It looks like Tammy’s staying; I’m glad

The news first came out in the Guardian, but it’s also being reported by Skysports and the Beeb, etc, so you’d expect it’s probably correct.
Of course, nothing is certain until it’s certain, is it? It was only yesterday that he was guaranteed to go, after all.

Of course, I’m massively biased in my views, but I do believe this is the right decision for the lad at this current time.
Yannick Bolasie sent a Tweet or an Instagram thingy that asked Tammy not to go with a picture of him having Tammy in a friendly headlock and you get the sense that the striker has got a great rapport with the rest of the Villa players, even though he’s only been with us for a few months.
Couple that with the fact that while I don’t think he’s anywhere near the finished article yet, he’s having a great season thus far.
As I suggested the other day, why would he want to leave?

There are of course, some good reasons though.
He’d be playing at a Premier league club for a start. But Wolves are going quite well and would Tammy be able to get much playing time there? You have to doubt it and substitute would probably be his usual position.

I do think we got a little lucky when Chelsea came out and said that the player wasn’t for sale.
I think that if Chelsea had wanted to sell the player, he’d probably have gone, as he’d have a much better chance of fighting for a place.
As it is, Tammy (or more likely his agent) has decided to opt for the status quo.

It was interesting to see that Abraham apparently didn’t train yesterday. Either he met the Wolves staff and asked for guarantees that weren’t forthcoming or Dean Smith just gave him the day off to have a think about it.
If it was the former, well, it’s to our benefit that we’ve still got him.
If it was the latter, we have a short term legend on our hands.

Either way, this is great news that I’m welcoming with open arms.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 8
  1. DSVilla January 9, 2019 at 9:19 am .

Incidentally, for those that don’t know this, reducing Xia’s shares to below 25% means that Edens and Sawiris can (I think) remove him as a Director, and also make decisions to increase shares (capital) without having to offer any to Xia first. Not sure if Hitch or others on here can shed more light on that.

1. Hitchens60 January 9, 2019 at 10:31 am .

DS – I believe shareholding and Directorships are unrelated – in other words you can be one without being the other in either combination – hope that’s not too double Dutch!

The Board can vote to remove a Director (without the Directors consent) at any time for a number of reasons although some will be linked to performance defined in the Directors contract. Remember Ho was removed from the Board when Edens / Sawaris took control.

In regard to shareholding, there are regulations relating to the protection of minority shareholders in private companies but it’s a long time since I was directly involved.

As Villa is a privately owned company, I would expect there to be a Shareholders Agreement between Xia, Edens and Sawaris which inter alia would establish the rights and obligations of the parties in regard to how shares are owned, bought, sold or, in the event of new share capital created, whether Xia (for instance) is obliged to match the investment, has an option to match, or is not required to match – the latter position would result in a dilution of his holding in the company.

In this latter regard there may be a ‘floor’ and should (Xia’s) holding fall below that floor it might trigger various options as to how (Xia’s) remaining share holding is dealt with – but I’m speculating on detail which, I suppose, is interesting in a sort of academic way but not entirely helpful.

OLL may have a view.

Hope that helps

1. DSVilla January 9, 2019 at 2:05 pm .

Yes Hitch shares and directorships aren’t necessarily related. The point really relates to the greater than 75% shareholding. You are right about minority shareholders protections but these are pretty limited. I am reading the changes as part of the owners preparing to remove Xia altogether. He already had no real power against Edens and Sawiris, so they are calling the shots as we all know. I expect we may see him disappear altogether fairly soon. If E & S keep issuing new shares to themselves they will keep diluting Xia’s holding, probably making it cheaper to buy. In truth, it will be so small that he is unlikely to find any other buyer (what’s the point with no real leverage attached) so will take what is offered.

1. Hitchens60 January 9, 2019 at 2:43 pm .

I’m assuming DS that he’s not permitted to sell (shares) to a third party. Also possibly shares are traded on a parri passu basis.

1. Hitchens60 January 9, 2019 at 3:01 pm .

Er apologies for the Latin DS; means (the shares) are bought back at the same price at which they were originally sold or valued at in the Shareholders Agreement. So £1 shares cannot attain a value other than £1 (up or down).

Further apologies if I’m explaining something you already knew.

2. Originallondonlion January 10, 2019 at 10:00 pm .

Nothing I could add without seeing the company’s current Articles and Board minutes. I think Xia’s retention of a shareholding was to enable him to save face in front of the Chinese media, whereas in reality it is a Cheshire Cat job.

1. Hitchens60 January 11, 2019 at 7:18 am .

Agreed OLL – a dignified exit.

