Villa 2 – 2 Hull; Good and bad, but not good enough

Isn’t it strange how views can suddenly change during a game?

I was absolutely fuming at half time because of how we cannot stop giving the ball away far too cheaply.
Hourihane seemed the main example, but he was far from alone.
I get that if you’re trying to play a fast-paced, one touch type of game, you’re going to make mistakes.
But it’s not that, that bothers me.
Sometimes it’s just basic simple passing, in balls being totally mis-directed or more often way underhit.
It’s incredibly annoying.

But, looking on the bright side, you can’t knock the fact that we pulled two goals back to equalise, can you?
Of course, we should never have gone two down in the first place and I question Kalinic for at least one of them.
But just when we were looking well and truly beaten, so we managed to turn it around.

The second half was much better and while I still wasn’t convinced by our performance, we did show more energy and drive. So much so that I thought we were the better side.

What I think doesn’t matter though.
What does, is the fact that we’ve drawn at home. Again.
And that is simply not good enough.
We need wins if our rapidly fading hopes of the play-offs are to stay alive and we didn’t get one.

It was interesting that Smith seemed to listen to some of the fan’s criticism.
No Bree, no Hause and we played two attackers, although I’m not sure it was an out-and-out 4-4-2?

Ultimately, Hull will be happy with their point.
And after many of us thought we would probably lose this game, maybe we ought to be happy with ours too.
I just look at things historically and think we really ought to be beating Hull at home.
If I heard correctly, they haven’t beaten us at Villa Park since 1967.
Maybe that explains my massive disappointment?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Villan57 January 20, 2019 at 7:12 pm .

Just echoing the thrust of what has been said. No point going up via the playoffs and doing a Fulham or a Huddersfield – we need to go up and make a decent showing and re-establish ourselves in the PL where we belong.

Badger123 January 20, 2019 at 7:39 pm .

I totally disagree with some of the points.
    We CANNOT be seen to selling the likes of Grealish or Kodjia.
    To do so is totally admitting we’re just a middling Championship club, with no ambition whatsoever.

I know it makes sense financially, but come on, do we have pretences at being a big club, or not?

Let’s not forget we have one of the best supports in the Championship and it’s even better than half of the Premier league.

I simply refuse to believe that we need to resort to thinking along the lines of Brentford and we should not set our sights that low.

Yes, we’ve made massive mistakes, in buying stupidly over-priced and over-paid players.
    But let’s keep things reasonable.

We have more resources than most clubs and we should use them at the right time.
    My hope is that Smith will spend serious money when it’s the right player.
    And it won’t be the likes of Hause.

Hitchens60 January 21, 2019 at 1:20 pm .

Agree about Grealish Badger – no debate, we should be building a team around him and players like McGinn, Chester, Green, Davies etc.

Kodjia – I think that’s different. Even the biggest teams sell good players – Morata to Athletico for instance – selling Kodjia wouldn’t define us in the way you suggest as long as we are reinvesting sensibly to improve the side.

I would like to see us buying Tuanzebe for instance as a real statement. Also, repeat, repeat, a top left back (not a 39 year old!) and defensive mid fielder with good ball playing skills.

VillaAwayInDiv3 January 20, 2019 at 10:48 pm .
    Dan January 20, 2019 at 10:51 pm .

Honestly, I hope we don’t go up this year. Imagine the situation come the summer when we will ship out Whelan, Jedi, lose Tammy, bolasie, el ghazi, tuanzebe, Taylor will go, Hause back. We have no team left and would have to transition in the prem and inevitably going straight back down.

You can’t blame Dean Smith, he’s saying the right things and played the right style at Brentford to me to believe he will make it work. Who was the mug that thought the likes of whelan, Jedi, Hutton, Taylor etc would get us back where we belong?? Our team is either on loan(so don’t Care about the club as they will back with parent club soon) or over 30 (and know if they take us to the premier league they will be sold or benched). It’s no surprise that the players that are best performing (grealish and McGinn) are our own players who have something to prove and ambition. Ship the lot out in the summer and get some hungry young players in as build these guys to premier league standard.

Can’t stand another season of wobbly legged crocks running around half heartedly.

Hopefully smith has a war chest to get some youth into the team

Bill Pearson January 21, 2019 at 12:45 pm .

This from one of the sports papers claiming he’s already been to us under Bruce last summer. It seems he’s unhappy with his club and wants out.

Aston Villa have been handed a boost in their pursuit of Harold Moukoudi this weekend, as he is frozen out at Le Havre for refusing to sign a new deal, as reported by French outlet L’Equip.

The 21-year-old was close to a deal at Villa this summer, even visiting the training centre and holding talks with Steve Bruce, but he ended up remaining with his own club and looking to further his development at home.

This season his stock has continued to rise and he’s become even more prominent, with the report suggesting Borussia Dortmund and Napoli are both in the hunt for his signature.

He’s refused to sign a long-term deal with Ligue 2 side Le Harve and their hierarchy have now instructed coach Oswald Tanchot to leave him out of the side until a deal is signed, or until he is sold this window.

Bill Pearson January 21, 2019 at 4:34 pm .

Bolasie sent back to Everton ,Villa terminates loan.

Bill Pearson January 21, 2019 at 4:38 pm .

Winger Yannick Bolasie has returned to Everton early after the player decided to cut short his loan spell at Aston Villa.

The 29-year-old was farmed out to the SkyBet Championship club by new manager Marco Silva after making just 17 appearances in the previous campaign having come back from a year out with a serious knee injury.

Bolasie played 21 times for Villa, currently 13th in the Championship, this season with nine starts and two goals.

However, the DR Congo international, who has made played just 32 times for Everton since his £25million signing from Crystal Palace in August 2016, has decided to extricate himself from the loan deal.

“Yannick Bolasie has returned to Everton Football Club today after he exercised an option in his loan agreement with Aston Villa,” said a Toffees statement.

bill evans January 21, 2019 at 5:40 pm .

So, it sounds like *he* decided to leave, and left it until the last minute. After his display on Saturday, I, for one, am delighted. We don’t need loaners if they aren’t committed. Let’s get young Green some game time instead.

I’ve also heard the Kodja isn’t happy. For me that’s a shame because I thought that Smith was having a good impact on him.

DSVilla January 21, 2019 at 5:51 pm .

Not sad to see Bolasie go. I would expect more from £70K a week. With Green back we don’t need him and we can spend the money elsewhere.

Holte66 January 21, 2019 at 6:43 pm .

I’m also pleased that Bolasie has returned to Everton. His form was sporadic at best and his wages meant Villa weren’t getting value for their money. Also Green should get more game time and he is one of ours. With luck we might be able to ship a few more wasters before end of the month.

Holte66 January 21, 2019 at 7:03 pm .

Also feel for Everton who late in the transfer window get an added £75,000 per week added to the wage bill for a player who will at best make the bench. I don’t hold any grudges though and wish him well. 😂