Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Lionheart September 6, 2013 at 3:28 pm .

Next season let’s say Benteke is off for 30M..

The wage bill sorted..

PL could easily bring in 4 players for 10M each.. a play maker ST DM and CB.. and i also think he already as two targets for each positions he knows about..

marvin September 6, 2013 at 3:42 pm .

To be fair that argument can be said for any manager or team though. How many of QPR’s established signings last season came good? How many of Houllier’s signings? McLiesh?

In the case of Lambert, sure he’s had some less than special signings, but for the amount of money we’ve spent on a whole new squad the pro far outweigh the cons. No matter how you spin it the club comes out ahead.

marvin September 6, 2013 at 3:43 pm .

^ in response to Terry Jones comment above.

Terry Jones September 6, 2013 at 4:39 pm .

MARVIN Mon did throw money at it and failed but at the same time with the level of investment we now have and we all knew cuts would have to be made all i am saying is when are going to see this vision of PLs pay dividends.Are we fans whom invest our hard gained money in going to watch our team and in merchandise going to see any improvement if any.There is no garantee we are.Some of us are at the age now we will not be around in twenty years time.

Foxy September 6, 2013 at 4:48 pm .

Lambert only took over last season and the point of bringing in young, cheap and promising talent is that you coach them to bring out the potential and get a bunch of them working as a team. That’s what Lambert is doing and it’s going to take two or three years.

It’s going to be interesting seeing how Kojak stacks up against Benteke. Unfortunately for him there’s going to be a load of pressure and scrutiny but in Lambert we trust. Well, most of us!

I have my ticket booked for the Newcastle match, will be about £100 all in, including ticket, petrol train in and some grub. Can’t wait, especially as I can’t afford to come up every month.

OohAhPaulMcGrath September 6, 2013 at 5:11 pm .

The point of bringing in cheap talent is to save Lerner shit loads of money end off

Foxy September 6, 2013 at 5:13 pm .

No evidence of that. He’s pumped in a few hundred million, that didn’t work. He’s getting the club financially stable and building it up again.

Terry Jones September 6, 2013 at 4:58 pm .

FOXY would you not like to refrase that to some of us.If there is not a vast improvement on last season then i;e mid-table then will you be defending him when once again he brings out the British-Rail book of excuses.

Foxy September 6, 2013 at 5:22 pm .

Terry, yes I wouldn’t. Not sure what you want me to rephrase, that rebuilding the club is going to take two or three years? British Rail, ‘we’re getting there’? Yes, I’m going to support Lambert and Aston Villa.

So what instead Terry, what’s your master plan? Lerner pays off another manager, gets in a new one (who would you bring in?) and gives him (i.e. lends the club) another couple of hundred million? That’s probably about what it will cost to replace the team except for presumably Guzan and Benteke, and pay their wages for three years minimum, to the standard of challenging the top four. Does Lerner keep lending the club money until he runs out, or is there a point at which he stops? Either way it’s unsustainable financially, especially if financial fair play rules come in. That’s probably a naive way of looking at it but it would be interesting to hear how you would sort out all of this?

Bill Pearson September 6, 2013 at 5:30 pm .

Terry you just don’t get it do you, we don’t have magic wands at Villa park , just professional coaches, pay attention man to what lial fans are saying, there is a change going on, give it time mate I’m about 8 years older than you so you have seen some good years like myself, I will make a bet with you, you will think different by December. I want my grandson to see a solvent top class football club not one that buried with greedy footballers, pluss people that’s moaning because we don’t buy the league or cups, give them a chance. Villa will change the way its been going by breaking agents and footballer over paid wage.

Benno September 6, 2013 at 6:09 pm .

I’m totally behind his philisophy and ideas. I love most of the players that he has brought in and the fact he has been able to offload most of the dross that we had.

I have two concerns about Paul Lambert:

Firstly- the ability to organize a good defence. Last year we were shambolic at the back. The worst I have seen following the team. This year we seem a lot more organized and way less likely to concede goals. However, we are still not keeping clean sheets…so the jury is still out for me on this one.

Secondly: the way we play at home. We are outstanding when we play counter attacking football. Our performances away at the end of last season and the beginning of this have been brilliant, but our home form is woeful. FOr me, this comes down to an inability to break teams down. Teams that come and get players behind the ball, we struggle to score against and got caught out several times last year (Wigan, Newcastle, Southampton…). IMO we still lack a creative midfielder that can help us do that. I was 100% sure that PL was going to bring one in during the window….and instead he bought in another big striker!!

However, all in all, I am a happy Villa fan. Whatever happens this year, I dont see us ending up anywhere near the bottom of the table!

Andrew September 6, 2013 at 7:49 pm .

Helenius wants to play that creative midfielder spot, Tonev can also play that spot. We needed someone to back up Benteke if he can’t play a game or two we really don’t have anyone.

Foxy September 6, 2013 at 8:49 pm .

Kojak seems to be Benteke’s replacement, or back up.

Terry Jones September 6, 2013 at 7:26 pm .

Well British-Rail did not get there they got sold off.All i am saying is if this does not work then how the hell can anyone keep defending what is going on and as for the fair play rules who in their right mind thinks that the so-called Sky 4 are going to abide by them they will always find a get out clause.

Foxy September 6, 2013 at 8:51 pm .

Doom, gloom, doom, gloom. If the world ends that will teach us lot thinking we’re alright.

Naughtius Maximus September 6, 2013 at 7:34 pm .

im also on the positive side and like the ideal and the philosophy, I wont go over the ground that has been covered.
    I will bring up the way we go about sourcing players now, take the new lad kozak playing 2nd fiddle to klose at Lazio only getting his chance in the Europa league and scoring 10! goals he must be itching to prove his worth and now he’s got his chance just like a certain Mr Benteke, same goes for the other lads where they might otherwise be playing in obscurity they come to villa to play in the prem and play they will but Iwhat I think they find more importantly is a spirit at villa that is found at few clubs, the same spirit there is at dormund, ajax and currently Liverpool under Brendan Rodgers.
    for me ive said since the start i’ll know for sure by jan if I trust in lambert and I still stand by that, im not blind to the problems in this philosophy nor am I convinced about lambert tatically at times but one this is for sure I like what I am seeing and Im liking the possibilities of the promise even more.
    UTV

Andrew September 6, 2013 at 7:42 pm .

Kozak started in the Czech’s qualification loss.
    Okore’s on the bench for Denmark.
    Weimann and Tonev to start v Germany and Italy.
    Clark on the bench against Sweden
    Vlaar on the bench for the Netherlands
    Benteke to start against Scotland

OohAhPaulMcGrath September 6, 2013 at 8:31 pm .

Vlaar on the bench for Netherlands who was it that said yesterday he is a regular for holland. Bad thing for us now is he can’t get injured 🙂

Andrew September 6, 2013 at 8:34 pm .

Only defender they have that’s a regular now from the World Cup’s Willems. Hell if they had an older LB he’d have been replaced anyways. Holland’s going the youth way because well, they can in defense.

Andrew September 6, 2013 at 8:36 pm .

To be fair he’s the only one making the bench from the world cup other than Willems from the defense. So…

Andrew September 6, 2013 at 8:45 pm .

Look at that, without Vlaar, the Netherlands are losing to ESTONIA.

OohAhPaulMcGrath September 6, 2013 at 9:04 pm .

Ha ha they’d be losing 4.0 of he was playing

Andrew September 6, 2013 at 9:17 pm .

6-0, he’d been sent off, booed off and exiled from Holland!

OohAhPaulMcGrath September 6, 2013 at 11:31 pm .

Correct