Kit launch on Sunday

The younger daughter texted me today, asking if I fancied going to the kit launch on Sunday.
The truth is, I don’t particularly, as I’m a boring old fart these days who likes to sit on his bum doing as little as possible, so I can recuperate from the efforts of the working week.

But then again, I thought it’s another chance to meet up with the grandsons, whose youthful enthusiasm for the Villa knows no bounds. That can’t be a bad thing can it?
It very much reminds me of my youth and we all know we love to harp back to that.

So off I go to read the official site’s description of what’s going to happen.
It actually sounds quite good, in that there are groups playing the sort of music I might quite like.

Except I then go on to read this;

Entrance to the event will be free of charge.

However, children’s activities and stadium tours will require either a wristband – which gives you unlimited access to all the activities (£5) – or tickets (£1 each) which give you a single go on each activity.

Like in previous years, you will receive a wristband free-of-charge for every home shirt that is purchased.

WTF?
Don’t get me wrong, I’m fortunate enough in that I can afford to pay a fiver for each of the people who will be going, so it doesn’t really affect me much.
And the tour, yes, you don’t want to be giving that away. It’s not something you’d do repeatedly, is it?

But charging for kid’s activities? At a quid a time, if they can’t afford the fiver for the wristband?
I can’t see the reasoning behind this. Times are hard for some and there’s no way many I know could afford this.

Some of you might not believe it, but my week’s pocket money as the eldest of five kids, equated to the equivalent of a packet of crisps and these sort of events were massive highlights in my younger life. Anyone else remember the Army putting a demo day on at the Norton in Pype Hayes every year, for example?
Ok, I never joined the Army, but the feeling I got from sitting in a tank, as an eight year old…. well, you get the idea, I’m sure and it’s something I’ve never forgotten.

The point is, it was all free and the thought of being asked for money never came into it.
They were after your custom, regardless of whether the tactic worked or not.
In other words, you were doing them a favour, as they were after something, as opposed to the other way round.

So why are we charging our future audience for an event where they actually want you to buy a massively over-priced shirt?
The cost to the club for this event will be minimal in the scheme of things and this is just penny-pinching in my opinion.
I’m actually quite minded to go out of my way to not buy a shirt.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Andrew June 14, 2014 at 6:08 am . Reply

Personally don’t see Vlaar leaving still. Van Gaal and United are linked to the entire Dutch team, and he’d probably go for younger than Vlaar in Blind, De Vrij, Martins Indi before Vlaar. Only other club I could possibly see him at is Tottenham but I doubt it. Maybe someone like Atletico or to Germany, but again, I doubt it. He’ll be here for the new season, partnering Okore/Senderos with hopefully a better midfield in front of him.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 14, 2014 at 1:04 pm . Reply

Vlaar will be a decent squad player for them hes done fuvk all for us hope he does go no loss. Funny how he’s trying to play himself into shop window

1. Andrew June 14, 2014 at 2:08 pm . Reply

Vlaar would walk into United’s defense with Vlaar and Ferdinand gone. Dunno about Spurs as they have decent CB’s but most likely. Miranda looks likely to leave due to Atletico not being able to offer him the huge wages he wants so Vlaar would start their too. Again, get him a DM like De Jong and good fullbacks and you’ll see a much calmer, better Vlaar. But when you’re killing yourself for 80% of the game keeping balls left and right out of the box… You’re right, he can’t keep up. But I don’t know of a defender who could under Lambert’s tactics.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 14, 2014 at 3:48 pm . Reply

vlaar would not be a regular with utd feerdinand had pace could bring the ball out. Vlaar is a donkey and hoofs it

1. Andrew June 15, 2014 at 3:55 am .

Ferdinand… Had pace? Ferdinand was as slow as a bloody sloth.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 15, 2014 at 12:17 pm .

