It’s looking like Di Matteo’s the one. Or is he? And Riley to get the bullet?

Di-Matteo_2182524b

The Telegraph have run an article which seems to indicate at first glance that Roberto Di Matteo is definitely Dr Xia’s favoured choice as our next manager.
Here’s his wording, as quoted;

That is maybe the reason that a lot of people say that I am favouring Di Matteo” he said.

But again I find his comment a bit cryptic and while it’s a clever answer (I definitely think Xia’s a very intelligent bloke), I don’t find that line at all convincing and strongly suspect it’s a smokescreen.
Certainly, it makes no sense for Xia to talk openly about his choice of manager before he’s actually got him in the bag.
What if he decides to knock us back, just as Moyes has supposedly done and Pearson is about to do, if you believe the reports, for instance?
It’d only make the club look bigger mugs than we already do.
I still think it’s Pearson myself.
And the thought that I’ve just read an article where Di Matteo was (accidentally? I don’t know) called “Dim Matteo”, isn’t lost on me.
If we do hire him and he’s seen to be failing, I can see that one sticking.

The overwhelming immediate problem though, is if Holis favours Pearson and Xia favours Di Matteo, who’s going to actually make the choice, given that Xia won’t officially own the club until the deal has been approved?
I’m led to believe that the PL will do due diligence first, followed by the FL when that’s finished, but surely they’ll both be working on this at the same time?
Common sense says you would hope so and they’re working in collaboration, to make the process even more thorough.
But no doubt that would be far too simple.
Waiting another month won’t do us much good and we need a manager in quickly, to cast an eye over the miserable bunch we have representing us.

Earlier in the article, Xia talks about the scouting staff.
Here’s his words again;

I think a lot of Villa fans will agree that one thing we have to make much stronger is the scouting team,” he said.

I think, more or less, the scouting team they had before, they have to take a lot of responsibility.

Again it’s a clever answer and note the “more or less”.
It seems that this comment has led many to believe that Riley will get the bullet, something that would please many fans, myself included.
But I don’t see anything there that convinces me that Riley will automatically be sacked at all.
Holis hasn’t got rid of him, after all, has he? But perhaps that’s down to Lerner protecting him until the sale gets the PL and FL clearance.

I have to say doubt about Xia’s finances is beginning to be overtaken by the lack of a manager coming in, in my mind.
It needs sorting.

pat57 May 27, 2016 at 11:04 am .

Pat Murphy now reporting on BBC Sports Live that Di Matteo is the favourite.

He says –

‘It will be Dr Xia’s decision, though, and he is impressed that Di Matteo won the FA Cup and Champions’ League with Chelsea’

Beginning to not mind if it is RDM so long as he’s appointed quickly and can start the job of cleaning out the Augean stables* load of crap we’ve got at VP.

(*Fifth labour of Hercules – 1000 cattle with 30 years worth of crap – about the same amount as currently at VP)

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 27, 2016 at 8:03 pm .

Would hate Di Matteo Dr X is crap. Slag me all you want but in never wrong

pat57 May 27, 2016 at 11:39 am .

Pat Murphy on BBC Sports Live –

‘It looks like Nigel Pearson will miss out on the Aston Villa job, but he is now the odds-on to be appointed by Derby County after impressing in his interview.’

(Sigh)

VillaAwayInDiv3 May 27, 2016 at 11:48 am .

Tried posting this from my mobile and I cant get it to recognise my villaawayindiv3 user name…..wont try phone again…lol

If little has some input he would go for DiMateo not Pearson as he always went for a cautious approach when in charge.Pearson would be far too gung Ho. …I would love gung Ho if we had proper players.

Hitchens 60 May 27, 2016 at 1:18 pm .

Midfielder with Beijing I believe!

giddyvillan May 27, 2016 at 3:42 pm .

I see mc’dermotts sacked what are the odds for him being our next manager??

pat57 May 27, 2016 at 4:34 pm .
      giddyvillan May 27, 2016 at 4:43 pm .

Will it be a chance missed or a blessing in disguise??? Only next season will tell.

pat57 May 27, 2016 at 4:44 pm .

Oh well on the bright side at least I won’t be squirming during press conferences in case an ostrich pops its head up 🙂

Hitchens 60 May 27, 2016 at 4:45 pm .

Interviewed, deal done and appointed – whereas at Villa Park it’s a longer story than War and Peace!

Perhaps we’re haggling over luncheon vouchers!

pat57 May 27, 2016 at 4:50 pm .

