Tommy Elphick; A good first signing, POLL

Tommy10

The signing’s confirmed then and having read the stories about the three-year deal, I have to say I’m very encouraged.
Everything seems to be backing up what we thought, in that he’s a good leader and it’s always pleasing when the previous employer talks about how he was a model professional. We can’t get enough of those types, after all, it would seem.
Even better, was the fact that he cut his honeymoon short, which I thought was a bit above and beyond the expected.
I mean, there’s no way the club would have ordered him to do that at risk of the deal falling through; imagine if that got out to the press, for example.

Elphick made a great statement too, talking about how it was an easy decision coming to the Villa;

“It’s obviously what gives us our living. When a club come calling like Villa it’s the least you can do to give up five days of your honeymoon.
I just think as soon as you hear the name Aston Villa…
Obviously it’s not been such a good time recently but when you see what they’ve done over the summer with the new owner and new manager I didn’t take much convincing at all.
I’m absolutely delighted. It didn’t actually take long. As soon as I heard about Villa’s interest it’s something that turned my head straight away.
To be able to come here and represent such a great club with such great history is going to be a real honour for me.”

And while you often hear this sort of stuff from newly signed players, it just seems genuinely sincere for some reason.
He comes across as a really down to earth type, whose feet are still planted firmly on the ground. Again the sort we need more of.

All I know is he must have a very understanding wife!

I’ve noticed a few “dislikes” in the previous comments about Elphick, but have to confess I’m perplexed as to why that should be. What’s not to like about this signing?

Hence we need a vote, which might fish out what some of us don’t like about the idea of signing him.
For clarity, I’ve seen that he isn’t the quickest of defenders, but I don’t see that as so much of a problem in the Championship.

1. Andrew
    Andrew June 21, 2016 at 3:35 am .

Finally got some leadership in the back. Next to Clark, next to Okore, next to Toner. Think it’ll finally be good to have.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath June 21, 2016 at 9:35 am .

Hope Clarke has long gone

1. Andrew
        Andrew June 21, 2016 at 1:20 pm .

Solely because of one International game? One I’m gonna guess you didn’t even watch? Go back to his first game where he was class.

1. Guest
          Guest June 21, 2016 at 4:49 pm .

No Andrew, i’d imagine off the back of being total dog shit and far too error prone, one swallow and all that …

2. giddyvillan
          giddyvillan June 21, 2016 at 6:25 pm .

Bar amavi the rest of our defence was utterly SHITE, I must of missed the last season concerning Clarke.

1. Andrew
            Andrew June 21, 2016 at 11:37 pm .

You mean when Lescott and Richards together? probably.

2. giddyvillan
    giddyvillan June 21, 2016 at 6:18 am .

Rock on Tommy welcome, I hope he doesn’t get to comfortable on that physio table in the picture provided. πŸ˜€

3. pat57
    pat57 June 21, 2016 at 8:41 am .

Really good signing. A strong captain can be so vital. Just think of players like Keane, Terry and Morgan, it’s doubtful that their clubs would have achieved so much without their presence.

Welcome Tommy

UTV

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath June 21, 2016 at 9:35 am .

Bit small for a CH plus injury prone. We’ve enough injury defenders as it is!

1. pat57
        pat57 June 21, 2016 at 9:58 am .

@Oohaah

I was wondering who voted to say that it was a bad signing

Now I know πŸ™‚

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
          OohAhPaulMcGrath June 21, 2016 at 9:21 pm .

Ha ha you found me out

2. Andrew
        Andrew June 21, 2016 at 11:39 pm .

Look how many games he’s missed over the last 5-6 seasons, in fact I gave you the numbers… Only last season, where he suffered a freak long term injury, was his only bad season in terms of injuries. He’s not injury prone at all.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
          OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2016 at 9:16 am .

But he was last season and he’s not getting any younger

4. Dave67
    Dave67 June 21, 2016 at 3:53 pm .

I believe he is a leader something we have been missing for years.

1. Ardent Villain
      Ardent Villain June 21, 2016 at 4:37 pm .

He’s made the right noises so far about the club’s history/traditions.

[Just a shame those meant so little to the tossers last season…]

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath June 21, 2016 at 9:20 pm .

Don’t worry that will be knocked out of him by the losers he will be playing with

5. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson June 21, 2016 at 5:53 pm .

I often wonder what some Villa fans want, take Oohah, we sign a player and straight away hes crap, the very least hes better that what we have, no wonder player’s shy from us with fans like Oohah, its a start to build our team may it continue for me. Lets welcome any player that seeks to come and play for our great club Aston Villa , Oohah give the new coach, manager, and players a chance. PLEASE.

