After watching Spain-Portugal, I don’t think I understand the game anymore.

So I’ve just watched the above and I’m somewhat lost in my thinking.

Footy was always a simple game when I was younger.
The whole idea is to get the ball in the net more times than the opposition, is what I was taught as a 4 year old.

It’s a simple aim, isn’t it?
And the most successful attacking side wins. Easy peasy.

So why did I feel that I was watching a totally alien game this evening?
It’s probably to do with teams trying to constantly attack and win the bloody game, I reckon.
Just as you’re supposed to do.

I’ll bet I’m not alone in wondering why some teams feel the need to constantly pass the ball sideways and backwards.
Indeed, it’s no wonder I’ve got very little hair left, after watching the Villa over the last few years.

But it seems it’s endemic in our domestic game and is probably why I don’t think England have a hope in hell of winning the World Cup.
The English game, while it has plenty of blood and guts, is nowhere near dynamic enough in it’s play.

And if you asked me who our best shot at England manager would be to actually win a tournament, there is only one in our game.

Jurgen Klopp.

He plays the game as it should be played.
Attacking, with a smile on his face, even if he loses.

Southgate?
He’s an FA groomed puppet. A total non-achiever and the perfect example of why England don’t have a prayer of achieving anything in this tournament.

To be honest, I wonder why I watch British footy at all.
Oh, er, I don’t, unless it’s the Villa.

To be honest, it bores me witless.
Because we’ve forgotten what the game is about; which is winning, as opposed to not losing.

1. nath June 16, 2018 at 4:12 pm . Reply

england chances are slim. we lack in our defence and i feel we will struggle against well organised defences to break them down.we are also poor from corners for and against. but we do have enthusiastic players all eager to prove everybody wrong. they do have good energy and pace.

watching iceland against argies. the way they shut down the argy attack is the way we had to shut out fulham at wembley. notice how iceland closed down the space in front of their back-line. Argentina miles better than fulham at picking their way through defences and they struggled to get behind iceland or pick their passes through them.

2. Originallondonlion June 16, 2018 at 5:23 pm . Reply

I have to agree with Sidforever. As a Scotsman I view the England team with a degree of detachment. This current squad has engaged me more than any for the last 20 years. I think they have a much sharper attack than England normally have. Add to that they have several players in the squad to defend that I do not think are up to it e.g. Young, Jones and Delph. So I see no option but to play attacking football.

The factor that makes football the compelling spectator sport that it is, is that it is so difficult to score. That allows a game like Iceland v Argentina to be a gripping spectacle and produce a draw. Such mismatched teams at Basketball or Rugby would always result in a win for the better side.

3. Hitchens60 June 16, 2018 at 9:39 pm . Reply

Enjoyed reading all the opinions – still in Madrid where I didn’t even realise that Spain were playing last night – read into that what you will.

What has interested me far more than the over hyped, over priced, World Cup is that, despite all the problems at Villa, season ticket sales have just hit 20,000. What brilliant supporters we have – it’s down to you Dr T not to let them down.

UTV

4. DSVilla June 18, 2018 at 12:44 pm . Reply

More stories of Xia desperately trying to raise cash from outside investment. What seems clear is that he doesn’t have the money to invest himself. The fact that he struggled to raise a few million to pay off HMRC should tell everyone that we are up against the wall here.

The problem is, anyone investing millions will need to do a serious amount of checking ahead of investing, and it is unlikely that we have much time. I am really worried about this, and feel that we are odds on to enter administration.

1. Hitchens60 June 18, 2018 at 3:55 pm . Reply

DS – sadly I have to agree that administration is a real possibility unless Villa (Xia) can find a substantial injection of cash. Despite the media hype, this has absolutely nothing to do with meeting FFP rules but simply the business has run out of cash. I keep saying – forget FFP rules, they cannot bring the club down but lack of cash can and will if Xia cannot find a significant cash investment or sell the business.

My issue with the latter is that if I were a prospective buyer knowing Villa’s position, I would wait for administration and then seek to buy it at a lower price from the Administrator. I did it once in business by pulling out of a negotiated deal at £5m, which forced administration and I then not only acquired the (very good) business for £750k but was able to leave the real risky bits with the Administrator!

1. DSVilla June 18, 2018 at 10:32 pm . Reply

Agreed. FFP is irrelevant and is clearly a smokescreen. I agree about the administration to a point (and have been through the same process as yourself). The difference would be the punishment to the club would be a points deduction and therefore damage the clubs prospects.

