Wolves 2 – 0 Villa; That was poor

You know your side is struggling when both strikers get subbed off and Hutton looks your most attacking player, don’t you?

Good grief, I thought that game was horrendous and we came away with what we deserved, which was absolutely nothing.

It’s genuinely not sour grapes against Wolves, as I have nothing at all against them, but I really don’t think they were as good as Sky seemed to be making out. It’s more that I thought we made it far too easy for them.

Don’t get me wrong, for the first half I found myself often wondering if we might do a smash and grab, but always had the nagging doubt that you just can’t play a game constantly defending and expect to not concede.
And when Wolves did score, you just knew it was game over.

What’s annoyed me most is the fact that our midfield was totally non-existent and created nothing. Well, it couldn’t could it, when it was just an extension of our defence?
You have to blame Bruce for that, as that’s no doubt how he set us up.
That said, there are mitigating circumstances as we were without a recognised Left back, which was always going to cause us a problem.
Adomah was basically totally nullified because he had to spend too much time covering the position and without his threat I though we didn’t look balanced.
Of course, you have to ask who left us with only one Left back in the first place?

So Wolves got the goal and then eased off somewhat, which seemed to let us back in the game. Not that we offered any major threat, a Snodgrass free kick apart. And we got caught again in what might have been a more realistic situation if we’d played how we should have in the first place.

I said I’d be ok with losing this one, but never for one minute did I think we’d make it so easy for them.
In fact, I’m struggling to think of when we last demonstrated such a lack of intent in a Derby.

That was poor. Piss poor.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
  1. Owen October 15, 2017 at 7:25 pm . Reply

How bad we made Rotherham under Di Matteo…..they were down a month before the end of the season ๐Ÿ˜‚

1. Andrew October 15, 2017 at 11:09 pm . Reply

Are we not smart enough to understand the example given? Being happy to beat Burton is like being happy when we beat Rotherham. My word, step up your game bucko.

2. VillaAwayInDiv3 October 15, 2017 at 9:39 pm . Reply

Do Wolves remind anyone apart from me of Leicester…..run run run…quick passing and a top striker (then)……also stronger than most of the opposition.
    Saw Blues on Friday and then out Cardiffed Cardiff …so them will steamroller us ….we will need 10 Gabby types…..

3. VillaAwayInDiv3 October 15, 2017 at 10:14 pm . Reply

Bruce says the Villa need stability……YES but not in this division……would be O.K. if we were mid table all the time in Prem……

4. Andrew October 15, 2017 at 11:12 pm . Reply

Reading Bruce’s comments is about as awful as reading the Bruce apologists comments. At least he’s doing it because he’s desperately trying to keep a high paying job he’s not qualified for, the others are simply deluded.

“You can talk about systems and formations, but we didn’t do enough”
    “I hope we’re a top six team. Yes, I think we should be good enough.”

After a year I would think he should’ve stabilized us… Two transfer markets and other than the back up left back he wanted, we got everyone he personally wanted. And yet he still can’t get it right…

5. owen October 16, 2017 at 10:39 am . Reply

i was happy when we beat burton and when we beat rotherham because i havent got miserable bastards disease – we will make top 6 and that’s all we can hope for with this team.

1. jvillan October 16, 2017 at 12:52 pm . Reply

that is possibly one saddest post put up on here,bruce has assembled this team ,he is the expert in this league so why are we so poor

6. Villain1 October 16, 2017 at 11:37 am . Reply

A good manager would do far better than just aiming for 6th. Its negative and defeatist. With our outlay we should be aiming for automatics and no lower than 2nd. its a sad sight to see some fans accepting the boring old cliches the dinosaurs Bruce and Wyness come out with. I dont even bother listening to what Bruce has to say, when he’s not talking his usual defeatist garbage, he’s having a pop at the fans because he managed to scrape a 1-0 against a dire Bolton side.
    Ultimately even if we scrape 6th and win the play offs (which I don’t think will happen), we’d still need a change of manager.
    The championship has moved on from the Bruce style of managers – the recent successes of Wagner, Nuno, Dyche, Jokanovic amongst illustrates this clearly

7. owen October 16, 2017 at 1:50 pm . Reply

we definitely need a change of manager if we get promoted, the board know that – however they will keep Bruce for as long as possible in the champ – we may finish 3rd we may finish 6th but it will still be in the playoffs – after years of decline i’ll take top 6 this season

incidentally – is being happy with 6th defeatist or positive, depends on how you look at i suppose?

8. originallondonlion October 16, 2017 at 5:19 pm . Reply

I will give SB credit for one thing: honestly admitting we were beaten by a better side on the day.

Wolves were better because their manager with his overseas experience was able to stock the side with better players for the same or less money than Bruce has spent on well known in the UK players.

With the exception of Grealish and the reckless Taylor, Bruce had all his main players available – he still chose to set up his team who had won 4 on the bounce as if they were afraid of Wolves, with a strategy of putting 8 men behind the ball and trying to nick one through the front pair. It failed. It may have been a strategy which failed less badly and less quickly than one of taking the game to Wolves. Either way the team SB built is not good enough.

Across town the Bluenoses have asked to have Josh Taylor from Sutton United on a week’s trial. Since they can’t sign a player until January the attitude that Sutton’s next game is unimportant grates – but at least their scouting network is alive to the odd gold nuggets in the VNL. Villa’s scouts seem to have the blinkers on.