The state of Midlands footy

Ok, the truth is it’s a bit of a nothing post, just something aimed at reminding you that we are still actually here.

We’ve got the World Cup to talk about and it has indeed been brilliant up until now, the disgraceful Hondurans apart; but apart from Vlaar playing a blinder the other night (disregard what Oohah says, although that’s just my opinion), there’s nothing really going on at the Villa to talk about.
Even the papers are struggling to find anything of interest to comment on, which given their propensity for printing utter rubbish says it all.

So I thought I’d expand things a little bit, seeing as where I’m working, there’s a good mix of club supporters.

While the Wolves fan I speak to is understandably quite happy, he has been asking what’s going on at the Villa, the (spit) and the Baggies.
Even the Stokey I regularly chat footy with, has stopped trying to wind me up, as I think he’s realised this joke isn’t funny any more.

It’s a sad situation all round, isn’t it?

We appear to be stuck without an imminent buyer for the club, regardless of all the rumours and judging by the signings we’ve made up until now, we aren’t going to be buying any players that I want us to sign.
IE, mid twenties, up and coming and more importantly PROVEN, at some decent level. Far too expensive that, when we have an owner who’s looking to get money back in, let alone invest.
So all in all, more than depressing.

But then, just where we think things are bad, the (spit) are way worse off than us.
They’re signing players at levels even below them, on loan and it’s all doom and gloom.
The sadistic part of me thinks it’s quite funny, but when I put my sensible head back on, I just see the parallels.
We’re both seriously struggling.

And then there’s Albion’s latest appointment.
What’s that all about?
A manager who hasn’t managed since 2011 and failed abysmally in the lower leagues?
How does that even get him in the running for a Premier league club?
And on a rolling 12 month contract, at that?
It hardly inspires confidence, does it?

And we thought Lerner was bad!

1. Andrew June 22, 2014 at 12:06 am . Reply

Rumours going around on facebook and twitter Keane fell through over money… Damn, so sad.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2014 at 12:09 am . Reply

Yeah gutted lol. Here we go 2 new Americans linked to us about 3 billion USA dollars between us so not going to be ambitious but enough to take us into top 8 http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-takeover-talks-two-3739786?

1. Andrew June 22, 2014 at 12:15 am . Reply

3 times more than Lerner which I think is more than enough for Villa as since Lerner did a fair bit of the infrastructure, they’d really only need to point towards transfers/wages/probably a boost in the scouts and academy overall.

I do love the comments though

“The duo know Randy Lerner – who put Villa on sale last month – and have been discussing figures for the past few weeks, with the price ­falling to around £150 million. Harris and Blitzer are investment experts and have specialised in ‘distressed’ companies.”

Specialize in distressed companies. Now that’s good journalism.
        They also claim Delph, Gabby and Vlaar were promised fresh pay contracts, which I think they’d all sign.

1. Andrew June 22, 2014 at 12:31 am . Reply

Too be fair they did buy an NHL team for 320m after buying an NBA team for 280m.

Josh Harris worth 2.1b Harris’s networth jumped 600m in 2012-2013. Business and Sports is something he knows quite well apparently.

No idea about Blitzer, but seems Harris would be the head guy if this is even true, which it could be as he seems to like buying sports teams and making them a success.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2014 at 12:43 am .

Yeah true I think we all want the city type money at vp but it won’t happen. I’m not convinced with American owners either they done well in USA which is their own sport but they just don’t get football no matter how much they say they do. And to be fair if I was a billionaire buying American football team I wouldn’t get it either

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2014 at 12:46 am .
          3. Andrew June 22, 2014 at 1:04 am .

True but I’d guess seeing as he is very successful in just about everything he does, he in fact surrounds himself with people that know what they’re doing, and that would be my guess if they buy Villa is they’d have a main man, IE: Faulkner, who actually has a clue, probably a Sporting Director as he runs everything like a business but despite maybe a lack of money, his ambitions can’t be argued.

4. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2014 at 1:11 am .

