Villa – Sheff Utd; Tough game, this

Some of you might have figured out that I’m the granddad that was mentioned in the replies a while back.
So, yes, we’re making a bit of a family occasion of it and we’re going tonight. Even the missus is coming with us.

For some daft reason, the twins wanted to go in the Witton end North stand. I can’t say I’m keen, as I much prefer the back of the Holte, but there you go, it’ll make a change.

Straight into squad news and the big one is that Grealish won’t be playing, as much as he might want to and thinks he’s ready. Andre Green is training, but I suspect it’s probably too early for him too.
And Lansbury is still miles away, by the sound of it.

Hands up, a little dicky bird has told me the team for today. Whether it ends up being true, is something else, but here it is;

Kalinic
Taylor
Hutton
Elphick
Mings
Hourihane
McGinn
El Ghazi
Kodjia
Abraham
and finally, Jedinak.

Which is probably about what we’d expect, I guess, although you might have thought that Carroll might start.
I’m guessing he’ll be on the bench.

Utd have no problems and any changes will probably just be shuffling the squad.

Sheffield will be well up for this game, as if they win, they’ll go top of the league.
Which demonstrates what a tough proposition this is.

Given that Sheffield play nice football, this should be an entertaining game whatever the result, but I have to be honest and say that I’m not massively confident, especially after our previous meeting.
You never know though. We have weapons that can hurt them and hopefully our defence won’t be so vulnerable.

I’m going for a 1-1 draw, but it’s more in hope than expectation.

1. Texas Johnny February 8, 2019 at 2:36 pm .

Can’t fault most of that prediction, but as we often say, this is the Villa and if they know what to do, it’s continue to surprise. At some point, there’s always a game that is a turn around point, where we say “Didn’t see that coming” and we go on a run. Or it could be a total spanking and we get humble pie. I unfortunately don’t think our midfield has enough for theirs and think 0-2 to the Blades.

2. Hitchens60 February 8, 2019 at 3:08 pm .

Want to predict a win; fear a loss (as we haven’t lost to them at Villa Park in 11 meetings!) so it’s a draw (again) for me.

Statistically, given that Villa are the draw kings (and were in the Prem as well) and that clean sheets at home are as rare as hen’s teeth then it’s the most likely result.

Same as last season then (a game I attended) when we got a dodgy penalty and Jedinak gifted them two goals – 2-2

1. villaawayindiv3 February 8, 2019 at 3:40 pm .

Same sort of game as against Leeds for me…Bo expectations but will take being 2 up and hopefully we have better defence this time.
      Not predicting the score as anything can happen with us…

3. Holte66 February 8, 2019 at 5:53 pm .

I would prefer Bjarnasson or Carroll to Jedinak or Whelan purely for mobility. I don’t expect Hourihane or McGinn to be dropped so it’s 4 players vying for one place. I can see us scoring but they will have too much for us. Expect a Taylor horror show and a 2-1 defeat.

4. Bill Pearson February 8, 2019 at 7:01 pm .

I want us to win badly, can I see it ? not over our past record I car nt, my stomach turning summersalts a the minute thinking about it. We have the Scum on same points even they could get to the play off. I said it will be a draw and I think 1-1 will be the result, hope I’m wrong. Villa make me eat my words.

1. Holte66 February 8, 2019 at 7:24 pm .

Bill, I think Villa will make you eat your words….but for the wrong reason 😞

5. Hitchens60 February 8, 2019 at 7:25 pm .

Team prediction spot on Badger – does your mate predict the lottery numbers? 🙂

6. Holte66 February 8, 2019 at 7:41 pm .

Kodja and El Ghazi need to show up tonight if we are to have a chance. Good to see Green on the bench. Competition for places can only be a good thing. If we can win and get Jack back by end of the month, and Tuanzebe soon after then we are capable of going on a run.

7. Holte66 February 8, 2019 at 7:56 pm .

Can someone mention to our players that the game has started

8. Sidforever February 8, 2019 at 7:57 pm .

Just watching how light weight out midfield is. I hope I eat these words, but we won’t win tonight. Oh no just conceded .

9. Guest February 8, 2019 at 7:58 pm .

Utter utter shit.