WBA 1 – 0 Villa; thoughts

As soon as Kieran Richardson was sent off, for what for me, was a good decision by Mike Dean, I thought we were in trouble.
In real time, it looked a terrible tackle and although the slow motion replay showed it wasn’t quite as bad, you just can’t go in like that with your studs showing.
While I can see that some of you might debate that, I thought it was a potential ankle breaker.
So a good decision.
I want to give a bit of credit to the ref here, by the way, as I thought he called most things correctly and gave probably a man of the match performance.
So in short Richardson is out for our next game.
No major loss for me, as I really don’t rate him and it surely makes Delph’s return easier for Lambert.

So we were down to 10 men after 21 minutes and I just had the feeling that even though Albion were quite toothless, we wouldn’t be able to hold on.

I have to say our performance today seemed to revert back to our usual level of a lack of creativity, but I have to temper my thoughts with that fact that we were a man down.

That said, I still think we had too many invisible players.
N’zogbia was one. Surely his days at the Villa are numbered now, but I can’t see a way out for him, given his wages. The only way he’s going is if we swallow a big percentage of his wages.

What about Cleverley? I really don’t see it with him at all.
He needs to be replaced with someone better. Someone who gets involved more.

While I’m loathe to complain about Okore (who was probably my MOTM) or Clark, am I the only one who thought our defence overall was very poor at actually clearing the ball?

Hutton, who had a torrid time early on actually looked our most creative player at times.
That’s the crazy world of Villa at present, it seems.

Sanchez gives the ball away far too much, but I still like the looks of him and hopefully he’ll improve that side of things. He’s looking a very good buy for the £3.5 million he cost.

The actual goal itself, from Gardner of all people, was poor. Guzan should have done better, but it shouldn’t have mattered, as we had two defenders near enough on the line, which should have seen us safe.
Hmm……

Did we deserve to lose against a very average Albion side?
I don’t know really, but going 70 minutes with a man down, the odds are against you.
Then again, if we’d have kept eleven players on the pitch I reckon we’d have probably taken all the points.

While it’s disappointing to lose against Albion, who have actually become a bit of a banker game for us over the last good few years, you won’t find any hysterics from me today.

For once I agree with Lambert.
We go again.

Trouble is, it’s Man United next, isn’t it?

1. fucked-right-off
    fucked-right-off December 13, 2014 at 5:43 pm .

Lambert is without doubt the most tactically inept “manager” in the game. Why he started with Richardson and clearly went there with the attitude of “don’t lose the game” baffles me. I’ve stuck with Lambert and tried to support him like i have every other Villa manager in the 35 years i have followed them but today is the final straw. I refuse to support a “manager” who is so negative it’s frightening. Now to make matters worse we are told that it’ll take 3-5 years to put us back on the map…….This club does not deserve the support it gets, it is a complete and utter shambles.

1. Bill Pearson
      Bill Pearson December 13, 2014 at 6:47 pm .

Join the club, Badger looked at them stats this times last season and guess what, We are no further forwards than going backwards, and what your intermated things are not going to change, 6 shots at goal, 2 on target, don’t that tell you how inept Lambert is, again We will have to thank other teams If We stay in the league, what they hell do We do to stop a yank sitting in he’s world saying fuck you brits I don’t give a fuck. I say again , not buying, not going, and hope We go down to give him what he deserves as a Yank that knows nothing of the English game.what a sorry state We are in.

2. Benno
    Benno December 13, 2014 at 6:06 pm .

I thought Okore looked the business today, especially given the pressure we were under. You cant really knock the defence this season, our problem is further up the field.

I think Sanchez is going to be some player for us too. Yes, he gives the ball away too easily at times, but he gets around, wins the ball and always wants the ball. I agree about Cleverley too, works hard but there is no end product in terms of killer passes, crosses or even shots. There are much better players available for that kind of money.

Obviously today was totally dictated by the sending off, but i still dont think Lambert is getting the team right. I just dont understand the formation he is playing and how on earth Nzogbia is getting into the team!

Benteke is the best player we’ve had at Villa for a long time, and if we want to keep him, we have to get better players in and around him.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 7:09 pm .