1. giddyvillan
      giddyvillan June 21, 2016 at 6:27 pm .

Bill as someone posted awhile ago,if Ooha found a tenner in the street he’d moan it weren’t twenty.

1. giddyvillan
        giddyvillan June 21, 2016 at 6:29 pm .

Ps I do find some of his posts entertaining to say the least,Ooha cheer up ffs

1. Bill Pearson
          Bill Pearson June 21, 2016 at 6:43 pm .

I do Giddy but he kills enthusiasm, any chanc we sign that Michael McGovern what saves he’s made for Ireland.

1. nath
            nath June 21, 2016 at 7:44 pm .

very entertaining posts tonight :))

well said bill, i have wondered the same thing regarding what fans expect. also agree with the northern ireland goalie. free transfer he had a good game against the germans.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath
          OohAhPaulMcGrath June 21, 2016 at 9:18 pm .

No I like being miserable πŸ˜“

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath
        OohAhPaulMcGrath June 21, 2016 at 9:19 pm .

Bottom line is hasn’t Uncle Oohagh been proved right the last few years. Just saying πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

1. CA Villan
          CA Villan June 23, 2016 at 8:28 am .

You’ve been saying that we will be relegated for 6 seasons. 5 out of those 6 you were wrong. How about you try and support the team before you start slagging them off?

Give us all a break!

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
            OohAhPaulMcGrath June 23, 2016 at 9:05 am .

Flippen heck we wernt far off onky missing it by the skin of our teeth. We were always going to go down in the end we all knew that really

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath June 21, 2016 at 9:19 pm .

I never said he was crap I said he was injury prone !

1. Andrew
        Andrew June 21, 2016 at 11:44 pm .

And as per usual you’re incorrect. He’s far from injury prone. 1 bad injury doesn’t make you injury prone. Wilshere is injury prone. Amavi isn’t as an example. Freak long term injuries happen. He has no history of injuries.

6. owen
    owen June 21, 2016 at 7:29 pm .

Clark! It’s spelt Clark!

7. Villain1
    Villain1 June 21, 2016 at 8:58 pm .

Good solid signing to start the new era. We need leaders, experienced heads and good characters and Elphick seems to tick all those boxes.
    I think Clark will be more than good enough for the championship, sure he makes errors but at that level he’ll be fine. Its the troublemakers Richards and Lescott we need out the door whatever the cost

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath June 21, 2016 at 9:17 pm .

Clarke is not good enough he is a liability

1. OriginalLondonLion
        OriginalLondonLion June 22, 2016 at 1:20 am .

Actually Oohah, I would like to see Clark playing under some on-field leadership, which Tommy will provide. My first impression of Clark was that he might make up into that leader of the back four that all teams need. Sadly that does not now seem likely, some players have that leadership stamp but most don’t. That does not make Clark a bad defender if he learns to take orders and carries them out.

Before his attitude got corrupted and before he came to Villa the same could have been said of Lescott, Told what to do by a good partner, he was quite effective. As for Richards – no bloody chance! Just no self discipline or glimmer of a team player.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath
          OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2016 at 9:18 am .

I just don’t think he has the ability though OOL and far too error prone though all are defenders and midfield are.

1. Dave67
            Dave67 June 22, 2016 at 11:58 am .

Clark got slated for one missed timed tackle in the last Irish match. When others on the field were shit for the whole game .

2. DSVilla
            DSVilla June 22, 2016 at 3:01 pm .

Clark came close to two other own goals in the game he finally scored with his third attempt. He makes way too many mistakes for my liking. The missed (unnecessary) tackle last time out was typical of his poor judgement.

8. Andrew
    Andrew June 22, 2016 at 3:33 am .

Good god Guzan’s been awful tonight. Doesn’t help the absolute trash in front of him but all 3 goals could’ve been saved. Maybe not the free kick, that one was a beauty, but the other two… Easily should’ve done better. He had a pretty decent tournament up till this game but wow has it gone from decent to crap real fast.

1. giddyvillan
      giddyvillan June 22, 2016 at 8:25 am .

Lol Andrew he was Gordon banks the other night in your eyes.he’s fucking useless

1. Andrew
        Andrew June 22, 2016 at 11:41 pm .

Never. He’s had a fairly strong competition but last night he was awful.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath
      OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2016 at 9:17 am .

Guzan has to go

9. langfordvilla
    langfordvilla June 22, 2016 at 9:07 am .

Ist game

Sheff Wed v Villa 7th August….live on Sky Sports

1. giddyvillan
      giddyvillan June 22, 2016 at 9:16 am .

I say this every season why is our opening fixture away yet again???? Fuck nows the last time we we had an opening home game.