No he wasn’t rio was pacy but granted he slowed towards the end

3. Bill Pearson June 15, 2014 at 9:28 am .

Take no notice Andrew, Oohah been on the bottle again, what we needed was Rocket Ron.my take on the game lastnight was Bains out of possison to far forward, Johnson who makes me wonder why he gets games, he’s always going in the wrong direction when defending, and OK nice ball from Rooney but ball watching again, England won’t get into the next round. It looks good with some nice inter play but 3 glory hunters and not laying off the final balls, WHAT DO I KNOW. 🙂

4. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 15, 2014 at 12:21 pm .

I thought we played well but playing the 6 attackers like Liverpool is not going to work on a street smart team like Italy. Having said that we could easily have got a point with better finishing. Rooney missed a sitter and just picked on reputation nowadays. I still think we will beat Uruguay there is no way Suarez will be anywhere near fit enough even if he does play so going for 3.0 England win

5. Andrew June 16, 2014 at 3:51 am .

This is England… 3-0? Really? They’ll be fortunate to win let alone 3-0.

An unfit Suarez can still own any England midfielder/defender. Then you add in Cavani and Forlan who are both incredible players who work really well with him.

6. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 16, 2014 at 5:47 pm .

Lol true but players like sterling will destroy their defence. Even if not 3.0 we should win. Hate to say it but Germany look good ouch

7. Andrew June 16, 2014 at 6:56 pm .

Yes the young legs of England can outpace their defense, but that still remains to be if England’s midfield/defense can keep out Forlan, Cavani and Suarez.

8. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 16, 2014 at 7:39 pm .

Forlan is rubbish don’t know much about cavani

9. Andrew June 16, 2014 at 7:55 pm .

Forlan’s rubbish? Lol, that’s a good one. 😉 But no, seriously. Forlan’s a very good player.

Cavani’s a world class player, can easily take on and beat any English defender.

10. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 16, 2014 at 10:21 pm .

They didn’t look world class v Costa Rica. Honestly I can’t see us losing to them whether Suarez plays or not at the very worst a draw but still fancy a comfortable 2-3.0 win

11. Andrew June 16, 2014 at 11:35 pm .

Personally think you’re dreaming for England to ever have a comfortable win at the World Cup, even against a Country like Costa Rica, but especially a wounded Uruguay who have no choice but to win.

12. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 17, 2014 at 7:00 pm .

We will see but if we play like we did v Italy we will win

13. Andrew June 17, 2014 at 7:31 pm .

Hardly. Created very few genuine chances, and Baines was eaten alive because Rooney’s too slow/not interested in defense and not a single midfielder felt like helping. Uruguay are far better up front than Italy and with Suarez claiming he’s 100% fit, Uruguay can definitely beat England, even if they play the same way.

14. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 17, 2014 at 8:46 pm .

It’s just like Rooney to turn it on for 5 mins and be hailed a national hero by the utd brown nosing media!!

15. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 17, 2014 at 11:02 pm .

Too much emphasis on Suarez he is nowhere near 100% fit or he would of come on v Costa Rica. Even if he was he has rarely ever performed for his country and never does it when it matters even in club football. Remember their game at home to Chelsea he went missing

2. Bill Pearson June 14, 2014 at 6:59 am . Reply

Well that’s aways been our problem midfield, not saying Vlaar is off soon but like others will have itchy feet with no honours coming in and will start thinking its time to move, looking at him lastnight it was not all to do with the Dutch forwards, Vlaar was close to being Motm to me, he was that defence.

3. GIDDYVILLAN June 14, 2014 at 8:14 am . Reply

I would say the WC is by far the best shop window to be in, if vlaar continues to impress clubs will come knocking.what the fuck can the VILLA offer????

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 14, 2014 at 1:05 pm . Reply

We can offer him a guaranteed start with a 3 month winter sabbatical thrown in

4. #HELENIUS June 14, 2014 at 12:43 pm . Reply

Wow….I’m done….. Vlaar has a decent game and he’s, according to OOHAH, a useless lump. Madness. Is there any happiness in your life? And saying why can’t he do that for us…… Weren’t long ago you had both his balls in your gob praising him and apologising for writing him off……You mate, are mental

5. Vaze June 14, 2014 at 12:51 pm . Reply

Oohah is fine, unless he’s commenting on football.

