WBA 1 – 0 Villa; thoughts

As soon as Kieran Richardson was sent off, for what for me, was a good decision by Mike Dean, I thought we were in trouble.
In real time, it looked a terrible tackle and although the slow motion replay showed it wasn’t quite as bad, you just can’t go in like that with your studs showing.
While I can see that some of you might debate that, I thought it was a potential ankle breaker.
So a good decision.
I want to give a bit of credit to the ref here, by the way, as I thought he called most things correctly and gave probably a man of the match performance.
So in short Richardson is out for our next game.
No major loss for me, as I really don’t rate him and it surely makes Delph’s return easier for Lambert.

So we were down to 10 men after 21 minutes and I just had the feeling that even though Albion were quite toothless, we wouldn’t be able to hold on.

I have to say our performance today seemed to revert back to our usual level of a lack of creativity, but I have to temper my thoughts with that fact that we were a man down.

That said, I still think we had too many invisible players.
N’zogbia was one. Surely his days at the Villa are numbered now, but I can’t see a way out for him, given his wages. The only way he’s going is if we swallow a big percentage of his wages.

What about Cleverley? I really don’t see it with him at all.
He needs to be replaced with someone better. Someone who gets involved more.

While I’m loathe to complain about Okore (who was probably my MOTM) or Clark, am I the only one who thought our defence overall was very poor at actually clearing the ball?

Hutton, who had a torrid time early on actually looked our most creative player at times.
That’s the crazy world of Villa at present, it seems.

Sanchez gives the ball away far too much, but I still like the looks of him and hopefully he’ll improve that side of things. He’s looking a very good buy for the £3.5 million he cost.

The actual goal itself, from Gardner of all people, was poor. Guzan should have done better, but it shouldn’t have mattered, as we had two defenders near enough on the line, which should have seen us safe.
Hmm……

Did we deserve to lose against a very average Albion side?
I don’t know really, but going 70 minutes with a man down, the odds are against you.
Then again, if we’d have kept eleven players on the pitch I reckon we’d have probably taken all the points.

While it’s disappointing to lose against Albion, who have actually become a bit of a banker game for us over the last good few years, you won’t find any hysterics from me today.

For once I agree with Lambert.
We go again.

Trouble is, it’s Man United next, isn’t it?

1. billys boots
    billys boots December 14, 2014 at 1:15 pm .

there seems to be a motivation problem with a majority of our players just lately captain wants away. our latest international thinks hes too good for us,any of the played midfield yesterday looked like they had never seen a ball before, sanchez i rate highly but im not sure the rest of the team do with there being no movement to receive a ball so he ends up being caught in possession. was that the worst game we have seen from benteke? i don’t think gabby,andi, n,zog should be near the first team squad, don’t know the answer,not sure lambert does either without spending squillions in jan

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 2:32 pm .

Brendan Rodgers anyone bound to get sacked tomorrow I actually rate him and at least tries to play decent football.

1. Simon James Mills
        Simon James Mills December 14, 2014 at 2:46 pm .

Love him over lambert

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
          OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 2:57 pm .

Me too if Sturridge was playing today would be a different story imo

2. GIDDYVILLAN
        GIDDYVILLAN December 14, 2014 at 2:51 pm .

I don’t think he’d do any worse,would he?????

3. Andrew
        Andrew December 14, 2014 at 4:20 pm .

Problem with him is he focuses no time on the defense. While our defenders are in much better form and possibly are better than Liverpool’s currently, they could get killed under Rodgers. Oh and Sanchez would be out of the team, seeing as Rodgers doesn’t play Pool’s only DM in Lucas and they look far better when Lucas plays.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
          OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 5:17 pm .

True but maybe he will have learnt his lesson at liverpool and play a DM. it’s only recently Lamberk has seen the light on that one. And like you say our defenders are arguably better than theirs.

1. Andrew
            Andrew December 14, 2014 at 10:58 pm .

Maybe but I have my doubts as he didn’t against United.

2. Andrew
            Andrew December 15, 2014 at 1:51 am .

Good points are he’d have no problem allowing Grealish and Robinson to show their talent. He has no problem giving Sterling his chance, Borini and a fair few youngsters around. And he’d have Benteke to work around.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
              OohAhPaulMcGrath December 15, 2014 at 2:18 am .

True. What worries me is liverpool are desperate for a striker and Benteke and Sturridge up front would be mouth watering for the bin dippers. Can see them making a bid tbh if not jan then summer.

3. Andrew
            Andrew December 15, 2014 at 3:24 am .

It’s possible but they don’t need someone like Benteke, while Lambert’s back injury has really killed his aerial game, they still have him. They need someone with a lot of technical ability, but also a vast work rate, much like Suarez had. A Cavani, Higuain type, both well out of their price range, but someone more like them. I can also see them choosing Bony over Benteke. I do think we’ll have Benteke for at least another year or so. Still has a bit to prove to be worth what Villa’s price tag is on him, which I’d say is at least 25m. Most teams like Pool can’t go out and pay that without them having a huge rate of return, especially as all the Suarez money has been spent and they’re dipping into their own funds, that surely has FFP looking at them.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
              OohAhPaulMcGrath December 15, 2014 at 6:07 pm .