That would help but that only takes you so far unless you have world class foreigners in your team you will only have a chance at league and fa cup only. Top 4 etc forget it

5. Andrew June 22, 2014 at 1:58 am .

It’ll never be an automatic, it could take 5 years for us but we can make the CL under a great owner, good management, strong tactics, solid players and such. Not talking about simply making the CL after this coming season, we won’t, under no owner, probably not even City’s.

6. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2014 at 3:24 am .

In that case we might as well not bother for 5 years if all we can look fwd to is a top ten finish and poss a Mickey Mouse cup run. What’s the point

7. Andrew June 22, 2014 at 3:44 am .

99% of football clubs mine as well go away then. We have to slowly grow, it’s never going to come fast for us, no matter who owns us at the moment. That’s a terrible view on football/the club claiming what’s the point if it takes a while to get places.

8. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2014 at 11:46 am .

Yep but that’s the point I’m fed up supporting a club whose sole ambition is staying up. I’m not saying we have to win everything but it would be nice for other teams to start thinking shit we are playing Villa next week that’s going to be a tough game whereas they look fwd to a guaranteed 3 points of us.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2014 at 12:40 am . Reply

Lol distressed being the operative word. Because of Everton, city and spurs we will never crack the top four unless there is major surgery. I seriously think that we would need to spend up to £200 m just to challenge for the top four and no owner will spend that plus ffp as well though that will die in its arse by the time city’s lawyers have finished

1. ifiruledtheworld June 22, 2014 at 12:43 am .

Wouldn’t mind that.. however I’d still like to know what’s happening in regards with Arison..

2. Andrew June 22, 2014 at 1:07 am .

I don’t quite think we need 200m, I’d say at least 75m but I don’t think Arsenal or Pool (especially if the reports are true Barcelona are close to signing Suarez due to a clause in his contract) and CL football, could very well be there for the taking. It’s huge that we get the right directors in though, Baldini is terrible as a sporting director and was so against everything AVB wanted, we need a manager and sporting director that can talk it over and come to an agreement on players. But I think the main first season thing should be 10th, comfortable, 50-55 points, while yes I’d want a shot at Villa getting into Europe, even in the Europa League, being comfortable needs to come first.

Arison is interesting and I do wonder what’s going on with him as well.

3. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2014 at 1:13 am .

Yep arison has disappeared for now no idea. It could all be bs anyway. Liverpool will still have a top 4-6 team without Suarez and remember they will be able to get one or two decent replacements for that much.

4. Andrew June 22, 2014 at 1:59 am .

They won’t get a replacement near as good or influential as him though, and that’s a biggie. He often wins games on his own, Sturridge can but not near as well as Suarez and their Captain’s nearing the end of his career himself. They’ll struggle to get the players they want still.

5. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2014 at 3:22 am .

Still got sterling, Sturridge, Henderson, courtinho all decent. But no one is irreplaceable they could hijack Chelsea for Costa. Remember no one thought they’d replace Torres but the signed Suarez. Alternatively they could get Benteke or lukaku for example

6. Andrew June 22, 2014 at 3:42 am .

Costa would have to wanna go there though.

They could get Benteke, Lukaku or Costa, but none are near as good as Suarez and much like Costa for Spain, he’d fail at Pool largely because of their style.

They have good players, but they need better defenders, although their style, no CB’s gonna be good enough and a new CM or two. One that has the influence of Gerrard.

2. Bill Pearson June 22, 2014 at 9:11 am . Reply

Another rumours , they are saying I’m 75 today, and its my birthday, fuck um its true, got pissed lastnight in an Italian restaurant with hen party girls oh happy days, they tried to get my pant off, they won. Meeting the Yanks tomorrow on businesses issus anyone got a message for them to ask Lerner,? Just a thought.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 22, 2014 at 11:44 am . Reply

Where do u want me to start bill lol

2. saddened June 22, 2014 at 12:33 pm . Reply

Happy Birthday Bill – Have a good one !

3. GIDDYVILLAN June 22, 2014 at 3:40 pm . Reply