After watching Spain-Portugal, I don’t think I understand the game anymore.

So I’ve just watched the above and I’m somewhat lost in my thinking.

Footy was always a simple game when I was younger.
The whole idea is to get the ball in the net more times than the opposition, is what I was taught as a 4 year old.

It’s a simple aim, isn’t it?
And the most successful attacking side wins. Easy peasy.

So why did I feel that I was watching a totally alien game this evening?
It’s probably to do with teams trying to constantly attack and win the bloody game, I reckon.
Just as you’re supposed to do.

I’ll bet I’m not alone in wondering why some teams feel the need to constantly pass the ball sideways and backwards.
Indeed, it’s no wonder I’ve got very little hair left, after watching the Villa over the last few years.

But it seems it’s endemic in our domestic game and is probably why I don’t think England have a hope in hell of winning the World Cup.
The English game, while it has plenty of blood and guts, is nowhere near dynamic enough in it’s play.

And if you asked me who our best shot at England manager would be to actually win a tournament, there is only one in our game.

Jurgen Klopp.

He plays the game as it should be played.
Attacking, with a smile on his face, even if he loses.

Southgate?
He’s an FA groomed puppet. A total non-achiever and the perfect example of why England don’t have a prayer of achieving anything in this tournament.

To be honest, I wonder why I watch British footy at all.
Oh, er, I don’t, unless it’s the Villa.

To be honest, it bores me witless.
Because we’ve forgotten what the game is about; which is winning, as opposed to not losing.

1. Hitchens60 June 23, 2018 at 7:10 am . Reply

Posts now showing straightaway Badger

1. badger123 June 23, 2018 at 6:05 pm . Reply

Cheers Hitch.
      Shows what the experts know.
      But while it’s a temporary solution, I’ll have to dig deeper to see if I can find what’s causing it.

2. nath June 23, 2018 at 7:34 am . Reply

nobody in their right mind wants to sell grealish. he is our only hope of promotion, but the owner won’t gamble anymore on villa, he is trying to recover the money hes lost, before he does a disappearing act. seems like this could get a whole lot messier and worse for villa if their is no sale of the club.

in my opinions while we are running at loses unsustainable now because the drX and his backers don’t want to be in a business which is losing money. wages alone sound like they are gonna cripple us. then the taxes on the loans hes taking out against the club assets could ruin us and any future sales of club.

when i said we were in the brown stuff ages ago i didn’t think it would happen so quickly. also dsvilla has already posted, clubs wanting grealish will play us like fools over the price of grealish. they know we are wanting to sell and they will just not hurry the deal. they will see it out, until last day of transfer window. knowing we will get more desperate and that will hand them a big advantage in the dealings.

fubar

3. Bill Pearson June 23, 2018 at 9:06 am . Reply

It’s pretty obvious now we run with our second side and hope tthey’ll bail us out of this problematic situation, we can also now resign to the fact we will be in the championships for a very long time. Compensation for Body More and the sale of assets might keep us going, I wonder if they introduce the buying of shares again , which ever way we look at it we’re in a tight situation.

4. nath June 23, 2018 at 3:49 pm . Reply

i will get shot for saying this. but i think the championship will be good for villa. we have a great youth side, once we realise that and start blooding them and not be afraid of doing this,when we get promoted, we’ll be a far stronger side for this.

we should be looking to lower the wages in the short time, this could take years to achieve. from our youth team and other youth teams around the world, we should be able to attract good young players,which to build a side from the ground up. we will be able to offer these younger players a platform to showcase their skills,

but we really need a owner and somebody running the show with some stability. somebody whos not gonna put all our resources all in and have nothing else planned if that fails.

who ever has been handing out the contracts needs sacking if hes still around. we can’t pay wages that will ruin us. we can attract decent players on miles less than we are paying now.

for example that bree looks a good player. but one season only experience and hes got a pay rise from 3k to 20k plus. that tishbola paying 5mill for him when we have our own youth players which to me look better prospects. plus his wages make him unsellable. we always seem to make more mistakes off field than on

1. DSVilla June 23, 2018 at 5:36 pm . Reply

I actually don’t disagree with you about Villa in the Championship. Where I would take issue is that last year you didn’t think the youngsters were up to it. Since most of them didn’t get that much pitch time I fail to see, other than Davis, how they will be better equipped this year. Will be nice to see them have a chance though.

1. nath June 23, 2018 at 7:12 pm . Reply

i don’t think the youngsters were up to it. but we need to play them and improve them. if we play the whole 11 youth team next year, we will be relegated you can be sure of that. but you can mix them up with experience players. we have a handful of potential players.

green davis will be ready next year. then we have maybes in clark lydon hayes ohare taylor murphy. they wasn’t ready last year, they can all play bit part roles and we shouldnt suffer too much. suliman and kirdy both went out to league two and failed to make impact, but that should be a wake up call to them and others.

i would rather see us blood the youth and get them fast tracked finish midtable than pay millions in wages to finish same place and not blood any youth. cause without grealish we will be mid table to bottom i reckon

green is not much a downgrade on odomah, davis has already shown he is capable. i seen alot of hayes he can play, but and its a big but. youth football they don’t tackle, in the championship can hayes stand up to the physical side. he was skinny last year. he might just get swept away. bypassed but if he can handle that side, he is better midfielder than hourihane and lansbury jedi etc.

taylor is another player who could make the step up, strong lad who loves to make driving runs beating him fullback, he will be good last 20 minute player to be introduced slowly

5. Bill Pearson June 23, 2018 at 5:46 pm . Reply

The way we going Nath we won’t have a field to play on, its got to go back to the days when footballers up and coming play the game to progress in life, bringing in players looking to get the best wage at the end of their football careers didn’t work, we also need a owner thats hands on, not one that on the end of a phone.things have to change drastically at the club, I don’t know what’s happening with Bruce but he needs to be alive to both teams and use young players that show promises.

6. nath June 23, 2018 at 7:27 pm . Reply

also that doyles hayes is a team player. by that i mean he knits the team together links up defence midfield and attack. he spray the ball around without a care. he alway makes himself available for pass he just needs the time to adjust from youth tippy tappy stuff. others in the squad might be just needing a game. its a big preseason to stake a claim for a shirt.