Villa 2- 1 Watford; I don’t believe what I’ve just seen

We walked this game and Watford took the lead,
It then seemed to me that everything we were doing just looked like it wasn’t going to work out.
We’d dominated possession, passing and whatever stat you like.
Yet still Deeney managed to score again, against the run of play.

I’d already got the headline in mind, in that if we can’t beat Watford at home, we’re going down.
It was as simple as that.
And frankly, I still believe that was true.

I was massively worried, because I just couldn’t see where a goal was coming from, with our incredibly poor crossing into noone in particular.

And then, as Watford had possession in goal, I went to the toilet only to find that we’d scored to make it 1-1.

We still didn’t look that good to my mind, but somehow, we managed to net again in literally what must have been the last 10 seconds.

Where my brain nearly exploded and all that chemistry kicks off.

How the hell did we manage to pull that one back?

I’m trying to wind down and have to say I thought Watford were utter crap.
And if we couldn’t beat them at home, we were looking certs to be relegated.
That was going to be the gist of my post.

If Samatta can get us a few goals, perhaps we have a chance of surviving.
And we showed some signs of not giving up, which is a good thing.

But Jesus, we look poor as a team and we’re in a serious fight to stay up.
Grealish apart (and even he didn’t have a great game), we just look so average or worse.

I still can’t believe we won that, but if we can drag results like that out, we should be ok.

It just goes to show.
I said that Watford were second in the form table, while we were 15th, yet I still thought we might win.
It’s definitely a funny old game.
To make it even stranger, I was talking to a an old time Blue nose, who freely admitted to being a hooligan, in hs day.
He said he’d got a fiver on us to win.

Does that say it all?
It feels like it to me.

I’m still euphoric, I think.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Bill Pearson January 21, 2020 at 10:11 pm .

Please type it again as I went to the toilet came back and we scored,. They think we went together.

Hitchens60 January 21, 2020 at 10:35 pm .

Just watched the goals. No way can Mings claim the second goal – that was Konsa’s goal all day long. Great assist by Reina!

DSVilla January 22, 2020 at 8:47 am .

Totally agree. Reina had a reputation for assists at Liverpool as well, though generally from quick, accurate release during open play though.

I’m going to keep my negative score predictions up in the hope that the team keep confounding me.

Tony Hill January 21, 2020 at 10:37 pm .

I still think Smith’s team selection and tactics are questionable, he should have started Luis and Vassilev. And what’s happened to Engels??
    If we go down it will be a disaster for AVFC, and Smith being a life-long fan won’t count for much!

Big Fat Ron January 21, 2020 at 11:20 pm .

Random point: anyone think Reina could be an upgrade on Heaton? Which would be a massive bonus.

Bill Evans January 22, 2020 at 2:22 am .

The Beeb gave Marvelous MOTM which surprised me until I watched a full replay of the match. He broke up a lot of the play and I was able on more than a few occasions to release the ball back to our line. He’s had off days but today was his.

Full marks to the whole team though. They played their hearts out and Luis throwing himself into the crowd exemplified all of that. Again it was JG moving them on, providing the lift – Villa through and through.

UTV

Benno January 22, 2020 at 3:56 am .

Yeah, was definitely MOTM. Was easily his best game. Closed down quickly, won his battles and kept the play moving. Much, much better. has to be him and Luiz next week, Drinkwater is miles off the pace at the moment.

Bum Bum January 22, 2020 at 9:36 am .

Shamefully I though this game was on at the weekend, but seeing the score cheered me right up!
    Very funny comments on the previous thread guys!!!
    I fooking love Mings!!!!

Bum Bum January 22, 2020 at 9:37 am .

P. S. According to the stats, first time we’ve come back to win from being down at half time since….. 2013! Shocking!

Hitchens60 January 22, 2020 at 10:16 am .

Yep – a run of 51 games!

Hitchens60 January 22, 2020 at 1:32 pm .

That’s in the EPL not all games

Bum Bum January 22, 2020 at 9:42 am .

P. P. S. Can you believe Spurs in 8th place are only 6 points away from us? What a weird season.

Big Fat Ron January 22, 2020 at 10:05 pm .

I was just looking at the table and thinking similar things, bum bum. Anyone on 30+ points should be kicking themselves because Chelsea seem determined to throw 4th spot away and are looking vulnerable. 4th is there for the taking but no one is taking it.

It sounds a lot but 15 points off Champions League, when you consider how many points we’ve either been shafted out of or just simply thrown away, is not actually that much for a promoted side. My point is, if we can stay up, then keep our best players, learn the lessons of the season, and add 2-3 top class additions in the summer, maybe the big time is not as impossible as it seems.

The league is definitely in a state of flux; Arsenal, Spurs and United are now all average sides with long roads back to the top. If Pep goes, who knows what will happen to City? There is definitely a gap in that top 4. If the Villa hierarchy are serious, they will need to move quickly and wisely in the next 6 months. After that, anything can happen. It’s football, so who knows?

Bum Bum January 22, 2020 at 6:40 pm .

Come on Leicester. Stuff the Irons 10-0!!!!!