Benteke will go as soon as possible it’s just a matter of time no matter who we sign. We are never going to get decent players to support him

3. GIDDYVILLAN
    GIDDYVILLAN December 13, 2014 at 7:02 pm .

Hope we don’t go through with the purchase of cleverly,had him for a test run not impressed.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 7:07 pm .

No nor me no better than bacuna or Westwood can see y utd don’t want him

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 7:16 pm .

Well you couldn’t make this shit up Lamberk is pleased with our movement what a clown http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-paul-lambert-pleased-8284768

4. GIDDYVILLAN
    GIDDYVILLAN December 13, 2014 at 7:48 pm .

We seem spoilt for choice in defense, sorry I can’t say the same for the midfield.New blood January lol I think the booze has finally got to me.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 8:19 pm .

That’s the on,y positive this season Hutton and Okore

1. GIDDYVILLAN
        GIDDYVILLAN December 13, 2014 at 8:33 pm .

What about baker & your best buddy vlaar mate????I think as long as you keep Clarke & baker apart its not too bad in defense.isn’t it????

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
          OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 2:22 am .

Yep Clarke and Okore should be the default CB pairing now Lambert has stumbled on a winning partnership at last but only because of injuries. All fans were calling for Okore ages ago ffs.

5. TBaggie
    TBaggie December 13, 2014 at 9:07 pm .

Banker game? You’ve beaten us once in 8 games and that was lucky!

6. jvillan
    jvillan December 13, 2014 at 9:30 pm .

as russell slade cardiff manager said if 442 good enough for real madrid good enough for him, we set up to defend from the off no width gabby couldnt keep the ball up front in fact cant keep nowhere stupid free kick he gave on stroke half time, trust lambert in january well season 2012/13 he signed about 9 players and only okore and maybe kozak any good,already this season cole sendross richardson how many of first half of season matches have they been available to play going to pay8million for cleverly when he is just like bardsleyoshea brown quinten fortune ben foster all internationals at utd but also crap

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 2:24 am .

Agree imo Benteke and Okore are Lambert’s best signings the rest are just crap imo though can’t quite decide on Cissoko.

7. OriginalLondonLion
    OriginalLondonLion December 14, 2014 at 1:10 am .

N’zogbia, Richardson and Cole are just shadows of the players they once were, and Cleverly never has been a star player. He was a passenger at Man Utd who was sussed as soon as Utd weren’t good enough to carry him. So it is a good job somebody else will be doing the buying come January.

As others say above what new blood won’t cure, is Lambert’s defensive mind-set before the sending off – shown in the starting roles for Richardson and N’zog.

Benteke and Gabby were playing with their backs to goal with a marker right on them, nobody in our midfield could hold the ball long enough to allow the forwards to turn.

Man Utd next – well the good news is we have busted a longer sequence already the season by winning away to Palace. We will have to take every chance we create.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath December 14, 2014 at 2:28 am .

Just hope we don’t part with £8m for Cleverley everton are welcome to him. We can get just as good for a couple of mill elsewhere. Can’t see anything but a utd win next week. They won’t thrash us as Lamberk will park the bus but will be a comfortable 2.0 for them maybe both goals coming second half then Lamberk can say we drew 0.0 with them in first half!!’

8. Gary Penrice
    Gary Penrice December 14, 2014 at 10:07 am .

Who said this?
    “There is a good way to lose in football sometimes and I felt we did that today”.

God help us!

1. Bill Pearson
      Bill Pearson December 14, 2014 at 1:12 pm .

Let me guess Lambert, I’ve now resolved that what happening it will not get any better and god help the club, 10 goals in 19 games the worst in the league, our defence holding but not one brain in the midfield and forward line accept Benteke, what a joke, what players will move to Villa Park, ? the end is nye a sinking ship in January is what I see.

9. Jay Dee
    Jay Dee December 14, 2014 at 12:03 pm .

Why was Richardson going in like that anyway especially in one of the most important games for Villa supporters in the season he wants lynching UTV We should get beat by UTD poor poor Villa

10. Simon James Mills
    Simon James Mills December 14, 2014 at 12:50 pm .

You know what makes me laugh when fans say we had our 2 strikers out for a long time yet I recall our 2nd highest scorer from last season was bacuna who is prefect fit wonder why we not scoring enough another great manger tactic from lambert who doesn’t play him