The media don’t have a clue who the manager will be. Nor do I.

Xia money

After the Mail on Sunday’s report, where they seemed fairly happy that Dr Tony is pretty much what he says he is after flashing that big bank certificate worth around £430 million, it seems trying to find any proper dirt on our new owner is proving fruitless.
For balance, I have to say though, that I read something elsewhere that suggested the bank certificate was a forgery (with nothing to back it up).
Hmm ok, so surely they just bung someone who works at the bank a £100 and they’d soon know the truth, wouldn’t they?
Or maybe not, if Xia is as connected as I suspect he is.

So the media have now moved onto who our next manager is going to be and I have to say this is making me laugh.

The BBC have said David Moyes has basically turned us down, which is a shame if I look at myself as an average Villa fan, as he was by far the favourite, something the recent poll on here agreed with.
But while I think he’s ok, he wouldn’t be my choice for where we are now. Maybe if we get back into the Prem, but not now.
To be honest, I don’t think he was ever in the running anyway.

And then there’s Di Matteo.
He’s talking to Lazio, so Villa have no chance.
But now he’s the favourite again, because we’re having second talks and the odds are plummeting.
Do me a favour.

So, the latest is, it comes down to Steve Bruce or Nigel Pearson; both with their own merits.

Except my opinion says that if anyone even remotely or recently connected with the club knows anything about our recent history and the fans’ perception of Big Feck, with his nose relegation link, Bruce is a total non-starter.
Regardless of Lerner’s statement that “he’d do it all again”, I’d bet he doesn’t include McLeish’s appointment in that.

Which only leaves Nigel Pearson.
Except Holis’ statement where he commented about “the mature” thinking of his proposed candidate has me confused, as it suggests someone quite young.

Don’t forget though, the hint was that the deal was basically done and it’s all about the waiting.
And wasn’t this around the time Holis was supposed to have been seen meeting Pearson in a Warwickshire pub? (I never did see the source of that one).

So it now comes down to a choice of Pearson and some young buck who we don’t know about.
After the disaster Remi Garde proved to be? I seriously doubt the latter will be the case.

Now I’m struggling, apart from Martinez or Dyche as maybe the young ones.

In other words, I’m as clueless as the media.

I’m still sticking with Pearson.
But I wonder what Louis Van Gaal is up too next?

If Tony Xia is true to his word (and I think he needs to be, if he wants to re-affirm his credibility) we’ll know who our manager is by the end of the week.
Because if this appointment drags out, the media will be all over it and any decisiveness he demonstrated in his interviews will be torn to pieces, as it seems the media want the whole thing to fail before it’s even started.

Which all wants me to see things happen and our new owner prove them wrong.
Because I think the media see our new owner as maybe a serious threat to the usual headline clubs.
If he doesn’t prove to be a Carson Yeung Mk 11, that is.

Dr Xia said he feels under pressure.
Well, here’s the first real tester, fella, is my thought.
Please don’t blow it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Ardent Villain May 24, 2016 at 12:17 pm . Reply

Not surprised that Moyes ‘turned us down’ – I never thought that he had the stomach for a Championship campaign. I think a lot of Premier League managers would look at the prospect of a 46-game league season with horror – and that’s even without the burden of having to re-build a completely broken squad at the same time. Then there’s going to be the perception that Villa fans will expect an instant return to the PL. Pressure? No thanks.

Anyway, once the Everton position came up for grabs again, it was always likely that he’d try to go back there…

2. Astonished Villain May 24, 2016 at 3:51 pm . Reply

Some real PR disasters and credibility issues going on – why are statements coming out that Moyes has been offered role when the club should be running a discrete and professional process? Also, why would any wealthy individual feel as though he has to prove he’s got money in the bank – bit of a desperate ploy by flashing a bank statement. With China’s credit bubble you have to wonder if all the funds are borrowed – what happens when the credit dries up?

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 25, 2016 at 12:18 am . Reply

Like I said earlier something very dodgy about this imo

3. Jaymo83 May 24, 2016 at 3:56 pm . Reply

As I said on a previous post I’m totally convinced Steve Bruce will be the new boss. It would explain the time scale as Hull have the play off final and apparently he wants to leave regardless of whether they go up, still has a home in the midlands and wants the villa job.

I’ve got no problem with him short term, I couldn’t care less if he was at the blues – he has experience of the division, a record of getting teams up and then keeping them there. I think he’d be a safe pair of hands and could build a squad for someone to take over and develop in a couple of years. UTV!

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 25, 2016 at 12:18 am . Reply

Pearson has experience too can’t stand potato head.

4. Ardent Villain May 24, 2016 at 3:59 pm . Reply

See that B’ham Mail reporting that Paddy Riley about to be shown the out-door – and Little asked to stay on.

5. marvin May 24, 2016 at 4:06 pm . Reply

Much like the rest of this season this whole takeover/new manager business is a hot mess and the FA has only begun it’s testing. I hope for the soul of the club the powers that be don’t cut corners, but what worries me the most is while this is all going on what happens when players start demanding moves and club starts selling talent? Who is selling them? Surely not the absentee manager, absentee board, or absentee owner – we are in limbo and I fear things could get a lot worse in the upcoming month if things are not confirmed one way or another.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 25, 2016 at 12:17 am . Reply

Agree I think we’ve gone from the frying pan into the fire

6. nath May 24, 2016 at 5:28 pm . Reply

anybody want Yorke as manager, i bet john Gregory would rather shoot him before seeing him in hot-seat lmao.seriously i have football management experience on the commodore 64 days iam sure i could sort this mess out.

1. Ardent Villain May 24, 2016 at 9:20 pm . Reply

If I read his comments in the B’ham Mail correctly, Yorke seemed surprised that nobody at the club had come calling for him…
      Arrogant twat!

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 25, 2016 at 12:16 am . Reply

Yorke what a joke. Almost as bad as Giggs and Neville

7. nath May 24, 2016 at 8:41 pm . Reply

don’t want to panic you guys, but Roberto Martinez odds have dropped dramatically from 25’s to 7/1 ~8~1 from 2 firms

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 25, 2016 at 12:15 am . Reply

Disgraceful and he seriously thinks we will become great again with that twat in charge. Come back Lerner all is forgiven!

8. Dave.C May 24, 2016 at 8:46 pm . Reply

I’d have Martinez over Di Matteo anyday.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 25, 2016 at 12:14 am . Reply

Id have badger over Both of them 🙂

1. Hitchens 60 May 25, 2016 at 6:46 am . Reply

When’s your interview OohAh?