True but if they sell Moreno to sunderland they might be ok fir ffp. Knowing us we would prob just part exhim for Lambert!!!

4. Andrew
            Andrew December 15, 2014 at 6:45 pm .

Moreno? Their Spanish LB? You mean Borini? It’s possible, but they’ll get nowhere near the 14m that was “offered” to them. Honestly have my doubts Benteke’s topping their list of strikers wanted right now. Especially as Bony’s available for around 25m. But I guess we won’t know until January. Just can’t see us selling Benteke in January. Unless we’re playing like 2 strikers in as I have my doubts Kozak will be back this season.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
              OohAhPaulMcGrath December 16, 2014 at 10:09 pm .

Borinho that’s the one. It’s only a matter of time before he goes and if he wasn’t injured he would of gone last summer imo. It all dens how he performs in jan for example a hatrick on sat v utd and he’ll be off in jan. I could see him and Sturridge up front for the bin dippers

5. Andrew
            Andrew December 17, 2014 at 3:53 am .

Can’t see it. Liverpool aren’t gonna cough up the money we want.

4. ifiruledtheworld
        ifiruledtheworld December 15, 2014 at 9:28 pm .

Even if they do sack Rodgers, you surely don’t expect Lerner to suddenly be ready to part ways with Lambert? Unless there’s some truth to the Cuban rumours which I doubt as I can’t imagine Tom Fox recently doing an interview and talking about the future with Lerner if there was something in the pipeline.

2. kerryvillan
    kerryvillan December 14, 2014 at 2:53 pm .

Sanchez stats for West Brom game,

65 passes 91% accuracy.

He was our best player by a mile, always looking for the ball and always trying to make a forward pass, the only player who moves after he passes and the only player who seems to know what space is! The reason he gives it away at all is because there is zero movement in this team, when they do move he will find them.

Cleverly is a load of shit Westwood is way better but both of them can’t pass forwards so can only have 1 in the team.

Richardson is a joke, he wasn’t good 5 years ago and he’s worse now, we have players like grealish and bacuna on the bench, grealish fair enough does not have the experience but how is he ever going to get it of he doesn’t start games? And bacuna scored what 7 or 8 goals from right back but can’t get in a midfelid destroyed by injury and has what 3 goals in 3 years? It’s beyond belief the decisions lambert makes.

1. Hitchens 60
      Hitchens 60 December 14, 2014 at 3:26 pm .

Agree; very surprised we haven’t seen more of Bacuna this year – would do well teaming up with Hutton on the right side of midfield – can only think he has to play Cleverly as part of the loan terms?

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
        OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 3:28 pm .

Bacuna should play right bk next week. Hutton is a huge loss for us next week

1. GIDDYVILLAN
          GIDDYVILLAN December 14, 2014 at 3:52 pm .

Why won’t Hutton be playing next week have I missed sumin??

1. GIDDYVILLAN
            GIDDYVILLAN December 14, 2014 at 4:03 pm .

Just read it brum mail yes we’ll certainly miss him,lambo will play lowton I bet & probably get torn apart.bacuna for sure imo.not looking forward to the outcome of this game one bit.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath
            OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 5:14 pm .

Suspended

3. Hitchens 60
    Hitchens 60 December 14, 2014 at 3:23 pm .

Didn’t see the game yesterday but Sanchez was my MOM against Leicester and, yes he does give the ball away at times, BUT at least he tries to be creative. I said after that game that I think we have bought one hell of a player for the money. On another point there is a lot of criticism of Westwood on here, pretty unfairly in my mind and we will miss him over Christmas. Manure – 6 straight wins and not lost at Villa (in any kind of game!) for 20 years; purely on the basis of they must eventually lose a game – what price a Villa win?

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 3:26 pm .

We did beat them 1.0 away under MON somehow. Utd are in a false position imo if you watched the last 4/5 games they’ve played de gea has saved them time after time. We should play 3 up front and go for it if we sit back we will lose anyway.

1. Andrew
        Andrew December 14, 2014 at 4:08 pm .

Probably get crushed sitting back. We won’t play 3 up front, it’ll be the usual formation. It’s alright as well, it’s not like Benteke’s finishing is better than Balotelli who hit it at De Gea every shot. He’ll just put it wide each and every time. Although no Cleverley and no Richardson to replace Cleverley in midfield, a midfield of Delph and Sanchez and that’s about it is what we have centrally… Of course unless he puts Herd there. Which Bacuna should go there but I have my doubts.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
          OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 5:15 pm .

Whichever way u look at it we will lose la,berk will go for damage limitation

1. Andrew
            Andrew December 14, 2014 at 10:59 pm .

Always does.

