Villa 1- 2 Brighton; Who are you going to blame?

I’ve had to have a bit of a break away from the computer so I could compose my thoughts, as I’m frankly fuming.
We had loads of the play and created lots of chances, but still lost it quite straightforwardly.

I keep seeing it written that our defence is good, but I’m sorry, I just don’t see it in the slightest.
It’s not like they were called into action that much, but when they were, did they ever convince you?
They certainly didn’t me and more than once it was a good thing Martinez was alert and came off his line early.
I can’t pick one defender out in particular, but we just seem majorly lacking as a unit.
Pushing up as high as we did doesn’t help matters, but it’s almost like we totally forget that defending is part of the game.
Brighton hadn’t shown any hint of a threat before they scored and that says everything to me.

There was quite a lot that went on in the game, with Lamptey, who looked quite useful, getting sent off and Maupay, who probably winds players up as well as anyone I’ve seen for years not getting sent off, to Targett petulantly fouling and also lucky to not not go off. It was a bit of a shame really, as I didn’t feel it was a nasty game.

But the big one has to be the Penalty that wasn’t. Or was, depending on how you saw it.
I’ll tell you now, I saw it live and thought it wasn’t a penalty.
In fact, in a game where Trez looked like he couldn’t hit a cow’s backside with a banjo, I was going to give him move of the game if we’d have been given it.
I saw it replayed about ten times. And it still isn’t a penalty for me.
That’s going to be contentious to say the least, but it’s how I saw it.

Yes, there was contact. No doubt about it.
But I can’t get away from the fact that I thought Trez set himself up for it.
Watch his foot and he’s planted the front of it, to pull himself forward after he’d already lost control of the ball.
And it’s that last bit that does it for me.

I know. They get given all the time. But I think when they do, they’re 100% wrong.
I don’t see how you can be fouled when you’ve lost control of the ball.
If there’s intent, fair enough, that’s a penalty. But otherwise, if you haven’t deprived the player of a chance, no way.

I know the argument is that there was contact.
But I’d just say look at that as a Brighton fan and how would you have felt?
Again, I can see the argument being “I know what you mean, but there was contact and that’s enough”.
To which I’d say it’s a contact sport, simple.
Or is it?
Regardless, I very much suspect I’ll be in the minority, mostly because that’s just how it’s been for years. It still doesn’t make it right for me, even if we know the usual suspects will always get that type of call.

Anyway, it’s not that big a deal to me really.
Brighton did enough to win and our defence didn’t do enough when required.

I can pick flies with individual performances, but there was no-one particularly bad and many things can maybe be excused by tiredness.

Ultimately though, Brighton took their chances and we didn’t.
And that says it all.
I’m still fuming though.
I know we don’t have a right to beat anyone.
But when you beat Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester, these results just look so, so stupid.

Oh well.
West Ham away next, where we’ll hopefully do better.

nath November 28, 2020 at 2:39 pm .

brighton benefit again with a penalty decision. i still think villa should have got that pen last week. now they get a pen in a not too dissimilar to ours. but they got the decision we never,

i thought brighton did wel against pool. was unlucky not to be in lead first half, got lucky at end with pen decision, but i like how they play, we could learn a thing or two on playing out from the back from brighton, they are all comfortable on the ball and they are great at playing out under pressure.

nath November 28, 2020 at 2:48 pm .

guys you should watch klopps interview omg he was really on one. very upset about the 12.30 ko 5 subs being asked about the dodgy decisions and milner injury lol its a great laugh i mean great watch

nath November 28, 2020 at 3:59 pm .

burnley look to be in real trouble this season. they are not the same team that used to be hard to play against. city played constantly through them first half and they are not out of first gear. i worry of them this season

nath November 28, 2020 at 5:02 pm .

city won comfortably 5 nil should have been greater. but looking at table we are still above city and double goal difference in our favour lol we are a different beast this season. last game was hard cause our players had been away on international duty most had 3 games and we only had 1 day to prepare. yes all clubs had this problem but we are a small squad and losing barkley was tough to take. another factor was brighton were tough and if you watch their game today with pool. you can see they are a match for anybody. great at the back playing out they draw you in and hit you committing men to the press. they did the same to pool albeit not with same finishes.

bring on the hammers and that will be a tough game but iam confident we will be better without the ball this time.grealish moves inside and trez and traore wide. trez had another good game last week but still gets bad responses from our fans. yes he missed the chances but he offers loads, he is getting better and better

Holte66 November 28, 2020 at 7:22 pm .

I’m totally against 5 subs. To be honest, I don’t think having one substitute helps Villa.
    Just watching Leeds beating Everton and as much as I hate to say it, they are a better team than us.

nath November 29, 2020 at 9:02 am .

leeds are a good team holte, before the game with them i knew this. but i fancied us that night. i also knew the right tactic to beat them, but if i were manager i would have done the same thing as smith. but i knew their achilles heel is a team that doesnt go toe to toe as we tried. sit deeper and invite them to attack. but you leave three pacey forwards to attack on the quick counters around the halfway line. its a formula which leeds struggle with. leciester and palace both won really easy against them.

the moral of this is they are great if you play them at their game. but show them a game were you don’t allow them to get behind you or no space to counter in. but every time you turn the ball over you are going long into a empty half with three pacey counter attackers. this fooks um up they start stretching the team. leaving four defenders back and this affects their play with the ball.

i watched leeds yesterday they play same way every week, like sheff utd last season most clubs do not approach the game with them in the correct way. clubs are thinking they cant keep this up and they try to match them and hope they run out of stream. i did the same thing for villa game. they support each other really well. say they are attacking down the left they have like 5 players there to create the overlap. but they quickly return to their shape. they are attacking with 10 and defending with the same number. in every game i seen them out played everyone, except the teams that do not engage their tactics, teams that denied them the space to counter or space in behind um and the teams that got brave and left three on halfway line, ready to hurt leeds on the counter.

Gerry November 30, 2020 at 2:50 pm .

With Covid problems at Newcastle could we fall even further behind with our fixtures. Are there really matchdays anymore?