@H60

It’s my guess that RDM is more or less already appointed and its just awaiting the formalities of Dr. Xia passing the tests.

Then again what do I know!

giddyvillan May 27, 2016 at 5:11 pm .

That’s what I’m thinking pat it’ll be a double announcement.

nath May 27, 2016 at 5:25 pm .

5 months or longer without manager, i was expecting a top appointment, new owner making a statement of intent. but i feel a little underwhelmed with the manager of choice.

the thing i don’t get is ~we need a good restructuring, the squad of players, our style of play. so employing a manager with past experience of building clubs, from nothing but ashes was needed. correct me if i am wrong. but chelsea wasn’t broken like villa are. wba ok they suffered a relegation, but they again wasn’t in need of a total rebuild. even the mk dons the team was already in place by ince

i will get behind the club manager and players, but i think after the time it took to come to such decision i expected them to appoint the correct manager and i don’t believe they have

pat57 May 27, 2016 at 5:28 pm .

@Nath

No-one’s been actually been appointed yet!

nath May 27, 2016 at 5:34 pm .

1/20 and 1/10 its a foregone conclusion i would be very surprised if the bookmakers where that wrong.

pat57 May 27, 2016 at 5:39 pm .

You never know they might be waiting for the Champions League final to see if Zidane or Simeone get the sack afterwards 🙂

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 27, 2016 at 8:02 pm .

Dr X is another rubbish owner Mark my words he will be no better than Lerner! Already he is proving how incompetent he is overlooking Pearson for Di Matteo or another Blues reject!!

giddyvillan May 27, 2016 at 5:41 pm .

Nath I’m still holding out for Bruce it’ll be his supposedly final game tomorrow you never know mate that obese lady ain’t singing yet

nath May 27, 2016 at 5:51 pm .

i haven’t everything against di matteo, but if not pearson and i would go for bruce like you said 🙂 i am afraid di matteo shouldn’t be in the list. looking further into his past he was snubbed by the riffraff in blue. i think the owner is leaning towards di matteo cause he won champs league with chelsea anybody could manage that. the players won the cup nothing to do with his guidance. bruce has run hull well on shoestring budgets and improved um 🙂

Hitchens 60 May 27, 2016 at 7:56 pm .

With you on this one Nath. Bruce for me over Di Matteo whose CV is built on teams constructed by better managers than he is. Tony Barton won the European Cup with Sir Ron’s team and methods (no disrespect towards Barton) but ultimately he was never the manager Ron was.

DM has never spent more than one complete season with any club – why is that and he has never had to rebuild – not just a football team – but a whole club ethos. Does he have the management skills to deal with the likes of Flabby, Lescott, Richards, Guzan et al? Perhaps he’ll persuade N’Zog to stay and sit on his backside for another few years!

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 27, 2016 at 8:00 pm .

Hate Bruce with a passion horrible blue nose scum. I have a mate who’s had a nasty experience from him first hand horrible bloke. He is a a better manager than Di Potato but we missed out big time not getting Pearson. Dr X is just as crap as Lerner in picking managers. Club will struggle to stay up next year shit manager and sane shit players still here!

DSVilla May 27, 2016 at 9:19 pm .

My own personal experience of Bruce was in the crowds leaving the stadium after England lost to France in Portugal at Euro 2004. Apart from defending Heskey (who he subsequently brought to Blues) he seemed pretty grounded and not self important. Blues connection I really don’t give a toss about. Di Matteo would not be my choice but it’s not my money or choice. To be honest there are not many candidates that are realistic prospects as far as I can see.

Andrew May 28, 2016 at 2:47 am .

So the guy who claimed people only hated McLeish because he was a bluenose, is now hating Bruce because he’s a bluenose… Wow Oohah, hypocrisy’s never a good thing.

You also seem to have a lot of mates who have had a hell of a lot of bad experiences with football. Maybe they should stay away from it?

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 28, 2016 at 5:12 pm .

Fair point but I don’t hate him because he is a blue nose all though that dosnt help. But don’t rate him as a manager and like you say he did a very bad thing to a good friend of mine if you knew the full story you would agree with me. Unfortunately I’m not allowed to say so up to u whether u believe me

KentNielsen77 May 27, 2016 at 8:34 pm .

Slight aside, but how sad to see Delph is on the standby list and therefore unlikely to go to the Euros. Arsehole.

little8 May 27, 2016 at 11:45 pm .

Di Potato how the fuck could he inspire anyone ,hes fuckin boring.

OohAhPaulMcGrath May 28, 2016 at 1:36 am .

Exactly he’s got a potato brain