2. Hitchens60 January 9, 2019 at 12:45 pm .
    1. Pat 57 January 9, 2019 at 1:09 pm .

Hitch particularly note the following from Smith –

“I saw him break through as a youngster at West Ham so I’ve known about him for a long time. He also gives balance being a left footer. But he has great attitude, application and character.”

Sounds okay to me

1. Hitchens60 January 9, 2019 at 2:45 pm .

Agreed Pat – when we signed him, I was concerned where the knowledge was coming from given his very limited playing time over the last couple of seasons.

Good to read that Smith had a real input into the process.

3. Badger123 January 9, 2019 at 3:47 pm .

Andre Green to be recalled?

Good pacey option on the left and I’d like to see him back, but I’m not convinced we have a problem in that area, so don’t see it, myself.

1. Hitchens60 January 9, 2019 at 4:37 pm .

Badger, is he another U23 with a short term left on his contract like Jordan Lydon?

Smith may also want to think about the long term future. Both Bolasie and El Ghazi are loans and Adomah is struggling to find any real form since his laters injury. Kodjia is really a centre forward and not a wide player.

Just a thought

1. Badger123 January 9, 2019 at 6:03 pm .

Yep, out of contract in August.
        Good point and it would make sense for Smith to have a look at him.

4. Bill Pearson January 9, 2019 at 6:27 pm .

Correct me if I’m wrong, don’t it make sense to call any player back if they are only months away from being a free agent? Surly you would be throwing money away if like Lydon you feel he has a worth in football. They loaned him out to get playing time and he has made his mark at Portsmouth so I’m told by my old mate who live there.

1. nath January 9, 2019 at 6:48 pm .

lydon was a Oldham i think smith might just want to see if he has what it takes to make the grade for HIM and his style. if he does i reckon a new deal and sent back to oldam. i know a guy who unfortunately is one of their few supporters. he says hes been doing well there. i hope he does impress he is a tidy player who has had loads of bad luck with injuries.

green at portsmouth i think this kid has all the skill in the world and he needs games. if we do bring him back for smith to take a look as being said. it wont help green to not play at this stage. as i red somewhere he wanted to go out on loan. wasnt bruce kicking him out, he wanted games which is very commendable and it tells me he is confident he will improve out on loan.

the new centre back seems like a good gamble, smith has been keeping tabs on him for sometime, we havent got a left sided cb or much cover for left back. so in that sense its a very intelligent recruitment.

tammy staying is a blessing. cant state how much we would have missed his goals. ok we had kodjia and hogan but kodjia has not found his form since his injury lay off. hogan we would have had to change our style in such a crucial time of season. roll on spring and playoffs and if other teams buckle we will be there to pounce

2. Badger123 January 9, 2019 at 7:18 pm .

Bill, it does make sense to call them back for a look, but you also have to balance the wages/costs.
      We already have too many players on our books, to my mind.

Nath, correct.
      Green wanted to go out on loan.

This is the problem.
      We have loads of supposed great up and coming kids.
      But you can’t give them all a go.

Green, though, we’ve seen.
      And my opinion says he has the makings 🙂

1. nath January 9, 2019 at 7:31 pm .

but is he better than bolasie, el ghazi, adomah kodjia who all have been rotated out wide and bjanason plays there for his country. green has the ability to be as good, but is he constantly good enough this season, right now in time is he the real deal. i think smith wont recall unless he is going to use him often

1. Badger123 January 9, 2019 at 7:43 pm .

No, Nath, he won’t get a look in and is well down the pecking order, imo.

But that’s the problem and one I keep harping on about.
          What’s the point in having these kids if they’re never going to get a chance?

I see Green as a keeper, but don’t see him playing.
          Hence sadly, we might as well let him go, knowing that we’ve trained him and added to the game generally.
          Pointless, in other words.

1. nath January 9, 2019 at 7:56 pm .

the big mistake we make as fans is we see them in the under23s and think they can automatically step up and some do but most blow hot and cold. its a big step up and your right green is a defo keeper. plus hes not as far away as our others , but most importantly i think hes not good enough to displace the guys in front of him just now, so he is best served at pompey. he will improve more there by holding down a first team jersey and continuing the good form hes showing. this is only my opinions and if wrong and hes a superstar this season for villa i will still be a happy chappy

1. Badger123 January 9, 2019 at 8:01 pm .

i think our views are aligned, Nath.
              As much as it doesn’t suit the “bring him through, he’s one of our own” supporter’s thoughts.

3. Hitchens60 January 9, 2019 at 7:28 pm .

Bill, it’s Andre Green loaned to Portsmouth and he’s scored 5 times in last 9 games so reckon your mate is right.

1. nath January 9, 2019 at 7:35 pm .

best to say that hes only made 1 appearance and all the other were as sub appearances

1. nath January 9, 2019 at 7:37 pm .