1. Hitchens60 June 19, 2018 at 7:06 am . Reply

Accept your point DS and had been thinking about the 10 point deduction that would follow but I think (not entirely sure) that the FFP slate would be ‘wiped clean’ so (if true) the new owners would not be under pressure to sell our best players. I would back us to stay up even with a -10 point start.

Anyway it’s all hypothesis at the moment.

1. DSVilla June 19, 2018 at 9:32 am .

Sorry Hitch I wasn’t clear there. What I was thinking was that the points deduction would effectively end any (slim) hope of promotion next season rather than threaten relegation. A prospective new owner would presumably think twice and pay less if they knew we were consigned to the Championship for at least the next season.

As you say, all speculation.

5. Rocky1 June 18, 2018 at 5:10 pm . Reply

This all very worrying, so why has no one come out and given us fans the full story. If the rumours are correct and we have no reason to believe they are not then Xia is a total fraud and should be sent packing as soon as possible. As we all know unless we start hearing some better news and the longer this drags on the fans will turn on him. We all know you loose the fans and your a dead man walking.
    Tell us the truth and quick AND SORT OUT YOUR MESS OUT BEFORE WE START THE SEASON ALREADY POINTS ADRIFT.
    Remember this is our GREAT Club you are just a temporary custodian who promised so much but has nothing to back this up.

6. Bill Pearson June 18, 2018 at 6:06 pm . Reply

Rocky, like your thinking, Dont think for one minute I’m turning on Xia , he took a gamble on Villa and lost, we must have been on the verge of receivership a few years back, why didn’t he make it known to the club instead of giving wages that we could not afford, he must have been that unknowable of the game he’s been railroaded. I fear for our club now because the knives are out to ruin our Great Villa Park, all this talk about name change making me worry.

1. Rocky1 June 19, 2018 at 12:16 pm . Reply

Bill
      Surely though if Xia had all his eggs in the promotion at all costs basket the money would not have been given out straight away by the EPL? i would have thought that this would be drip fed to clubs throughout the season and not given as a cash lump sum up front?
      The problem is we have a short term cash flow problem and to me promotion would not have changed anything now. Unless Xia would then be able to borrow on that EPL payments. To have the money just dry up is inexcusable and to be honest we should as a club of our size be financially sound enough to cover the costs of the players in our squad that we had at our disposal last season.
      With the crowds we pulled in on average 33000 per game plus.
      For me this is total mismanagement and the busk lies at Xia’s door. What he needs to realise is you get your house in order first, but you do not buy in to a football club expecting to make money, the intention is you have to spend some of your own money to get where you want to be, and hopefully turn it in to a viable business that will bring in a return, but not straight away.

1. Bill Pearson June 19, 2018 at 1:22 pm . Reply

Totally agree Rocky 1, you cannot tell me he wasn’t aware of Villas plight in the early stage of him taking control. If he did then he’s a man in business that gambles and got there by luck. We should never be in this shit, a few years ago we was one of the richest club in England if not the world, so how the hell we are now broke.I would check the books on the last decade of Villa trading.

7. badger123 June 18, 2018 at 11:21 pm . Reply

Ah, Hitch has called this pretty well.

What price would you give that we go into administration and another Chinese company (somehow related to Xia) buys us up?

I’m laughing about all this, because as I keep saying, we will NOT go tits up.

I’m being taken the piss out of, from all sides, from other club’s fans, but when I tell them that the game will not allow us to fold totally, they have no argument whatsoever. They all know we need to be involved.

Sod the big six. We started the first big twelve and everyone knows it.

We’ll be ok.

And folding us would be like folding the Bank of England.
    We are genuinely part of football history, as much as some of you might not see it.
    Trust me, it just wouldn’t suit the books overall.

1. DSVilla June 19, 2018 at 2:09 pm . Reply

The situation with Villa is probably different to that Hitch experienced, and the one that I went through too. It appears that a number of parties have expressed an interest in Aston Villa. If the club now enters administration, since those parties have already declared an interest, they would legally be entitled to bid. That makes it different to the way many of these deals happen behind closed doors, and a deal is done without other potentially interested parties knowing what is happening. The first they find out is when the new owner is announced. That new owner is usually the same owner, or someone closely connected as they have the inside info.

1. Hitchens 60 June 19, 2018 at 4:11 pm . Reply

You’re right DS – we did have an inside track although other bids were made. The administrator wanted to go to court- file the administration and sell the business all in one session. I think it’s called a closed pack deal. Administrators always want to find a buyer quickly.

1. DSVilla June 19, 2018 at 9:18 pm . Reply

Agreed. I have a horrible feeling this is what is going to happen. It also means we will be sold to anyone who has the cash handy so can wrap up the deal quickly.

