Villa 1 – 1 Southampton; A decent point

I don’t know what to make of that game.
Am I the only person who felt it was like watching a training session, for the vast part?

I expected Southampton to really bring it onto us, but it just felt like watching a game of Villa V Villa, where the opposition, while they had plenty of possession, quite simply offered nothing, with really poor crossing and no threat whatsoever.

I know what you optimists are going to think when I say this ie “the other side are always poor when we get something”.

But the truth is Southampton were poor.
They never really got going at all until the last ten minutes or so, which was about the only time I thought “ah, we’re watching a premier league game, after all”.

What a poor indictment of the game, when the team that are second in the league looked as decidedly average as us.

But then, as is always possible, perhaps I read it wrong and we played really well?

In fairness, Clark and Okore did well for me, as did Hutton, who marshalled Bertrand well.
But I’m hard pushed to say much about the rest of the side, to be honest. I forgot Westwood was playing until about the 20th minute; likewise Weimann until about the 35th.
As for N’Zogbia, the less said, the better. His substitution was entirely correct, regardless of who came on in his place.
I think it’s fair to say anyone else not mentioned was decidedly average at best.

At the end of the day, Gabby scored with our one and only tactic of hitting on the break. He took it as well as I’d expect after some hesitancy on Forster’s part.
And then, as I expected, Southampton stepped it up a bit and got the equaliser.

I’ll leave the analysis to those who do it miles better than me, but the long and short of it is that we got a point, where I never thought it was possible.

You can’t knock that and I’m really happy.
Well, as happy as you can be with a point at home, against a club that ought to be at least a bit below us.
The low light?
Southampton fans singing “who are you?” when they equalised.
The embarrassment of it all.

Crowdwatch: Subdued for much of the game.

Lambertout rating: 3, after us getting a rare point.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Hitchens 60 November 25, 2014 at 11:46 am . Reply

Hi Guys Still in the sunshine (that’s when it’s not pi**ing down!!). Game was on here but didn’t get to see much due to demolition of large rum bottle. Good to see Okore getting a run out and sounds like he played well.

1. BWS November 25, 2014 at 11:56 am . Reply

H60 shocking as this may sound the guy can actually play! He looks for a pass out of defence!

1. Bill Pearson November 25, 2014 at 12:12 pm . Reply

Thats something i noticed BWS , that part of the game has been missing.he sent some nice balls forward to players ,but players lost them in tackles.

1. BWS November 25, 2014 at 12:21 pm . Reply

He looks like he’s got a footy head on him Bill, looks up, not scared to carry the ball forward and tries to find a pass but if I’m seeing it then how comes Lambert aint? He sees him everyday at bmh ffs.

2. DSVilla November 25, 2014 at 12:30 pm . Reply

It’s a tough life Hitchens! Thought Okore played well. It is strange that he hasn’t played before. The only slight worry is he seems a bit impetuous and commits himself early. That’s great when it comes off, as it did last night. Promising though. Bill’s point is spot on though. Gabby, Weimann and CNZ are pretty useless at holding the ball up. That means we lose the ball so quickly the midfield either can’t get forward or probably choose not to as they need to defend. No wonder our possession stats are so awful.

2. Bill Pearson November 25, 2014 at 12:44 pm . Reply

well that Lambert is it not, my asking question at the minute why has he not player the young lad? as for Sanchez, well speaks for itself, carring to much weight and slow to react.Clarke did well, Hutton did his job, it took Villa a long time to see that long pass to the wings but corrected second half, BWS we do have players problem is believing in themselves. one day it might click.

1. BWS November 25, 2014 at 1:18 pm . Reply

Your right Bill we do have the players and your right about the hold up play from the forwards, that’s why imo he brought on Bent last night but the problem is the fella couldn’t hold up a a paper hanky!

1. Bill Pearson November 25, 2014 at 1:24 pm . Reply

BWS, 🙂 🙂 :-*

1. GIDDYVILLAN November 25, 2014 at 1:51 pm . Reply

BWS cheers for that good read & spot on,it stands out a mile what lerners up to.I hope the hierarchy read this WE ALL KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.

1. Bum Bum November 25, 2014 at 11:03 pm . Reply

It’s not just Lerner, but all the owners. Beware the warning about a few more Yank owners coming in and removing relegation form the game to protect their investments, just like the NFL. THE ONLY WAY FORWARD IS TO BOYCOTT ALL HOME GAMES.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath November 26, 2014 at 1:06 am . Reply

Lerner dosnt care if we boycott games he has his sky money which is literally millions more than us fans could ever give

3. UTV November 25, 2014 at 4:25 pm . Reply

To be fair it was probably what “Bill Pearson told you so” has said all along, just worded it differently.

4. Andrew November 25, 2014 at 6:59 pm . Reply

Darren Bent to Brighton, recall of Robinson? Interesting if this is all true. Seems like a punishment for Bent to be going on loan now.

5. fastjet81 November 25, 2014 at 11:35 pm . Reply

Still struggling to understand why Bent came on. Makes even less sense if this Brighton move was in the offing. Agree with previous comments in that we’re better than the position we currently occupy. Too many square pegs in round holes and kick and rush football for my liking though.

Media also defending Lambert (under constraints/purse strings tightened). Adrian Durham and Goughy on Talksport were suggesting that we need 6 points at least from next 4 games – Burnley, Palace, Leicester, West Brom. Maybe if we don’t get that amount and the continual drop in attendance at VP, others will stand up and take notice.

December is definitely going to be the defining month of our season. Either a glimmer of hope for new year or another nail biting, squeaky bum time.