6. nath June 14, 2014 at 1:25 pm . Reply

lmao 🙂

interesting convo again Oohahahaha is having a laugh, but seriously VLaar is easily our best defender at present, if any decent offers come in for the guy, hes gonna be gone for sure, that would be disastrous for our survival hopes

i think its far easier to play in a better team and look good, than a poor side and stand out

7. Andrew June 14, 2014 at 2:05 pm . Reply

IncoAVFC
    There has been movement in the bank of America regarding the sale of Aston Villa FC , they have asked both interested parties to produce paperwork and documents regarding investment in AVFC the 2 parties are Mikey Arison and a unnamed Saudi tycoon.

Seems one of the two middle eastern investors has shown true interest. Big news of if true.

1. Andrew June 14, 2014 at 2:05 pm . Reply

Incog*

1. Clear off Lerner June 14, 2014 at 4:19 pm . Reply

Fingers crossed Andrew.
        Who is this IncogAVFC?

1. ifiruledtheworld June 14, 2014 at 7:03 pm . Reply

He’s a person on twitter, got Cole and Senderos right before the press came out with it.. he says Keane has agreed to become Lambert’s assistant for weeks, and they are gonna confirm it soon enough. So we’ll see how spot on he is.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 14, 2014 at 8:07 pm . Reply

I’d take no notice of rumours if someone keeps saying things enough time law of averages they will get one right. Until takeover is announced on OS it means nothing.

1. Scitzo oohah June 14, 2014 at 10:20 pm .

You mean like your constant Benteke is leaving statement?

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 14, 2014 at 10:35 pm .

I always said he would leave bar injury. If he was fit he would be sold. Plus window has another 2 months to go

3. Andrew June 15, 2014 at 1:36 am .

Wasn’t injured last summer, you said he’d go, wasn’t injured in January, you said he’d go. Making up this “he’d go if he wasn’t injured” is complete and utter garbage.

4. Colonius81 June 15, 2014 at 1:43 am .

I am not so sure ooo ahh .. you have managed to thwart that statistical normality with some of your claims! .. 😛

3. Andrew June 14, 2014 at 11:25 pm . Reply

The one in the know that seems to actually know. Don’t mind Oohah, I mean Cole and Senderos are clearly two players Villa usually go for so he made them up and got fortunate. 😉

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 14, 2014 at 3:48 pm . Reply

believe it when I see it andrew

1. Bill Pearson June 14, 2014 at 4:04 pm . Reply

Never mind Oohah it will give you something new to moan at. I have visions of you being a grumpy old sod, I wonder why.?

2. Andrew June 16, 2014 at 3:53 am . Reply

Okay then… But will you be upset Arison’s only worth 6 billion? Despite that being 6 times Lerner’s worth?

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 16, 2014 at 5:36 pm . Reply

More importantly saints have got Ronald koaman as manager while we have Ronald McDonald

1. Andrew June 16, 2014 at 6:55 pm .

Indeed… Now it just remains can he replace everyone that’s leaving correctly? I think he can, he’s a great manager. Of course I’d have loved him at Villa, but nothing we can do now.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 16, 2014 at 7:40 pm .

Crazy someone like that with some money would be great for us. We are fucked can’t believe we will still have lamberk and Lerner here at start of season it’s past a joke

3. Andrew June 16, 2014 at 7:56 pm .

Uhm… What? It’s bloody June 16th. We’re not even close to the start of the season. My god where do you come up with said garbage?

8. mike June 14, 2014 at 7:02 pm . Reply

Having a little chuckle at the Albion’s managerial appointment. 🙂

1. Lamberk June 14, 2014 at 7:29 pm . Reply

It would have been even funnier had they appointed Paul Lambert.

9. GIDDYVILLAN June 15, 2014 at 9:50 am . Reply

Happy fathers day to all you daddies out there. 😀

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 15, 2014 at 12:21 pm . Reply