8. Bill Pearson June 20, 2018 at 12:40 pm . Reply

A bit of good news at last in finding money,

Aston Villa owner Tony Xia could sell his shares, or put the Championship side up for sale, as he searches for investment options to help the club.

It is reported Villa need about £40m to comply with Financial Fair Play.

Earlier this month Villa reached an agreement with HM Revenue & Customs after missing a £4m payment, but another is due at the end of the week.

Documents on Companies House show shares can be sold and a restriction on Villa’s sale has been lifted.

The documents, which now allow new investment to be generated either by the sale of shares or the club, were signed on 25 May – the day before the play-off final at Wembley.

Chinese businessman Xia, 41, warned of “severe Financial Fair Play challenges” after Villa lost to Fulham in the Championship play-off final in May, costing them a potential £160m in future revenue

1. Saddened June 20, 2018 at 4:42 pm . Reply

Bill we are in a worst state than when Lerner lost interest, hiding behind the curtains when the tax man is at the door – if it wasn’t so disturbing it would be laughable.
      He has gambled the existence of our club and this is unforgivable – he needs to sell up now – we don’t give a monkeys about him losing face in China 🙁

1. Bill Pearson June 20, 2018 at 4:56 pm . Reply

I understand your frustrations Saddened its as bad as mine, he has that option to sell or slap in his shares, both ways its bad for the club in bringing humiliation to the name of Aston Villa.this what’s gone on is not just happened, it’s time to dig into the club’s trading over the last 10 years, we was one of the richest clubs once by being 11th, what’s gone on, 11 million to O’Neal and he walked, and that’s not counting the other twats we had.I think the fraud squad needs to take a look.it’s disgusting to say the least.

2. Hitchens 60 June 20, 2018 at 4:44 pm . Reply

Bill – forget FFP – this is about cash flow which is far more worrying.

1. Bill Pearson June 20, 2018 at 6:10 pm . Reply

Hitch, I know that its what I’m getting at , the assets they had has in some way gone over the last 10 years, bad accounting by who? Someone knows more than they are saying, Doug is too feeble to pop up and ask that question, he made a statement that whoever takes over do not sell the assets, how come we are now in the mess we are. We been having large gates, the sales are up on merchandise, and still cannot make the books balance, who is responsible. We’ve been robbed in someway.

9. Rocky1 June 20, 2018 at 5:09 pm . Reply

I have given up completely with the Chinese. I have just been down to the China Palace to complain that my chicken in black bean sauce was rubbery and the cheeky fucker said ” I glad yo wiked it mister wocky”

UTV

10. nath June 20, 2018 at 6:58 pm . Reply

i said we were in the brown stuff and i was being dramatic. but reading posts since i last appeared and seems like you all realise that. doesn’t matter the details we are in shit whether its cash flow or no money or even ffp and running costs which dwarf our income.

if drX stays he will asset strip. if he finds funds to see out this season we will still have to sell star players or player ie grealish. we are in a mess. the good drX seems to have no intentions on ploughing more funds in. i believe that his backers are not willing to throw good money after bad. he will try to sell or cut his losses before the banks and other creditors come calling for their dough.

even the loan he just secured to pay the tax bills, was against the tv money of this season. i hear villa fans say don’t believe the papers or other news outlets but nobody is speaking to the fans from the club it stinks.

1. Saddened June 20, 2018 at 7:06 pm . Reply

Completely agree Nath and Bill, gates are up, season ticket sales are up, merchandising is up – but the club have to borrow money just to pay a tax bill which they knew was on its way – What an absolute bunch of amateurs.
      Who signed off the fit and proper person of the Doctor as it sounds like he hasn’t got a pot to pee in and is hiding in china – exactly the same as Lerner !!

1. DSVilla June 20, 2018 at 8:14 pm . Reply

I would be pretty worried if I had bought a season ticket, unless on a credit card. I can’t believe we have got to this position. The money in football attracts all kinds of chancers. Even if we get rid of this one we are more likely to get another one than a proper owner.

1. Rocky1 June 20, 2018 at 9:08 pm . Reply

DSVilla
          Too late I have bought mine in April before this crap came to light. But I am just one of 20000+ that have been led by our ultimate desire to follow our team. The fans never let the club down it is the custodians of our Great club that let us down big time.
          The lack of a statement from the club and the owner in particular is woeful and he has ultimately shot him self in the foot, as the majority of Villa fans want him out and quick so there is no going back he has blown it and can never be trusted again.