Tommy Elphick; A good first signing, POLL

Tommy10

The signing’s confirmed then and having read the stories about the three-year deal, I have to say I’m very encouraged.
Everything seems to be backing up what we thought, in that he’s a good leader and it’s always pleasing when the previous employer talks about how he was a model professional. We can’t get enough of those types, after all, it would seem.
Even better, was the fact that he cut his honeymoon short, which I thought was a bit above and beyond the expected.
I mean, there’s no way the club would have ordered him to do that at risk of the deal falling through; imagine if that got out to the press, for example.

Elphick made a great statement too, talking about how it was an easy decision coming to the Villa;

“It’s obviously what gives us our living. When a club come calling like Villa it’s the least you can do to give up five days of your honeymoon.
I just think as soon as you hear the name Aston Villa…
Obviously it’s not been such a good time recently but when you see what they’ve done over the summer with the new owner and new manager I didn’t take much convincing at all.
I’m absolutely delighted. It didn’t actually take long. As soon as I heard about Villa’s interest it’s something that turned my head straight away.
To be able to come here and represent such a great club with such great history is going to be a real honour for me.”

And while you often hear this sort of stuff from newly signed players, it just seems genuinely sincere for some reason.
He comes across as a really down to earth type, whose feet are still planted firmly on the ground. Again the sort we need more of.

All I know is he must have a very understanding wife!

I’ve noticed a few “dislikes” in the previous comments about Elphick, but have to confess I’m perplexed as to why that should be. What’s not to like about this signing?

Hence we need a vote, which might fish out what some of us don’t like about the idea of signing him.
For clarity, I’ve seen that he isn’t the quickest of defenders, but I don’t see that as so much of a problem in the Championship.

1. OriginalLondonLion June 27, 2016 at 11:56 pm . Reply

Its fortunate we have RDM sorted out as manager because Woy, will be available from tomorrow. Another dodgy keeper might also be looking for the chance to replace ours and he can do something Guzan can’t. Shampoo adverts.

2. Andrew June 28, 2016 at 4:52 am . Reply

Apparently we’re set to sign a Costa Rica International Midfielder who plays in France, who’s team got relegated from Ligue 1. Apparently similar to Gana defensively, a brute. Seen him a few times Internationally and he looks decent. Never in league play though.

3. pat57 June 29, 2016 at 7:54 am . Reply

Reports that Villa are interested in signing Ricky Lambert. Not sure what I make of that.

Could be okay in the Championship especially as an impact sub.

Otherwise not much happening is there?

Roll on Aug 7 – actually can’t wait for the new season to start which makes a change

UTV

1. Hitchens 60 June 29, 2016 at 11:04 am . Reply

Optimistic – yes but not getting overly excited until I see what RDM does in the transfer market – out and in.

Ricky Lambert – OK if we are also going for someone like McCormack to iPad the line. Hope that Hepburn-Murphy steps up this season as really highly rated young player. Also Grealish has to contribute more.

1. Hitchens 60 June 29, 2016 at 11:05 am . Reply

*lead the line – predictive text argh

4. Dave67 June 29, 2016 at 12:23 pm . Reply

Gayle having a medical at Newcastle . McCormack might be of their radar now.

5. Stubbs June 29, 2016 at 4:38 pm . Reply

Doesn’t matter who we sign, we have the wrong manager in place.

1. Dave67 June 29, 2016 at 6:09 pm . Reply

Only time will tell if he is the right man or not. He is here now so let’s give him our support .

1. Stubbs June 29, 2016 at 6:59 pm . Reply

I have every intention of supporting him, why wouldn’t I?

6. nath June 29, 2016 at 7:50 pm . Reply

gutted we are missing out on gayle, but that said, he isnt worth 9mill that’s a price you pay for a established striker. transfer fees are crazy. rather have jon walters leading our front line. also like hitchens, Hepburn-Murphy i am expecting him to surprise our fans load, i really rate him and championship will not see him coming. he will break through this year for sure.