Wigan 3 -0 Villa; Embarrasing and promotion hopes totally gone. It’s really worrying.

To be honest, I just couldn’t get inspired enough to even do a preview for this game.
There are only so many times you can say “this is a game we ought to win easily”, while we go on to lose emphatically, which was the sneaky feeling that I had.

And just as I found it hard to do a preview, so I’m finding it difficult to do a review.

I just can’t understand how we’ve gone from a vibrant, attacking side to the “we’re f***ing sh*t!” that our amazing travelling support were singing about today, in such a short time.

I’ve got to be honest and I was wondering what Dean Smith was thinking with his substitutions today.
I totally fail to comprehend why Elphick was replaced for Hause today. What does that say to a player who’s just been recalled? Elphick was rightly annoyed and I totally understand why when Taylor was yet again poor.
Why didn’t Hause replace Taylor at Left back?
As it happened, Hause looked exactly what he is; a player who hasn’t played at this level in a month of Sundays.
He panicked and looked rushed, being caught out twice in two minutes. His indecisiveness and poor judgement led to him putting Kalinic under serious pressure a few times, because of poor back-passes.
If he gets another start in the next month, it’ll be too soon for me.
So much for him looking great in training.
He looked much worse than my impressions of Taylor when he first came, who by the way, if you haven’t got my message yet, is utter garbage.

And if you’re losing a game, why do you bring Whelan on, when his game is shoring up a defence? We’ve seen this before from Smith and I find it worrying. What does Whelan offer if you’re chasing a game?
Where was Lansbury, who did ok when he came on against Swansea? Does he really have a tight Hamstring?

Likewise Kodjia.
The rumour is that he’s off to Nice for £6 million, after apparently being spotted at Birmingham airport. Really?
I know he’s Marmite amongst the Villa fans, but £6 mill? That’s horrendous business for someone, who, while he hasn’t done it this season, has proven that he can, FOR US, which is the important part.

Bree is another totally average player.
I’ve often hinted at it, but never really mentioned it too much, because I don’t want to be seen to be running our younger players down.
If he’s better than Hutton, well, we think differently, it’s as simple as that.
At least Hutton shows energy and drive, although hands up that’s not really good enough in itself, is it?

And there lies our problem, I think.

We have far too many utterly average players, who will never produce anything good.
It’ll at best be “ok and he did a job”.

This isn’t good enough.

And all this is while we supposedly have the best squad in the league.
Individually, I’d agree with that assessment. On paper, we do have at least one of the best squads in the league.
But they have proven time after time that if you take a tiny bit of glue, as in Grealish or Tuanzebe, out, they simply don’t perform as a unit.
They’re a team of individuals.

And this needs changing.

Is the solution bringing the kids in?
I really don’t think so, myself.
Yes, ease the odd one or two in, but we can’t expect them to be our saviours.
Callum O’Hare proved that last week, after all.

Today was an awful result, against one of the worst performing sides in the league.
I’ll bet Wigan don’t kick on from this result, because they’re basically poor and we all know it.

So where does that leave us, apart from currently being worse?

Well, changing the manager is quite simply not an option, as much as I thought he got things wrong today.

We need new players.
And no, I’m not talking about our kids.

I’m minded to think that Smith has until the end of the season, the way things are going.
Which is ridiculous really.
But we all know how things work in footy.
Rowett and Karanka were gone after very short periods, after all.

Bill Pearson January 18, 2019 at 7:17 am .

What a terrible thought that the Scum can be one point off the play off if they win tonight. Garry Monk worked wonders if they over take us to the chance of play off . Well 18 days into the month and still waiting for a new Villa team. Is it going to happen.

Pat 57 January 18, 2019 at 10:14 am .

According to the Mail –

“Aston Villa are set to place a focus on building a younger squad after a board-level meeting involving manager Dean Smith.

According to the Express and Star, Smith held talks with chairman Nassef Sawiris and chief executive Christian Purslow in London on Wednesday to discuss the direction of the club.

The result was that they will commit to a more youthful approach to their transfer business – starting in this January window.”

This is good to hear. We need to build for the future.

Hitchens60 January 18, 2019 at 11:49 am .

The other point that came from that meeting is the unbalanced nature of the squad – too many attacking players – the squad needs rebalancing

I fully agree with both points Pat.

I’m sure Smith will try his best to get us promoted this season but this strategy suggests the owners accept more patience may be required and promotion this season is not an absolute requirement. I truly hope this is the case – there has been too much short term thinking interspersed with periods of pie in the sky promises.

Originallondonlion January 18, 2019 at 3:16 pm .

This is a direct criticism of the previous and current managers. Actually it is not possible to guess where injuries will deplete you, so you may be crying out for a back 4 replacement and have a spare #9 on the bench, but that is bad luck.

What is the problem that none of our midfielders except Grealish is a conspicuous asset and our full backs are sub standard.

So we hope to focus on youth, OK but it is my opinion that youthful attackers can shine, but youthful defenders find that more difficult, because experience is of greater value when defending.

Hitchens60 January 18, 2019 at 4:06 pm .

And owners OLL.

The implied ‘criticsm’ of former managers vis the aging nature of the squad and lack of balance came from Dean Smith.

Agreed on Grealish and full backs, although at least Hutton tries! We desperately need a qualite ball playing DM – Idrissa Gueye anyone?

I acknowledge your point on injuries OLL but the problems we have vis the paucity of quality defenders in key positions is not due to injuries, exacerbated yes – perhaps we should try converting one of our surplus centre forwards into a centre back!

Holte66 January 18, 2019 at 1:06 pm .

If youth is important then let’s see action backing up those words. Too much fear of failure has prevented youth being given a chance up till now. We should be blooding the Andre Greens now instead of loan players. Most Villa fans think promotion this season has gone now so let’s build a team for next season and onwards.

Hitchens60 January 18, 2019 at 4:13 pm .

Villa haven’t lost in 12 home matches against Hull and have won 11 of the last 15 meetings in all competitions.

Smith has lost all three games against Hull who have won 6 on the spin.

I’ve gone for a Hull win 1-3

Holte66 January 18, 2019 at 5:24 pm .

I can’t see anything other than a Hull win. I’m going for a 0-2 to Hull. A team lacking in confidence with a nervous home crowd that will be on players backs after first misplaced pass against a team with 6 wins on the spin. There again we might be pleasantly surprised! Wishful thinking 🤔

Hitchens60 January 18, 2019 at 7:18 pm .

Good news (or rumours) for you OLL – Hutton considering offers and could possibly leave in this window.

Makes sense if he can get another year playing as Villa will not renew his contract in the summer.

Get ready with your cheque book OLL – Villa Park beckons – LOL

Texas Johnny January 18, 2019 at 7:45 pm .

We’ve apparently made a bid for a french RB according to Bham Mail. I think we’ll soon see Hutton gone. As much as I like the guy, I think it’s time.

Sidforever January 19, 2019 at 11:38 am .

Badger I’m taking a different stance.
    Our club came very close to going bankrupt last summer. I am convinced our new owners with their business background including sports teams will bring success. Brining in quality like Purslow only bodes well.

Smith needs time to rebuild the team from the former managers unbalanced geriatric side.
    First step was a new goalkeeper. I will wait until the end of this transfer window before guessing how much progress we are making.

A win today fantastic, draw – it’s a point and loss – oh well, another day towards next season and a teal chance for Smith to mould his team.