Crystal Palace – Aston Villa Preview: Are we feeling confident?

It’s going to be a very brief preview, as I quite simply want to get us back to talking about the Villa.

The biggest news of course, is that Benteke the Beast will be back for this game and his re-appearance can’t come quick enough for me.
I’d like to see his return combined with Gabby being “rested”, myself, but very much doubt that’s going to happen for one minute.
I know that’ll be controversial, given that Gabby was our biggest threat on Saturday, but there is reasoning behind it.
My thinking is that we’ve become more reliant on Gabby than we really ought to be.
Hence we ought to go with Benteke up front, with Weimann behind him, just to see if it works or not.
It then leaves us the option of pulling Benteke off if he’s tired through lack of games or pulling Weimann off, if he’s his often ineffective self.
And bringing Gabby on as an impact player against a tiring Palace defence.

Like I said, it won’t happen, but I just get the feeling Gabby is beginning to get a little too comfortable at the club. Whether that’s because he’s a genuine favourite of Lambert’s, or he just has too much clout, I don’t know.

So onto the headline question.
Am I confident?

I’m afraid not.
Even with Benteke back, I’m not sure we have enough of a cutting edge in the middle.
The big question there, is will Cole get another start after being somewhat a revelation against Burnley?
I’d expect so, myself.

I can’t see past another draw, but that would be four on the trot, which I just don’t see happening at all.
Hence I see it being a one nil win.
“Which way?” I hear you ask.

God only knows.

But if we don’t get anything from this game, we’re surely going to be in for a poor Christmas aren’t we?
I so want to say I think we’ll pinch it, but I really have my doubts.

1. #HELENIUS December 2, 2014 at 10:00 pm . Reply

No Bill or oohaah, must mean we’ve won!!!

2. gerry December 2, 2014 at 10:01 pm . Reply

Nath and Bencey. Good for you lads, its gone a bit quiet round here. They must all be at the google translator sorting out their bullshit!!

3. Bencey83 December 2, 2014 at 10:01 pm . Reply

If Benteke hadn’t got sent off against Spurs, I do think we’d have won that match and then probably gone on to win the following matches, so we have been a little bit unfortunate. However, that doesn’t excuse the piss poor tactics and complete lack of flexibility in the manager’s approach. Why does he persist with certain players and not drop them when they’ve had a poor game? Or, more worryingly, is it that he actually thinks they’ve played well?

4. jvillan December 2, 2014 at 10:01 pm . Reply

spot on
    thank fuck wiemen got booked at least he cant play him sunday
    westwood is the worst case for a pl midfielder ever
    cleverly getting there
    need to get 442
    2 wide players in mid giving a bit natural cover to our fullbacks ashley cole in his prime would struggle playing that formation
    gabby get to fuck away how many times has he not passed to benteke
    benteke my god how we need him 2 half chances one brill goal
    cole injured after 8 mins jenas mark 2 another waste of couple million LAMBER

1. nath December 2, 2014 at 10:11 pm . Reply

cole was a free transfer, jenas was light years ago, many people would have forgotten but he was also a loan, i maybe wrong but i don’t care lmao 3 point 3points 3points.

5. Adam December 2, 2014 at 10:05 pm . Reply

A massive 3 points so fair play for getting the job done but once again the football was atrocious. Why the hoof time and time again? It’s disgusting, this is meant to be the premier league, not the conference! thank god benteke was there to save the day!

6. nath December 2, 2014 at 10:05 pm . Reply

🙂 hope you enjoy your Guinness gerry it will be all the sweeter with 3points

1. Lamberk December 2, 2014 at 10:10 pm . Reply

Hail the messaih – 1 win in 10!!!

1. nath December 2, 2014 at 10:16 pm . Reply

lmao or 1 win in one or unbeaten in 4, stats can swing both ways hey, you see lamberk your agenda is to spoil the fun of villa fans, we want 2 celebrate a win which is a welcome 3 points and may help us towards premiership survival which is the overall goal unless you can see us winning fa cup or champions league spot.

1. Lamberk December 2, 2014 at 10:25 pm . Reply

Not spoiling anything for anybody.
          If you want to “celebrate” a victory then thats fine.
          My opinion is different to yours.
          I could smell blood and this victory ends that now.
          The only way this tit will go is when/if we get taken over.

1. nath December 2, 2014 at 10:31 pm .

3 points won’t end your mission, to get rid of the manager, any decent owner would listen to the fans victory just helps villa keep their heads above the water, also helps to attract better players if our owner is willing to help our cause and his toy

2. Lamberk December 2, 2014 at 10:39 pm .

No chance of that Nath.
            Lerner listen to fans, have you forgotten McLeish?

3. nath December 2, 2014 at 10:50 pm .

i didn’t say, i believe he will or does. i was playing devil advocate

4. OohAhPaulMcGrath December 3, 2014 at 1:56 pm .

Agree it’s given that twat another lifeline.

7. committedvillan December 2, 2014 at 10:10 pm . Reply

well done lads.. 4 unbeaten … papering over them cracks again :). god knows how we won though. we must be the worst PL ever for keeping possession and Gabby the worst ball control i’ve ever seen from a professional footballer.
    our midfield is atrocious, no wonder our defence comes under such pressure. Alan Hutton had another excellent game. Guzan made some really poor decisions tonight and his kicking is awful. i quite like Sanchez but he is not quite up pace yet….will probably see the best of him post xmas. well done Benteke (but i still prefer Heskey) i up to 12th in the table….dont fuck it up against the foxes on Sunday…anyone else getting bored with not losing 🙂

8. Benno December 2, 2014 at 10:19 pm . Reply

Fair play to our defence. Cant fault our defending in recent weeks, esp given the pressure they have come under. Perfect excuse for club to offload Vlaar in Jan now, Lerner will be rubbing his hands together!

Tactics and general play is still woeful, but I guess we are stuck with Lambert until at least the New Year now. I wonder what the lowest amount of goals we have scored in one season is? Could be another record for Lambert to crush!

I should be happy after getting 3 points, but I cant as I know Lambert will put out the same team against Leicester and we will endure another 90 mins of painful viewing.

1. committedvillan December 2, 2014 at 10:30 pm . Reply

Benno, weimann is suspended for sunday. surely that means grealish will get a start? leicester ideal opponents to throw him in IMO

1. Adam December 3, 2014 at 9:37 am . Reply

Weimann suspended = Blessing in disguise!……Grealish or Robinson step up to the plate. Oh no wait a minute Kieran Richardson is still alive, shit!