Villa 1- 2 Brighton; Who are you going to blame?

I’ve had to have a bit of a break away from the computer so I could compose my thoughts, as I’m frankly fuming.
We had loads of the play and created lots of chances, but still lost it quite straightforwardly.

I keep seeing it written that our defence is good, but I’m sorry, I just don’t see it in the slightest.
It’s not like they were called into action that much, but when they were, did they ever convince you?
They certainly didn’t me and more than once it was a good thing Martinez was alert and came off his line early.
I can’t pick one defender out in particular, but we just seem majorly lacking as a unit.
Pushing up as high as we did doesn’t help matters, but it’s almost like we totally forget that defending is part of the game.
Brighton hadn’t shown any hint of a threat before they scored and that says everything to me.

There was quite a lot that went on in the game, with Lamptey, who looked quite useful, getting sent off and Maupay, who probably winds players up as well as anyone I’ve seen for years not getting sent off, to Targett petulantly fouling and also lucky to not not go off. It was a bit of a shame really, as I didn’t feel it was a nasty game.

But the big one has to be the Penalty that wasn’t. Or was, depending on how you saw it.
I’ll tell you now, I saw it live and thought it wasn’t a penalty.
In fact, in a game where Trez looked like he couldn’t hit a cow’s backside with a banjo, I was going to give him move of the game if we’d have been given it.
I saw it replayed about ten times. And it still isn’t a penalty for me.
That’s going to be contentious to say the least, but it’s how I saw it.

Yes, there was contact. No doubt about it.
But I can’t get away from the fact that I thought Trez set himself up for it.
Watch his foot and he’s planted the front of it, to pull himself forward after he’d already lost control of the ball.
And it’s that last bit that does it for me.

I know. They get given all the time. But I think when they do, they’re 100% wrong.
I don’t see how you can be fouled when you’ve lost control of the ball.
If there’s intent, fair enough, that’s a penalty. But otherwise, if you haven’t deprived the player of a chance, no way.

I know the argument is that there was contact.
But I’d just say look at that as a Brighton fan and how would you have felt?
Again, I can see the argument being “I know what you mean, but there was contact and that’s enough”.
To which I’d say it’s a contact sport, simple.
Or is it?
Regardless, I very much suspect I’ll be in the minority, mostly because that’s just how it’s been for years. It still doesn’t make it right for me, even if we know the usual suspects will always get that type of call.

Anyway, it’s not that big a deal to me really.
Brighton did enough to win and our defence didn’t do enough when required.

I can pick flies with individual performances, but there was no-one particularly bad and many things can maybe be excused by tiredness.

Ultimately though, Brighton took their chances and we didn’t.
And that says it all.
I’m still fuming though.
I know we don’t have a right to beat anyone.
But when you beat Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester, these results just look so, so stupid.

Oh well.
West Ham away next, where we’ll hopefully do better.

nath November 21, 2020 at 9:07 pm . Reply

wba awarded penalty but its shin to shin but the defender hits ball first lol var decision

nath November 21, 2020 at 9:13 pm . Reply

i watched this pen and its a 100% shin on shin and it was over turned lmao all the experts say this was pen and var asked the ref to come to touchline like the villa game and the referee overturned his over decision just like what happened to villa. cuckoo what is a pen nowadays nobody knows even var and referee and former players and so called experts

i wonder if the pen was for manure would ref have changed his mind. as i type utd get a pen lmao

nath November 21, 2020 at 9:14 pm . Reply

this pen should be over turned its a arm ball but he isnt looking at the ball lol but its for man utd fregie in var

nath November 21, 2020 at 9:16 pm . Reply

robinson saves the penalty, but utd get another chance take two cause they are not allowed to miss. its a goal manure finally scored

cheating f ookers

Holte66 November 21, 2020 at 9:12 pm . Reply

Karma for Albion fans who took the piss out of our decision

Holte66 November 21, 2020 at 9:13 pm . Reply

Got to say that Albion fans will be even more pissed than us

Tom November 21, 2020 at 9:34 pm . Reply

Sorry but the game has just gone stupid.
    Stupid VAR, keeper of line, hand balls, it just goes on and on and on!!
    I’m turning my head to NFL.

