Wigan 3 -0 Villa; Embarrasing and promotion hopes totally gone. It’s really worrying.

To be honest, I just couldn’t get inspired enough to even do a preview for this game.
There are only so many times you can say “this is a game we ought to win easily”, while we go on to lose emphatically, which was the sneaky feeling that I had.

And just as I found it hard to do a preview, so I’m finding it difficult to do a review.

I just can’t understand how we’ve gone from a vibrant, attacking side to the “we’re f***ing sh*t!” that our amazing travelling support were singing about today, in such a short time.

I’ve got to be honest and I was wondering what Dean Smith was thinking with his substitutions today.
I totally fail to comprehend why Elphick was replaced for Hause today. What does that say to a player who’s just been recalled? Elphick was rightly annoyed and I totally understand why when Taylor was yet again poor.
Why didn’t Hause replace Taylor at Left back?
As it happened, Hause looked exactly what he is; a player who hasn’t played at this level in a month of Sundays.
He panicked and looked rushed, being caught out twice in two minutes. His indecisiveness and poor judgement led to him putting Kalinic under serious pressure a few times, because of poor back-passes.
If he gets another start in the next month, it’ll be too soon for me.
So much for him looking great in training.
He looked much worse than my impressions of Taylor when he first came, who by the way, if you haven’t got my message yet, is utter garbage.

And if you’re losing a game, why do you bring Whelan on, when his game is shoring up a defence? We’ve seen this before from Smith and I find it worrying. What does Whelan offer if you’re chasing a game?
Where was Lansbury, who did ok when he came on against Swansea? Does he really have a tight Hamstring?

Likewise Kodjia.
The rumour is that he’s off to Nice for £6 million, after apparently being spotted at Birmingham airport. Really?
I know he’s Marmite amongst the Villa fans, but £6 mill? That’s horrendous business for someone, who, while he hasn’t done it this season, has proven that he can, FOR US, which is the important part.

Bree is another totally average player.
I’ve often hinted at it, but never really mentioned it too much, because I don’t want to be seen to be running our younger players down.
If he’s better than Hutton, well, we think differently, it’s as simple as that.
At least Hutton shows energy and drive, although hands up that’s not really good enough in itself, is it?

And there lies our problem, I think.

We have far too many utterly average players, who will never produce anything good.
It’ll at best be “ok and he did a job”.

This isn’t good enough.

And all this is while we supposedly have the best squad in the league.
Individually, I’d agree with that assessment. On paper, we do have at least one of the best squads in the league.
But they have proven time after time that if you take a tiny bit of glue, as in Grealish or Tuanzebe, out, they simply don’t perform as a unit.
They’re a team of individuals.

And this needs changing.

Is the solution bringing the kids in?
I really don’t think so, myself.
Yes, ease the odd one or two in, but we can’t expect them to be our saviours.
Callum O’Hare proved that last week, after all.

Today was an awful result, against one of the worst performing sides in the league.
I’ll bet Wigan don’t kick on from this result, because they’re basically poor and we all know it.

So where does that leave us, apart from currently being worse?

Well, changing the manager is quite simply not an option, as much as I thought he got things wrong today.

We need new players.
And no, I’m not talking about our kids.

I’m minded to think that Smith has until the end of the season, the way things are going.
Which is ridiculous really.
But we all know how things work in footy.
Rowett and Karanka were gone after very short periods, after all.

Bill Pearson January 13, 2019 at 3:14 pm .

Holte 66 you’ve given me hope, its blazingly obvious that squad would never get us up , (to me it was, ) I’m waiting for the season to end and get rid of player’s that are in cloud cuckoo land as footballers, im sure Smith and Terry know where the problem are and given time will get us on track.its been bad management in the past thats put us here along with sub footballer, if we only achieve the top ten its a step better than previous years. We have to ride this year out.utv.

Holte66 January 13, 2019 at 3:25 pm .

McCormacks contract ends summer 2020 so we might still end up loaning him out. I missed De Laet whose contract ends in the summer too. There are a few U23s like O’Hare and Clark who also have contracts expiring this summer. Plenty of negotiating to be done this summer Bill.

Hitchens60 January 13, 2019 at 3:54 pm .

Also Lyden and Andre Green.

Smith has some big decisions to make that will define his future management at Villa.

Hitchens60 January 13, 2019 at 3:56 pm .

Oops, sorry Holte – missed you had picked up on Lyden in your list

Bill Pearson January 13, 2019 at 4:40 pm .

All we can do is sit back and just hope things get better, our disision has to been seen next season , its been pointed out at least we have a manager that’s Villa to the core. Stick with him is my thoughts.

Hitchens60 January 13, 2019 at 7:06 pm .

Sticks in the craw – Gueye valued by Everton at £40m. Add that to recent reports that Amavi and Veretout (really?) are also valued at similar sums, one wonders what the hell has been happening at our club.

All we seem to manage is buying high and selling low like amateur market traders.

When, oh when, are we going to start seeing this depressingly and repetitively negative story of our recent history change – or are we doomed to a steady decline into mediocrity?

Through moneyball we did actually buy some decent players; yet another depressing story of our inability to actually get them to play to their ability.

Sound familiar?

I seem to remember when Sir Ron was manager the Mail reported he had upset some travellers who reputedly cursed Villa Park. How long do these curses last ‘cos time’s passing?

