Lambert says we’re bigger than West Bromwich Albion.

The Mail have run a quote from manager Paul Lambert, where he says that Villa are the bigger club;

I hate this sort of comment, as you just know that there’s every chance it’ll come back and bite you on the backside.

No doubt Lambert was asked the question outright after earlier comments from Ken McNaught saying we’re the bigger club, but I wish he’d have just said he didn’t want to get involved in that sort of question.

Still, it’s not that big a deal and I have to say I have a lot of respect for the Albion. Certainly more so than the mob down the road.
They have a great history, have won plenty and have decent support.

Certainly I think most Albion fans see us as the biggest local rivals and I suspect quite a few of us see them as ours.
The Albion fans do get a bit lairy though when this subject is raised and it has led to their fans bombarding the site on occasions.
Which is ok as long as things are kept civil.

Me, I’m just hoping for a decent game.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Langfordvilla November 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm . Reply

Vaze lol…you love disagreeing with me. Thats fine given that we all have a common aim….improvement for our beloved club. Sadly, that does not appear to be on Randolph’s agenda. If we struggle again this season and he doesnt invest more in the summer then, whilst I will still turn up, there will be no sense of excitement from me. The current situation cannot, and should not be continued and a change will be needev at the top IMO,

1. Vaze November 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm . Reply

I don’t love to disagree with anyone.

If you check the thread on player purchases, I have made my point regards the Villa and spending. We’re sixth in the table of net outlay, hardly reason for Lerner to go.

We’re all disappointed that we’re scraping around midtable, and I’m not overly confident we’ll get a win tomorrow over there.

This constant slagging and moaning with no suggestion of alternate thinking is boring though. Populist admittedly, but predictable and boring.

2. nath November 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm . Reply

yeah be proud we are aston villa ~ founder members of the English football league ~ we are the envy of world. so fitting we was present at the birth of the premier league also ever-present,

I really do understand all concerns of lerner, but its my opinion he has spent and will spend again, lamberts been given funds, players that av been recruited are all potential, not world established. but as benteke proved lambert has a good eye 4 buying stars of the future.

after this season ~ I believe we will be a solid top 10 again and ready 4 the next lvl be patient and we will proud again

thanxs 4 ur reply langfordvilla ~ ur opinions are red and valued always so I was shocked and very concerned. I hope u do keep ur faith and judge them after two more transfer windows

1. Vaze November 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm . Reply

I’m with you on this Nath, I just agree to disagree with others who demand instant success as Villa have some sort of right to be in the top six constantly. Money changed all that. Chelsea and Citeh were nobodys in the 90’s when we had a run in their place.

If only Lambert had been here spending the fortunes that MON was given. At least nearly every player that Lambert buys can be sold on at cost.

Beats the likes of Curtis Davies and Warnock brought in for millions on huge contracts and released for free.

In my opinion anyways, that’s all any of us, mine’s no more right than any other.

1. Langfordvilla November 24, 2013 at 4:52 pm . Reply

Vaze mate….. I have never demanded (or expected) instant success (we havent won anything since 1996). Moreover, I have always been a fan of the ‘new model’. But there should be a balance! All I called for in the summer was the addition of 2 relatively experienced PL players….at the cost of perhaps £6 or £7 million each ie Caulker, Barry on loan…the Kozak fee would have covered Barry’s wages and we could have probably got him on a free at the end of the season. We did NOT need another forward IMO. Dont forget that Barry can play in a number positions and would have been an enormous help to our youngsters and a great role model to boot. My point is that this would have barely been more than we actually spent and would have indicated a little ambition at the very least……….and a little ambition is all I need to see….not asking too much is it?
        Perhaps, Vaze, you may even agree with that 🙂

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath November 24, 2013 at 9:45 pm . Reply

I agree Langford. That’s a fair point people forget Barry can play virtually anywhere in midfield and defence. We missed out bug time. Agree there needs to be a balance I’m not saying bring players like Warnock etc but Milner Barry etc who play their heart out regardless of money and give us much needed experience. The only way our youngsters will go up a level is to play with players like Barry. Even Barry had to learn from experienced pros around him when he was young. Look at utds side of giggs scholes etc they had a great hard core of top experienced players around them to bring them on like robson Bruce pallister Hughes etc

2. Andrew November 25, 2013 at 4:05 am . Reply

Why do people keep claiming we didn’t need another striker? When Benteke was out… We would have had…. BOWERY. Bowery… Yes… Bowery, that’s it… Bowery. Kozak was an absolute must.

Although I agree about Barry.

1. Langfordvilla November 25, 2013 at 7:04 am .

Andrew…I hold my hands up mate. Your right, on reflection we did need another striker. Bowery, not ready yet (will he ever be)?

3. nath November 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm . Reply

100% correct citeh were 2nd division and Chelsea were bottom half at best ~ we tried 2 overspending and mon signings we just short but overspending and missing out on the holy grail of champions league has set us back ~ its my opinion and iam standing by this with vaze 🙂

but we will be back ~ groundwork was done last season and this and we av another crack nxt year

4. mark November 24, 2013 at 12:38 pm . Reply

We are twice the size and value of WBA, no discussion required:
    More fans
    Bigger ground
    More honours
    More PL seasons
    Higher average PL finishes
    Better sponsorship deals
    More famous

Can’t be arsed going on any more. There is not one area where WBA are bigger

I got no beef with WBA, got loads of mates who are fans and we get on fine. They fucking know the score that’s why. Silly argument.

5. BWS November 25, 2013 at 1:02 pm . Reply

Radio WM Franksy phone last Friday – Villa fan phones in

“Just drove past the Hawthorn’s and seen Clarky outside polishing the open top bus.”

Albion fan on the panel – “Polishing an open top Buzz? What yoo guing on about?”

Villa fan – “Well it’s your Cup Final on Monday mate.”

Foooking Brilliant.