Preston 1-1 Villa; feels like and indeed is, 2 points dropped, although credit to them

I should have known better, shouldn’t I, than calling this one a certain win?
The Villa never fail to let us down, whenever we think it’s in the bag.

I commented early on that I thought us playing so wide all the time wasn’t working.
You can say that Bolasie and El Ghazi were just poor today or you can say Preston did very well in just controlling them. It doesn’t really matter, as either way, they were ineffective.
Couple that with Whelan and Hourihane both being pretty much invisible (the latter, again) and to me, it was obvious.

John McGinn is excepted from any criticism, to my mind, because although he was amongst the most sloppy of our side, so his workrate and desire to win the ball back continue to keep me astounded.

Whatever, I think my point is proven when you consider that we brought Bjarnason on for Whelan and he offered more in a couple of minutes, than Hourihane and Whelan had put together previously.

What concerns me slightly about that is that the coaches didn’t see it, or at least left it too late to change it.
In Smith’s defence, perhaps he just thought that one of the wingers would just produce something. Which is fair enough, given that they do have that ability.

You have to give massive credit to Preston though.
Given the injuries they have, they gave us a very good game and maybe deserved to even nick it, given that poor goalkeeping from Nyland (again!) nearly gave them an early goal headstart.

Whatever, this is massively disappointing when you consider that today was a good day to catch up on the top 6.
While it was a poor first half, it got better and better as the game went on.
Football is supposed to be about entertainment and I suppose we got it today, even if the result isn’t what we wanted.

As per usual, we move on.
QPR next.

Holte66 December 31, 2018 at 6:23 pm .

Happy new year to everyone and here’s to 2019 being Villa’s year! UTV

Bill Pearson December 31, 2018 at 6:29 pm .

Holte thanks,
      Happy New Year to all on astonvillanewsandviews, from Bill Pearson.

Originallondonlion December 31, 2018 at 9:29 pm .

Hitchens – you linked to an article in the Grauniad from April 2017 about Brentford in which 2 of their coaching staff were interviewed. Since then one moved to Villa and the other died. If you hear that the Guardian are going to do an article on Villa – will you tip everybody at VP so they can be out? Or have they been already to chat to our keepers?

Hitchens60 January 1, 2019 at 12:47 am .

Never read left wing newspapers. Happy New Year OLL

Originallondonlion January 1, 2019 at 1:08 am .

And Happy New year to you, Hitchens.

Bill Pearson January 1, 2019 at 9:46 am .

Same here Hitch, just complete rubbish news, well I’m still alive after drinking myself silly, got the grandkids and daughter with husband for a cockerel dinner coming .but my mind will be on today’s game. 2-1 Villa. Happy New year to you all and the best site that’s supporting our great club.Badger keep it going mate.lol

Hitchens60 January 1, 2019 at 10:25 am .

Happy New Year Bill – May all your 2019 wishes come true starting with a win today. 8 people for dinner last night including eldest daughter and family. Like you enjoyed a bevvy or three so quiet day today – I wish!

Echo your sentiments about the site – indebted to you Badger; thanks.

nath January 1, 2019 at 9:46 am .

is there a game today ( my head hurts ) hope you all had a great night and returned home safely. 2019 will be our year

Bill Pearson January 1, 2019 at 9:48 am .

Nath, know how you feel , yes 3 pm ko.

nath January 1, 2019 at 9:53 am .

i am just looking now for the time lol cheers QPR innit i am not too sure of myself yet. i bet its on red button

Hitchens60 January 1, 2019 at 10:26 am .

Yep – red button mate

nath January 1, 2019 at 9:52 am .

Tyias Browning looks to be heading to villa on loan from everton 24 year old seems a little old to be still a novice only 9 appearances for everton. that looks like the end for tuanzebe at villa

Hitchens60 January 1, 2019 at 10:39 am .

Not sure about Tuanzebe going back to Manure. Isn’t perceived wisdom that a squad should include 4 cb’s?

Even with Elphick coming back, Chester will have to keep playing otherwise we haven’t strengthened the defence although I would expect Smith to rest Chester for the Cup game.

DSVilla January 1, 2019 at 10:50 am .

I have read that we have recalled Easah Suliman from loan at FC Emmen in Holland. I’m not sure of the implication of that. Tuanzebe would be a loss, but he may be the sort of defender that Solskjaer might want to involve. I guess his injury might be why Suliman is back, given that Chester has been carrying a knee injury most of the season as well.

nath January 1, 2019 at 10:58 am .

before solskjaer it was said in manc tuanzebe would stay but soon as he get the chop they were saying he will be recalled. then he got injured and he went back to be assessed. i think he will stay there and it will be sad cause he was beginning to blossom.

suliman must be shite, to return from loan and be unable to get into villa team which consists of 3 right. its said he will go straight back out. needs to drop right down to maybe scottish level

that everton guy i have never heard of him, he was a sunderland last year when they got relegated

Hitchens60 January 1, 2019 at 11:11 am .

Suliman came back because he got no game time in Holland so no point in him staying – will probably get loaned back out assuming someone will have him!

nath January 1, 2019 at 10:36 am .

anybody know anything about apps one called atoide for androids firetv. it wont allow me to download any apps. sorry to pester none villa problems but need help. thanks in advance

Badger123 January 1, 2019 at 1:38 pm .