Aston Villa win the Cup of Traditions

I know I’ve previously said we shouldn’t set much stall by how we do in friendlies and this tournament doesn’t really mean a lot in the scheme of things, but it’s a trophy, isn’t it?
And it’s not like we win one every day, so it’s something worth shouting about, in my opinion.

The most encouraging thing is that we played pretty well in both games and quite a few players showed encouraging signs of promise for the upcoming season.
To add to the icing, Hogan got a couple, Green got his first, Samba did really well to score from the corner and hey, I’m feeling generous; even Gabby did well to dispossess a player and round the keeper for his goal.

The point is, this should work wonders for the players’ confidence after the setback against Shrewsbury.

The one single player that stood out for me was Bjarnasson.
He ran his guts out and even coped well when he was moved to right-back, after Richards went off injured.
If he carries that on, I might have to change my opinion of him.

Altogether now.
We won the cup, we won the cup…..

Well done lads and UTV!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Hitchens 60 July 25, 2017 at 1:52 pm .

Confirmed Veretout has signed for Fiorentina – didn’t see what fee is involved. Perhaps that frees up a few quid.

johnnyuk July 25, 2017 at 2:50 pm .

Good f****** riddance. Worst attitude I’ve seen of any Villa player in 30 years of supporting. Achieved exactly what and treated us like a dump?

GIDDYVILLAN July 25, 2017 at 3:04 pm .

CNZ takes some beating

johnnyuk July 25, 2017 at 3:09 pm .

Indeed he did. But I think this young lad has him beat unfortunately. What is it about us that brings out the worst in players like this? I don’t see any other top clubs who pay top dollar for less than perfect players having the same luck as us.

Hitchens 60 July 25, 2017 at 3:48 pm .

Did get the impression he didn’t want to be at VP from day 1

Hitchens 60 July 25, 2017 at 3:50 pm .

£6m apparently

Sidforever July 25, 2017 at 4:45 pm .

January Transfer Window

I wonder if monies now received from Vertout and soon to be other ex Villa players will be used for a Winter war chest?

SB has added experienced quality for very little. We assume this is due to the FFP requirements. If things are looking good in January for promotion will this accumulated fund be used to buy a premier standard player, allowing him to settle into the club and hit the ground for the following season. I assume if we do get promoted a number of the current squad will be sold as not being of premier quality.

Hitchens 60 July 25, 2017 at 7:59 pm .

Interesting point Sid and you may well be right