Villa 2 – 2 Hull; Good and bad, but not good enough

Isn’t it strange how views can suddenly change during a game?

I was absolutely fuming at half time because of how we cannot stop giving the ball away far too cheaply.
Hourihane seemed the main example, but he was far from alone.
I get that if you’re trying to play a fast-paced, one touch type of game, you’re going to make mistakes.
But it’s not that, that bothers me.
Sometimes it’s just basic simple passing, in balls being totally mis-directed or more often way underhit.
It’s incredibly annoying.

But, looking on the bright side, you can’t knock the fact that we pulled two goals back to equalise, can you?
Of course, we should never have gone two down in the first place and I question Kalinic for at least one of them.
But just when we were looking well and truly beaten, so we managed to turn it around.

The second half was much better and while I still wasn’t convinced by our performance, we did show more energy and drive. So much so that I thought we were the better side.

What I think doesn’t matter though.
What does, is the fact that we’ve drawn at home. Again.
And that is simply not good enough.
We need wins if our rapidly fading hopes of the play-offs are to stay alive and we didn’t get one.

It was interesting that Smith seemed to listen to some of the fan’s criticism.
No Bree, no Hause and we played two attackers, although I’m not sure it was an out-and-out 4-4-2?

Ultimately, Hull will be happy with their point.
And after many of us thought we would probably lose this game, maybe we ought to be happy with ours too.
I just look at things historically and think we really ought to be beating Hull at home.
If I heard correctly, they haven’t beaten us at Villa Park since 1967.
Maybe that explains my massive disappointment?

1. bill evans January 19, 2019 at 8:10 pm .

I’m sorry, but the Viking should only make the bench imo. I thought he did better when he went forward but his first half was crap.

Only 2 players were in the game for me today: Abraham & McGinn. I’ll forgive Chester for his goal and brilliant goal line save, but too many times he looked unsteady and he played some untidy passes, as did most of the team tbh.

I thought that Kodja & Green added a great deal to our game and should be in the starting line-up. Bollasie should be a power sub like Bjarnason.

Chester was a great player when he was partnered with Terry. He needs to find a way to be an even better player with lesser players. Maybe holding the captaincy is affecting his play.

2. Hitchens60 January 20, 2019 at 7:47 am .

Spot on Badger – I think (before yesterday) we’d won 11 of last 15 in all competitions against Hull and not lost in 12 at home.

Chester had begun to look his old self as his partnership with a continually improving Tuanzebe developed. We miss Tuanzebe – a natural ball player – as much as we miss JG. Losing both to long term injuries has been a cruel blow and serves to highlight the lack of true depth in the squad.

Chester now has to develop a partnership with Elphick but are either of them really able to naturally play the ball out of defence and does that require Smith to adapt his tactics to suit what he has?

3. Bill Pearson January 20, 2019 at 8:19 am .

On the right post this time, Hitch I think we’re all on the same page now, first half by all accounts was poor so I hear, Second half exceptable to a degree, still need 3 and we all know where, Bjarnason sorry not for us nore Hourihane not positive players passing is terrible. I’m still in Smith’s camp till end of season or he shows us that things are looking up, its not his fault he’s been inherited with but he’s pointed out its not right for the club. Imo.

4. VillaAwayInDiv3 January 20, 2019 at 11:54 am .

I know that probably the owners and some fans still hope we get promotion but I will settle for playing a lot better CONSISTENTLY and maybe an adventure in the play-offs BUT without going up. It would be a disaster if we got to the Prem…its too soon. Just hope those other local teams don’t go up before us though..lol

1. Hitchens60 January 20, 2019 at 12:59 pm .

I’m on the page with that.

5. Bill Pearson January 20, 2019 at 12:24 pm .

Sound thinking , villaawayindiv3.

6. Holte66 January 20, 2019 at 1:32 pm .

I hope that we don’t end up signing players for way over the odds for the hope we can make playoffs. Personally I wouldn’t be upset if we didn’t sign anyone and managed to offload a few. If we can get to the summer with a lot of players coming to the end of their contracts, then we have a better chance to bring in players to suit Smiths style of play. I think we are currently where we are which is a mid table championship team. We will have a lot of upheaval at the end of the season, and probably will lose Grealish to a premier team but with a big fee we should be able to rebuild, especially with high earners going soon.

1. villaawayindiv3 January 20, 2019 at 1:44 pm .

It’s seems an eternity that we have been trying to offload high earning deadwood….as you say let’s get rid and build something that might have some legs on it….it’s sounds easy to fill.positions with players that can actually play there but for some reason we always cick it up.

7. Holte66 January 20, 2019 at 2:06 pm .

I hope Smith is given time to build his own team. It’s fair to say that Steve Bruce and Dean Smith teams were miles apart in style of play. I would imagine that there are some of the squad that Smith considers as capable of playing his way but most of them probably not. There is a history of us signing championship players for big money such as Hogan, McCormack, Hourihane and Kodja, plus high earning loans and frankly it hasn’t worked. I hope Smith finds a few more McGinns where they might not necessarily be proven but have potential and more importantly the desire and work ethic.

8. Pat 57 January 20, 2019 at 3:51 pm .

It’s nice to see fans being realistic here. We are where we are and we should be thankful that we’re not still stuck with Xia and a financial black hole.

For the rest of the season I think we should just sit back and relax while Smith makes the changes. We’ll hopefully see an improvement and some better football while being less stressed out.

UTV

9. Hitchens60 January 20, 2019 at 4:22 pm .

There are reports suggesting Kodjia may be loaned back to his former French club Angers. I suspect he’s unhappy at not starting regularly and then being played out wide!

Personally, he’s one player I would let go if we can get the right money, although I’m pretty sure we will lose money on the deal. He would be another high earner – hitting 30 years (not goals!) – off the books.