Boro 0 – 3 Villa; I called this one well wrong!

Hmm.
“Sid Cowans love child” suggested my having very little faith in our defence after the Forest game was a bit premature, given that we hadn’t conceded many previously.
How right he was!
In my defence, it was just that I was thinking that we’d find defending against the “better” teams a bit more of a problem, as much as I think we’re excellent in attack.

I didn’t see the game, but managed to listen to the last 15 minutes or so on WM.
And the consensus was that this game was practically easy.
The brief reading I’ve done on here and elsewhere seems to back this up. Which is crazy in a really good way!

Boro had only conceded 10 goals before this, yet we’ve put 3 past them and the commentary was saying that the home team had given up.
It would seem we’ve battered the opposition, away from home, just as we did at Derby.
My god, this excites me.
If we can beat Boro and Derby so easily on their own turf, as well as put 5 past Forest, I have to wonder who there is in this league that we need to be scared of?

Is it new manager syndrome?
I very much doubt it and every game seems to demonstrate more and more how Steve Bruce had totally misread our squad.
Was it because he’d seen the state we were in when he arrived and didn’t trust the players?
Who knows? But he’s looking more like a total mug as every game passes.

I don’t want to get carried away, but things are looking really good at the moment.
I remember saying a few weeks back that we were facing a very tough period of games against local sides and that I was concerned that we’d get very little out of them.
Well, we’ve played a few of them and done very well.

It’s Albion up next, followed by Stoke I think.
If we can get say, 4 points from those 2 games, well even doubtful me would have to concede that we’d have a very good chance of getting promoted. If we were to get 6, we’d be beginning to look invincible, just as Wolves were last season.

Not that I want to run before I walk.
We’ve been kicked in the teeth too many times, haven’t we?

But it just seems to me that even if we do have major doubts at the back, we have the fire power to see our way out of trouble. So much so, that many teams won’t be able to live with us.
“We’ve blown them away” is a comment I saw for tonight’s game and that takes some doing against a Pulis side.

And even if we end up not getting the points we want in the next month, as long as it doesn’t prove disastrous (and I can’t see it), we’re still well in touch with the top group.

I heard a good comment on WM, where it was pointed out that if you need 2 points a game to get promoted, there’s only Norwich that have (just) managed it, up till now.
Our recent history says we’re well on course.

Add a couple of replacements in January, that we all know we need, plus look at the depth of our squad, especially attack-wise and we’re sitting very pretty indeed.

The question that was asked on WM was “Have Villa got a manager who can take them to the Prem?”

I suspect we might well have.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 10
  1. Pat 57 December 2, 2018 at 12:42 pm . Reply

Just reflecting on the game I honestly think that Villa were quite like Barcelona yesterday in the way they played. Now before you all start shouting I’m not getting carried away and I’m not saying that we’re anywhere near the quality of a team that includes players like Messi, Busquets, Suarez and the rest.

What was similar though was –
    – Every player seemed to be comfortable on the ball and were willing to accept and hold the ball until a good, usually forward, pass could be achieved. In Bruce’s team I often felt that the ball must have been red hot as no-one wanted to hang onto it

– They played a possession game (nearly two thirds in an away game!) and, like Barca, it was almost like they smothered the other team into submission at times

– We made bucket loads of chances. Boro couldn’t have moaned if the score was 6-0

It was a great team performance and, like Derby, I expect Boro to do well in their next game proving that it probably wasn’t a bad performance by them but a great one by us.

UTV

2. Holte66 December 2, 2018 at 2:03 pm . Reply

We could be developing a fear mentality for opposition teams based on how many goals we are rattling in. If you were coming up against Villa how committed would you be going forward? Smith has set up to be offensive in every game. Forest and Middlesbrough are totally different in styles but we approached both games the same way. Will Albion go toe to toe? I think they will because they are the highest scorers so should make for an entertaining game.

3. Bill Pearson December 2, 2018 at 2:20 pm . Reply

We have to remember our coaching staff are different and that means a lot to a team. I was keeping an eye on Dean and Terry and can say there’s a good feeling in that camp. Friday night will be interesting we’ve had some terrible times in injuries from them in the past.

1. Pat 57 December 2, 2018 at 3:30 pm . Reply

Bill,
      To illustrate how a manager can make a difference just looking at the Arsenal v Spurs game and, with most of the same players, the football being played under Emery is unrecognisable to the stale rubbish when they were under Wenger.

Really great game, almost as good as Villa’s 🙂

4. Bill Pearson December 2, 2018 at 4:20 pm . Reply

Pat,
    I’m watching all them matches and yes all Derby games with energy. I’m not so sure on that Pat ,Wenger lost the dressing room in the last 3 years and cannot take away his record.

1. Pat 57 December 2, 2018 at 4:29 pm . Reply

Bill,
      Yes Wenger was great for quite a while and he has a great record but the teams he put out for the last 2-3 years played rubbish football.

Keeping the dressing room onside is probably the number one skill that a manager needs. Wenger just totally lost the plot…as did Bruce at the Villa.

5. Bill Pearson December 2, 2018 at 8:15 pm . Reply

Ok, its gone quiet, what you you think of this,
    Aston Villa have reportedly offered James Collins a short-term contract to help out their defence.

According to The Daily Mail, Collins will sign a five-week contract with Aston Villa to see them through the busy December period.

But when his contract expires in January, the Villans will have an interesting decision to make.

Should they reward Collins with an extension until the end of the season (or beyond) or should they recall Tommy Elphick instead?

In James Chester and Axel Tuanzebe, Dean Smith has his set centre-back partnership.

But with a lack of depth in that department, Aston Villa may be left short with plenty of games coming up in December

Let’s give it a try.

6. Pat 57 December 3, 2018 at 2:34 am . Reply

According to the Mail Villa is negotiating with Chelsea to make sure that they’ve got Tammy for the season. JT is carrying out the talks which is clever as he knows the club so well.

We can only hope. It sounds as if he’s really happy at VP and doesn’t want to go back to Stamford Bridge to come on for the last five minutes of the odd game when neither Morata or Giroud have their shooting boots on. As Loftus-Cheek got a goal yesterday then I’m hoping that Sarri decides that they don’t need him.

Here’s hoping.

7. Adam December 3, 2018 at 6:54 am . Reply

Abraham would be a big loss! We need him all season. He looks settled and you can tell he is loving life here..i saw him pointing at the badge when he scored recently, Not the same as kissing it but think it shows he wants to be at Villa and if he gets us up would we be able to keep him?? The football we play is so refreshing to see. For many many years i have wanted us to play like we are. Dean Smith is a hero already! He has turned us around very quickly and its very exciting to think, how much better can we get!!??

1. Originallondonlion December 4, 2018 at 12:11 am . Reply

I think that if Chelsea recall Abraham, in order to play him in the EPL, they have to get rid of an existing squad player. That might prove difficult as a sale, so maybe they would have to swap and give us Morata or Giroud.

8. Bill Pearson December 3, 2018 at 6:24 pm . Reply

FA cup draw tonight BBC Villa number 3 7.30 pm.

9. Bill Pearson December 3, 2018 at 6:26 pm . Reply

Live BBC 1 7 .30 . Cup draw .