4. jvillan
    jvillan December 14, 2014 at 4:44 pm .

fox said in big speech some body going to check stats
    well 10 goals 17 matches one cup
    36matches no goals out of 92
    gabby and wiemen 2 strikers as keane said give them 10000 pound coundt score brothel
    delphplays couple matches for england thinks he a star

5. billys boots
    billys boots December 14, 2014 at 7:00 pm .

guzan
    vlaar. okore clarke

lowton bacuna sanchez delph cissoko

robinson grealish

benteke

i would pay to see that formation just once but you just know wieman and agbohnlahor would be in there instead

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 7:11 pm .

Playing devils advocate we are sure Lamberk won’t try for a win and even if he did we will lose anyway hence this is a free game. On that basis should Lamberk rest some players for games after where we are more likely to get a result of put them into a game we’ve no hope of winning. With xmas period coming up we need to pick and choose games to turn up in or not if that makes sense?

6. jvillan
    jvillan December 14, 2014 at 7:12 pm .

billy boots
    thats 12 players
    but expect lambert yo 523 next week get vlar wiemen back in lambertspets lowton to replace hutton utd probably win 3/4 nil lambert will come out say cant fault players we got into utd half at least 4 times after centring blame injuries suspensions grealish to young even tho wilson mc nair for utd younger

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 9:09 pm .

Even with 12 players we would lose

7. billys boots
    billys boots December 14, 2014 at 7:37 pm .

thats why it didnt look right when i wrote it down on to the naughty step for me i think

8. Benno
    Benno December 14, 2014 at 9:15 pm .

If Man United can put a young kid up front ahead of the likes of Falcao, then I think Lamberk could give Grealish or Robinson a shot over Nzogbia and co.! We cant score any less goals thats for sure!

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 9:28 pm .

Change of subject anyone read this latest takeover rumour by Mark Cuban another yank billionaire yawn that’s all we need but probably a step up from lerner http://www.winnersports.co.uk/billionaire-mark-cuban-interested-in-buying-aston-villa-fc-42201

1. Andrew
        Andrew December 14, 2014 at 11:01 pm .

Nothing wrong with a Yank… But he’s tweeted “He doesn’t even know what team that is :)” I do question the smiley face though.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
          OohAhPaulMcGrath December 15, 2014 at 2:15 am .

Usual bull shit then. Even liverpool are suffering under the yanks they just here to make money and stop relegation process.

1. Andrew
            Andrew December 15, 2014 at 3:19 am .

They had a net spend of 40m… And spent 140m altogether. I’d hardly call that suffering. It’s more Rodgers spent it on players not good enough nor are they players suitable for his tactics. Plus money? Come on, their owners own the Boston Red Sox… They wouldn’t own Liverpool for money purposes.

2. Andrew
            Andrew December 15, 2014 at 3:49 am .

2 things on this Cuban thing as well.

1. He lives in Dallas and is well known for sports, Villa were just in Dallas. Something tells me, he’s heard of us.

2. I don’t know of any rich man, especially a billionaire businessman, that uses emoticons, and he used a smiley one when claiming he’s never heard of us. That screams sarcasm to me, unless he’s trying to put it nicely that it’s basically a no.

9. jaymo83
    jaymo83 December 14, 2014 at 11:42 pm .

Another change if subject – apparently Steve Clarke will be our new number 2 and will be appointed early this week???

1. Andrew
      Andrew December 15, 2014 at 1:30 am .

Read that rumour about a week or two ago and while he is a well respected man, he’s a defensive kind of manager and not sure we need one of those.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
        OohAhPaulMcGrath December 15, 2014 at 2:16 am .

He’s a good tactician as well that’s some thing lamberk definitely dosnt have

1. Andrew
          Andrew December 15, 2014 at 3:20 am .

That is true. I’m not saying I don’t like him, he’s well respected but he’s definitely a defensive minded guy, which is why most Pool fans want him back, as he did well under Dalglish.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 15, 2014 at 2:15 am .

Now that would be a great move imo great tactical ability and well respected rather have him as manager tbh

10. Andrew
    Andrew December 15, 2014 at 1:36 am .

Linked to Ben Marshall, 23 year old winger at Blackburn. 5 goals, 3 assists so far in 19 games. 14 goals and 21 assists in 93 games in the Championship. I have my doubts, though we’ve reportedly sent a scout to watch him, guess we’ll see.

1. saddened
      saddened December 15, 2014 at 8:17 am .

That Marshall looks decent, but will get injured in training then spend a couple of seasons on the bench !

1. Andrew
        Andrew December 15, 2014 at 5:38 pm .

Think he’s played RB like twice in his career according to the stats I looked up. My guess is another Bacuna… Played out of position constantly despite being a creative player, he’ll be made a defensive player.

2. Andrew
        Andrew December 15, 2014 at 8:00 pm .

Seems we’re linked to a winger at Watford now too. Right position, no idea if these two are good enough though. Some Villa fans think so.