Villa 2- 1 Watford; I don’t believe what I’ve just seen

We walked this game and Watford took the lead,
It then seemed to me that everything we were doing just looked like it wasn’t going to work out.
We’d dominated possession, passing and whatever stat you like.
Yet still Deeney managed to score again, against the run of play.

I’d already got the headline in mind, in that if we can’t beat Watford at home, we’re going down.
It was as simple as that.
And frankly, I still believe that was true.

I was massively worried, because I just couldn’t see where a goal was coming from, with our incredibly poor crossing into noone in particular.

And then, as Watford had possession in goal, I went to the toilet only to find that we’d scored to make it 1-1.

We still didn’t look that good to my mind, but somehow, we managed to net again in literally what must have been the last 10 seconds.

Where my brain nearly exploded and all that chemistry kicks off.

How the hell did we manage to pull that one back?

I’m trying to wind down and have to say I thought Watford were utter crap.
And if we couldn’t beat them at home, we were looking certs to be relegated.
That was going to be the gist of my post.

If Samatta can get us a few goals, perhaps we have a chance of surviving.
And we showed some signs of not giving up, which is a good thing.

But Jesus, we look poor as a team and we’re in a serious fight to stay up.
Grealish apart (and even he didn’t have a great game), we just look so average or worse.

I still can’t believe we won that, but if we can drag results like that out, we should be ok.

It just goes to show.
I said that Watford were second in the form table, while we were 15th, yet I still thought we might win.
It’s definitely a funny old game.
To make it even stranger, I was talking to a an old time Blue nose, who freely admitted to being a hooligan, in hs day.
He said he’d got a fiver on us to win.

Does that say it all?
It feels like it to me.

I’m still euphoric, I think.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Texas Villan January 22, 2020 at 7:06 pm .

Great interview from Ally Samatta on the mail. He seems humble and driven. Also a shrewd commercial acquisition. With a country of football fans at a little over 59m, he being the first player in the Prem from Tanzania, it’d be safe to assume in shirt sales alone there that would about pay for his transfer fee!

VillaAwayInDiv3 January 22, 2020 at 8:21 pm .

Leicester 2 up against West Ham and Vardy injured….things looking up.

Hitchens60 January 23, 2020 at 4:33 pm .

Villa sign Louie Barrie from Barca. The Baggies are not happy 🙂

Hitchens60 January 23, 2020 at 5:39 pm .

Will this kid become the youngest player for Villa in the EPL. The hype that surrounds him is something else?

Hitchens60 January 23, 2020 at 6:15 pm .

Villa Women 3 points ahead in the Women’s Championship with a game in hand looking to be promoted to the WSL and toppling Blues ‘castle’. Article well worth reading and yet another indication of our owners ambition.

UTV – great times ahead methinks.

Holte66 January 23, 2020 at 6:27 pm .

One loan and one permanent signing in 23 days! We could do with another striker, winger and CM. That’s 3 players in 8 more days. It’s looking highly unlikely unless we have a mad transfer deadline day.
    There seems to be too much hype about Samatta. For 8.5m I’m not expecting much. After all, Wesley was 3 times as much money and he has found it tough. Therefore I will set my expectation bar really low and hope to be pleasantly surprised. I suppose he has to be an improvement on El Ghazi.

Hitchens60 January 23, 2020 at 7:04 pm .

Holte – think we’ll just concentrate on getting another striker in – unless Barrie is it 🙂

Don’t think we’ll sign anyone else.

Holte66 January 23, 2020 at 7:36 pm .

Hitch, we do need another striker but I’m really hoping there’s some possibility that we can get Nzonzi because we really need a physical presence in midfield. All the others are lightweight and good teams cut through us like a hot knife through butter.

Hitchens60 January 23, 2020 at 7:49 pm .

Totally agree Holte – but would he come to Villa – even on a 6 month loan?

He would provide additional strength and experience in mid field and allow Luiz to play further up the field where I think he’s more effective. I suspect Smith sees Drinkwater as fulfilling the ‘Nzonzi role’.

Holte66 January 23, 2020 at 8:43 pm .

That’s the worry! Drinkwater starting every game in the hope he eventually has a decent game.

Holte66 January 23, 2020 at 8:45 pm .

It seems West Ham are confident in signing Nzonzi. The pull of London probably the key factor.

Hitchens60 January 23, 2020 at 9:00 pm .

Well he may be disappointed then – in West Ham, not London 🙂

And, frankly, who wants a player more interested in the night life on offer? We want players that will give everything for Villa which I think we will get from Samatta.

It seems that Giroud’s transfer to Inter may be in jeopardy – would still like to see him at Villa. Oh well, we can dream,

Hitchens60 January 23, 2020 at 9:02 pm .

Watford losing at Tranmere. ‘Dead cat bounce’ – can hope can’t we?

Originallondonlion January 23, 2020 at 10:31 pm .

Badger: Wow sports working well on phone but tried the Bluestacks on my fast PC and picture is all stop-start. I noticed the downloads for Wow gave 3 options so I picked 5.5 same as for the phone but wonder if the PC option was correct?