Villa 1 – 2 Stoke; We’re in serious trouble.

The only place I could get to see the game today was in a bar that showed all the Prem games at the same time, which was dominated by the Man Utd game’s commentary being blasted in our ears.
Still, you can’t have everything and I was consoled by the fact that there was an excellent Scandinavian showing of Villa fans. I met a chap from just up the road from me too, as an extra bonus.

I was in fine fettle from the off and fully expected us to take the points, with the players wound up and trying to impress the new manager.

What a mistake that was.

I’m not going to go into it too much, but I thought we were frankly awful against a Stoke side who were frankly poor too.

Sherwood dropped Cleverley and Westwood, something I couldn’t really argue with, but also started Gabby, which I didn’t agree with.
After today, it’ll be interesting if Gabby starts the next game.

Whatever, I don’t need to tell you what happened.
We were simply shocking.
Maybe someone can tell me what the gameplan was, because I just don’t have a clue.
I couldn’t see what we were trying to do, as I find that impossible when you are constantly giving the ball away, as we did throughout the game.
This was summed up quite early on, when Guzan had a free kick outside the area and just hoofed it straight out for a throw.
It’s just beyond pathetic and this sort of thing shouldn’t be happening from supposed Premier league players.

Perhaps it’s a lack of confidence.
I suspect though, it’s more than that and Sherwood has a massive task on his hands.

In short, we threw away 3 points against a decidedly average team that were in poor shape because of injuries.

What chance will we have against the top teams or even those around us who are willing to fight?

Which brings me onto that “fight” part of the side.
I didn’t see any of it today.
And that tells me we’re in serious trouble.

The only consolations at the end of the game were that Chelsea drew to Burnley and Utd lost, much to the dismay of the glory hunters who were in the bar.
Perhaps there is some justice after all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Saddened February 21, 2015 at 10:36 pm . Reply

Watched it in Valencia with a few Valencia fans, they asked two important questions…. Who is this gabby Ambonlo and why is vlaar on the pitch he is dangerous…. It was 1-1 all day until the cart horse put his stilts in…. TS has a job on his hands

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath February 22, 2015 at 2:04 am . Reply

Agree iv been slated for ages in my criticism for Vlaar but now people are finally waking up to smell the coffee

1. saddened February 22, 2015 at 9:47 am . Reply

Vlaar is such a weak link, far too slow and far too clumsy – it was a draw all over and something to kick off from……But still think we will not be relegated, all the game has done is made TS realise who he can rely on and made him realise there are a few who can be ‘on fire’ in training but on the pitch don’t give a stuff !

2. #HELENIUS February 21, 2015 at 10:51 pm . Reply

I notice Martin Atkinson’s trying his best to see us down!! Ha. Had a stinker

3. Bum Bum February 21, 2015 at 11:17 pm . Reply

The only Premier League team not to win in 2015. Great.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath February 22, 2015 at 2:05 am . Reply

Another unwanted record by Sherwood this time

1. Bum Bum February 22, 2015 at 8:51 am . Reply

Lol!

4. Colonius81 February 21, 2015 at 11:55 pm . Reply

Ya I have to say, I was encouraged by the opening 20 mins but then we just seemed to lose all cohesion and purpose, just seemed piss about with the ball, lose it a lot, hoof it a lot and while you could see we were clearly committing more men forward, it looked like we scored as a coincidence more than anything.
    I didn’t think stoke were great at all, overall i has accepted this game for 2 poor teams under performing and seeing out a draw. then Vlaar pressed the self destruct button.
    well at least TS won’t have to drop him, he has done that himself for a game with his suspension for a game.
    Ya, we are exactly where we were before this game, nothing confirmed but all indicators pointing towards the drop ….until proven otherwise. We need a major course correction.
    and its still possible. But we will have to wait and see if it happens.

I am pretty sure 37 points will be safety this year. 15 more to go from a possible 36.

5. pat57 February 21, 2015 at 11:57 pm . Reply

We’re doomed Mr. Mainwaring….but not quite yet!

Ditch the non-performers and bring some youngsters in. At worst they’ll be playing next year if we go down and the drones f*** off.

Play for survival but keep an eye on the players we might need next year.