calling Lambert so I say give the guy a chance, thats all we can do.
      We MUST stay up.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath February 14, 2015 at 4:35 pm . Reply

That was with a better team due to new manager syndrome. He wasn’t getting results towards the end hence why he was sacked and qpr preferred his assistant

1. GarethVilla February 14, 2015 at 4:47 pm . Reply

Thats rubbish OohAh.
          We have been in total agreement during Lambert’s time but I have to disagree with you on this one.
          I suppose its never crossed your mind that after talks with QPR Sherwood decided not to pursue it any further. By all accounts, he is a manager that plans long-term and with QPR having that fair play thing hanging over their heads how could he.
          As for his sacking as Spurs, well the stats don’t lie.
          He wouldn’t have taken the Villa job without any assurances.
          Keep us up and then look at weaknesses and the weaknesses of the squad.

2. Andrew February 14, 2015 at 5:16 pm . Reply

“Wasn’t getting results towards the end”

How far are we going back?

3 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss in his last 5? 4 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss in his last 6? 5 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses in his last 8? Right, he wasn’t getting results, another false statement. You really need to look up facts before commenting. He lost to West Ham, Liverpool (although Pool’s been crushing Spurs for a while), Arsenal, Chelsea, Norwich and City. 6 games in the Premier League he lost. 6. He won 13. Just as many at the start as at the end. And 3 draws. 13 wins in 22. If he has any kind of affect like that at Villa, we’ll be safe with ease.

1. Bum Bum February 14, 2015 at 6:14 pm .

Well said that man. Very succinct.

7. fastjet81 February 14, 2015 at 4:46 pm . Reply

Sensible appointment and we’ve acted quickly which is a breath of fresh air. Seems to have been one of the favourites courted from the start, so it looks from the outside we’ve got our man.

Got to be beneficial for the younger players in the team/on the fringes. Turned around the Villas-Boas Spurs team in a short space of time so in my eyes he fits the criteria.

I like his honesty in interviews and if you call a spade a spade you’ll get more respect. As fans we’ve been mislead on many occasions so hopefully he’ll bring some much needed transparency to Villa Park.

Hopefully we’ll see some more attractive football and the goals to keep us up.

Welcome and good luck Tim. UTV.

8. saddened February 14, 2015 at 5:01 pm . Reply

Bloody hell, a quick, decisive decision from a CEO that has earned millions from knowing football inside out…..no stupid dilly dallying in Randys jet…. I mover the moon, good luck Mr Sherwood

9. richard1018 February 14, 2015 at 5:09 pm . Reply

I’m happy with the appointment of Sherwood.

He is young, fresh and dynamic. He isn’t dour and depressive like Lamberk. And my god, thank f*** no more managers from Scotland or Ireland.

Appointing any manager, to me, is pot luck. Look at Van Gaal at United – he is hardly setting them alight even after spending £200m on players.

Lets give Sherwood a chance. I’m making an appearance at Villa Park tomorrow, first time since January 2014. Let’s get behind him, get behind the team.

If we can get through this season with our status in tact, then I think lerner WILL loosen the purse strings next season and we will see some investment in the playing staff. I don’t think Sherwood would have come unless he had certain assurances for budgets etc next season.

UTV!

10. KentNielsen77 February 14, 2015 at 5:27 pm . Reply

Good luck Tom Sherwood – we need you to be lucky.