Holte66 November 21, 2020 at 10:05 pm . Reply

Has VAR improved the game or made it worse? I think most fans would be happy if it was scrapped. Let’s go back to the officials making the final calls without the ridiculous delays.

nath November 21, 2020 at 10:09 pm . Reply

nobody is arguing just discussing / debating. standards of refereeing is garbage villa and wba both mugged. referee awards pen in both games. var can not see any mistakes. referees asked to make their own mind up using monitor, in both games they decided to overturn their own original decisions. you couldn’t make this shit up.

they got a referee on bt now saying in both games both were pens and var and referee got them both wrong

VillaAwayInDiv3 November 21, 2020 at 10:24 pm . Reply

Just about to find out if Shearer and Wright Wright Wright give us the pen….lol

nath November 21, 2020 at 10:31 pm . Reply

Solskjaer just admitted the villa pen was probably a pen and the wba might have been as well, but that’s my take he said

Mark November 21, 2020 at 11:00 pm . Reply

I personally think that Tyrone Mings likes to ‘Lord it up’ when he comes back after playing for his country.
    Perfect example being the first goal. Mings was, seconds before up front for a set piece and remained up front where he had a chance of a shot but declined it. Then the ball was moved forward by Brighton and Mings was caught, still in the Brighton half,and was found wanting in trying to catch up with Welbeck who seems to always score against us, despite him being one of the most overrated strikers to have played in the Premier League.
    It is really a case of so many false dawns for us, two steps forward and one step back. We appear to be masters of our own downfall, with the mistakes that we make. Relying on Grealish too much showed itself today, big time. It was just like how we played for most of last season, which is concerning. Our strength, in depth is another worry, or lack of it, to be precise.
    We seriously need to sort out which Aston Villa is going to turn up each week.
    I would take a top ten finish now, given the chance.
    Games like Brighton at home ending in defeat unfortunately undo all the excellent work in the victories over Liverpool, Leicester and Arsenal.
    I still remain optimistic but believe that we are in for an unpredictable few months, and that is nothing to do with the Pandemic.

Benno November 22, 2020 at 3:16 am . Reply

I think fatigue was a huge problem in this game. Grealish, McGinn and Luiz were far from their best, and you cant really blame them. The main issue we have is lack of quality in the squad. Smith probably knew it would be a big ask for some of them today, but we have nobody of similar quality to come in.

Although, having said that, what the hell were we doing on the first goal??!!

We will turn over West Ham next week and all will be good with the world again!

nath November 22, 2020 at 6:54 am . Reply

another incident in the wba utd game which infuriates me. think back to villa utd cup final many years ago. Vidić is not sent off for being last man and bringing down a flying gabby, end of the matxh phi dowd says he made a honest mistake but hes beloved utd win the cup. roll on years var is brought in to stop blatant errors. but the pen that utd won yesterday had a foul in the build up to the hand ball.

first off i don’t believe that was hand ball, defender was so close to the player who crosses, then he instinctively turned his back. his arms are natural and not our wide to block anything. b/s decision. but just before this ball is crossed and hits arm. fred goes completely through a wba player to win the ball to start the play in the lead up to the hand ball.

var has two officials to see such incidents, hhow the hell did this get overlooked . also referee and two linemen missed it too. i think dowd cheated villa years ago cause he was a utd supporter and still to this day these refs and var officials have their favourites. lets face it utd are most of these ppl favourites. how else can you explain these blatant fouls being overlooked and villa pen gets overturned cause a defender seems to marginally touch the ball.

you might as well employ the monkeys that cant hear or see fouls for var / all this new tech is not working just employing two more idiots to cheat the paying customers. the same b/s still happening, utd get pens and the oppositions need to be shot inside the box to get a sniff. rant over i am gonna stop watching other games as this sort of b/s refereeing spoils the fun. its like reading or watching a film but somebody steals the last chapter. you will never find out what should have really happened and you lost a hour watching for nothing.