1 starting appearances (was supposed to say)

4. Bill Pearson January 9, 2019 at 7:38 pm .

Call it senior moment Hitch i did mean Green, and been told he’s a hit there.I’ll be missing a while wife going in hospital again and drinking myself silly.

1. Hitchens60 January 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm .

Sorry to hear that Bill – your wife going into hospital I mean! Best wishes for a speedy recovery; hope she’s back home soon

5. nath January 9, 2019 at 7:51 pm .

nothing against bruce and wish him luck at wednesday, i see that we are interested in Adam Reach not sure its just paper lazy journalists. but if its true why not tempt bruce with some off our rejects he bought. like elmo both are similar in playing many positions. we could throw in jedi. we could do with lowering the wages to make more room for the smith style players he needs.

1. Badger123 January 9, 2019 at 7:56 pm .

I don’t think Wednesday have a pot to piss in and are in danger of breaching FFP.
      Hence the fans want silly money for Reach and are looking to rinse us.

I doubt we’ll be getting him, myself.

1. nath January 9, 2019 at 8:03 pm .

not much else in transfer in coming a right back from watford but we can field a 5 a side of right backs so doubt that got any truth in it as well.

do you think we will add more to our incomings if so how many more.

1. Hitchens60 January 9, 2019 at 8:13 pm .

Ah – if I could answer that question Nath, I’d even consider buying a lottery ticket!

2. Badger123 January 9, 2019 at 8:14 pm .

Good question.
          Hause wouldn’t have been my choice as left sided back up, personally.
          But if that’s all he is, fair enough.
          LB is the biggest problem, as I don’t rate Taylor and he’s supposedly our best bet.
          CB is a problem, but only temporarily.
          I’d like to see a more mobile defensive mid to cover Bjarnason.

But we need to move players on first and I see that as a big problem.
          I don’t think we have much to spend and seem to have blown it on Kalinic.

Maybe one cheapie and one decent signing.
          I’m not expecting much at all, tbh and Smith will have to go with what he’s got mostly.

6. nath January 9, 2019 at 8:20 pm .

i think your right about the DM situation. iam not happy with any of our current players there. you named Bjarnason and most will say hes done well there for us. but he isnt a natural DM and he doesn’t spot the danger like a natural DM. whelen and jedi don’t have the vision to play smiths system so i think we need a DM desperately,

left back i think between taylor and the new recruit and hutton ,they will think it will be enough until summer,

1. nath January 9, 2019 at 8:26 pm .

smith has played hourihane there and he definitely doesn’t play the role well. in a few games he has allowed runners to run off him and hes follows the ball instead of the players runs into the gaps. smith likes him playing there as he can start attacks with his good range of passing,

1. Badger123 January 9, 2019 at 8:45 pm .

Hourihane is wasted at DM. It doesn’t work, simple.

Bjarnason reads the game better though and has the ability to get forward occasionally.
        Neither are ideal though, imo.

We need an older mind, who can play out AND read the game.
        The right choice would be the lynchpin for how we play and this is where I’d put the money.
        Big ask though.

1. nath January 9, 2019 at 9:12 pm .

if you watched some of brentford under smith. the players controlled the ball instanstly and it was mainly one or max two touches. that was their strength. i think he has better ability players at villa, but not necessary better players on the ball. he seems frustrated when we give away cheap possession,

i think he knows he needs a DM somebody who can control the spine somebody who can pick up the ball deep and find mcginn and grealish deep in the enemy territory. but also can spot the dangers to our defence,

window is only just open i guess loads more will happen last two days as per usual

7. Hitchens60 January 11, 2019 at 6:57 pm .

Has anyone else noticed that Lambert is collecting ancient Villa players?

Following on behind Simon Dawkins – remember him – Collins has now also signed for Ipswich.

What on earth is Smith doing missing such bargains LMAO

8. DSVilla January 11, 2019 at 7:24 pm .

Smith has said Pitarch is being kept busy in search for additions this January. Also speaks of getting in a “Loans Manager” to watch the development of players sent out to develop. Sensible move I guess. Might be some interesting additions to come. Agree with others on here, we need a much more mobile DM (Idrissa Gueye 😉 )

9. nath January 11, 2019 at 7:43 pm .

news that Rushian Hepburn-Murphy has been loaned out and its about time for me. he is too good for youth or reserve footy, so if you are not integrating them into your team, you have to send them out to progress to the next level. hayes is another one who has not progressed this season needs to be given a challenge of a loan himself.

these players could all return from their loans, enjoy a summer break, return for next pre season much stronger to stake a claim for their villa shirts, depending what league we are in

nice to hear we might have a few more incoming from smiths interview today.