Bill Pearson January 13, 2019 at 8:14 pm .

I thought it was the Scum Hitch that got the curse, if your right that explains it, off to get my church going friends to start a exorcism next week , need all of you to attend.

Hitchens60 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 pm .

I may have mis remembered Bill curse of old age LOL

Holte66 January 13, 2019 at 7:19 pm .

Might be worth getting a priest in rather than new players to exorcise the curse. I never would have thought that I would miss Doug Ellis being in charge but we were definitely better run. I don’t trust foreign ownership. They just don’t have the club at heart. They always come in making the right noises before they lose interest and chase their next big thing.

nath January 13, 2019 at 7:58 pm .

just throwing this out there.

ppl have been posting about clark or ohare. but there is another kid who is just as good as other squad players in his position, Jake Doyle-Hayes looked a proper prospect last season. he can operate just in front of the defence, he always offers himself and is a great passes and doesn’t need to take a touch to control. we used whelen and bjarnason and both have their limitations. one can pass and other just isn’t a DM. when grealish is fit hourihane plays there and he is also a liability playing back there. so why not blood the kid there he has the game to play there just needs time to adjust to 1st. surely smith needs to use him or send him out on loan to gain that experience

Pat 57 January 14, 2019 at 12:42 pm .

Looks like MON is returning to his roots –

MON at Forest should make the Championship even more interesting.

Badger123 January 14, 2019 at 6:26 pm .

MON won’t achieve anything at Forest.
      As much as I like him, he’s yesterday’s man.

Pat 57 January 14, 2019 at 7:22 pm .

Badger, I didn’t say he’d achieve anything just that it would be interesting to see what happens.

Personally I think you should never go back, he’s been out of managing a team day-in, day-out for some time now and I personally think it will be hard for him to get back into that way of working.

His career path should have been to quit Ireland and take it easy by becoming a pundit on the TV. Bad move all around for Forest I think but probably not so bad for the teams around them.

Badger123 January 14, 2019 at 7:54 pm .

Agreed Pat. Never go back.
          Although I have done this sucessfully myself, a couple of times.
          I’ve never left under a cloud though, which is probably the difference.

Except I think MON loves it, which is to be admired.
          You’re right, he could probably get similar money doing punditry.

Badger123 January 14, 2019 at 6:24 pm .

Micah Richards to Celtic?

I’d love that, as even he could probably do a job there.
    But we’d probably still be paying 90% of his wages.

Nah, Rogers wouldn’t be that daft would he?

Hitchens60 January 14, 2019 at 7:05 pm .

Isn’t he out of contract in the summer – so any loan move now is fairly inconsequential?

Badger123 January 14, 2019 at 7:13 pm .

It depends how much of his wages we don’t have to pay him and anything Celtic might pay him is a bonus.

In other news, Wagner sacked at Huddersfield.
        Which given a fair few Villa fans wanted him before we appointed Bruce, it makes you wonder how long any manager who might get us promoted would get on, if we struggled in the Prem?

It’s stuff like this that does actually make me think managers are worth their wages.
        It’s one of the most brutal jobs out there, imo.

I mean, Huddersfield in the Prem?
        Who’d have thought it a few years back?

Pat 57 January 14, 2019 at 7:29 pm .

I think that Wagner did all he could and probably more.

Huddersfiled weren’t prepared for the Prem and it was only team spirit that kept them up. It might actually have been better if they’d gone down last season and kept Wagner on for a rebuild.

As it is I think Wagner’s burnt himself out and Huddersfield are a dead duck. They’ll be in the Championship next season and probably with a worse manager.

A reminder to Villa fans to be careful what you wish for.

Badger123 January 14, 2019 at 7:37 pm .

Agreed Pat and that’s my point.
            He’s excelled, yet will still seen as a failure.
            Very harsh when you put things in context, but that’s the way it is nowadays.

You can bet your boots Huddersfield will freefall now.

Holte66 January 14, 2019 at 8:13 pm .

Huddersfield are doomed for relegation. To be honest they have performed a miracle to get there and stay there for a while. Who better then to get them promoted next season than David Wagner? A very short sighted decision, and one that makes me think that Dean Smith can’t afford a bad run. If we drop into the bottom half considering the next few games then even he won’t be safe. Personally I want him to turn things round but football is a fickle business.

Badger123 January 14, 2019 at 9:39 pm .

Which is the point that I was trying to make in the headline post, Holte.

I’m concerned that Smith will be sacked for what we do this season.

While I’ve no doubt that i’ll be calling for his head, myself, if we prove to be poor this season (I’m an everyday fan too, after all), it really shouldn’t be that way.

Smith is a Villa fan and a good bet, in that he really cares for the club.

He has to be given every chance.

The difficult part for us fans is, that I think he’ll need that chance.
      And we generally won’t be willing to give it to him.

If Smith doesn’t show some sign of improvement in the next few months, he’ll be gone, imo.

It’s crazy, really.

Hitchens60 January 15, 2019 at 7:41 am .

I fear you’re right Badger. Smith might be a life long Villa fan but there’s no room for sentiment in modern football.

How long will it be until a section of Villa fans start calling for Wagner or Rowett to be appointed – in this world of immediacy, patience, it would seem, is a dying art!