Villa – Hull; I’m almost loathe to post this, but we’ve lost before we kick off

I was reluctant to post before the Wigan game, because I thought we were going to lose.
Maybe I shouldn’t really post this, but I really don’t feel any different for this game. In fact I feel even less optimistic.

If we can’t beat a side that has struggled for weeks, where’s the incentive to bet on us beating a side that’s won six on the trot?
I wouldn’t mind, if we were the sort who can turn things around and reverse the opposition’s runs.
Ooh, correction.
We do. Wigan, after being practically the worst side in the league proved that after whupping us easily.

You might gather that last week royally p*ssed me off.
But it was so poor that I don’t hold a prayer that we’ll win tomorrow.

I’ve thought about this a lot over the last week and d’you know what?
I suspect that it’s exactly as I thought and the players just can’t hack the increased intensity and pace that has been asked of them.
Yet I’ve seen an article today that suggests that the old hands should come straight back in, to shore things up.
You have to laugh.

Squad news, and the OS is useless for this info, as per.
Why does the OS feel like I’m wading through mud? Sackings needed, imo, but I’ve been saying it for ages and the club obviously thinks things are fine, which says a lot to me.

Whatever, the Beeb tell me that Kodjia is fit.
Green is also available.

I don’t give a toss about Hull, but Fraizer Campbell is in contention. I’ve never rated him previously, but he’d probably slice through our awful defence these days.

What to think then?
Well, I have no confidence whatsoever in us winning this one, unless Smith massively changes it up.

Green goes straight in, on the left.
We go two up top, with Kodjia and Abraham.
And we definitely don’t go with Whelan or Jedinak.
Or Taylor or Hause or Bree (unless he’s at CB).

We need pace to play Smith’s game and reverting to the old timers is not the solution.

Which might seem contradictory, seeing as I don’t believe that our kids are our solution in the short term.
But I feel we massively lack pace and something needs to change, given that if we maintain the status quo, we’re going to be on a hiding to nothing and Hull will beat us easily.

Will Smith do it?
No chance.
He’s going to go with “tried and trusted”. Exactly the same as Bruce would have done.
And it’ll see exactly the same result I expect.

Hull to win 2-1, although I’m minded to call it 3-1.

We’ll lack pace and they’ll catch us out all to easily at the back, as we chase the game after going down to an early goal, because we’re quite simply too slow with our defensive game.

I hope I’m wrong.

Bill Pearson January 18, 2019 at 9:05 pm .

I feel just like you Badger, how can we as supporters expect us to win with a team that won’t fight for the club, tomorrow will be the same, don’t matter what the manager’s say we know the players are not up to it. 2-1 Hull.

Holte66 January 18, 2019 at 9:09 pm .

I agree with everything you said in your post Badger. I too think that the likes of Taylor and Whelan will play. We might as well play 9 men rather than these pub players. Maybe we will be surprised and Smith will see that the formation doesn’t work without Grealish. Why not go 2 up top with Abraham alongside Hogan or Kodja. The talk from within is that players want to put right last weeks nightmare show. This annoys me in that they turn up when they want to. They seem to be in their own little bubble with their part of the pride bullshit! Hull will want revenge and will be up for it simply because they are playing Villa. We really need to get real and realise that maybe the players we have aren’t anything special, except for Grealish, Abraham and McGinn, I think the rest are average Championship players. Time for the club to shut up with the talk and show up for once.

Bill Pearson January 18, 2019 at 9:27 pm .

Hear hear Holte, had enough of excuse after excuse, bad player’s cannot hide from true fans.

Bill Pearson January 18, 2019 at 10:32 pm .

Aston Villa have made an offer for French right-back Frédéric Guilbert, sources close to the player have claimed.

Head coach Dean Smith is keen to strengthen his defence this month and Villa have already signed goalkeeper Lovre Kalinic from Gent and centre-back Kortney Hause from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The club are also interested in adding full-backs, although left-back is believed to be a bigger concern for Smith than right-back.

Guilbert has made 18 appearances for Caen in Ligue 1 this season and helped his team to four clean sheets in addition to grabbing two assists.

Is it true I wonder.

Texas Johnny January 19, 2019 at 3:33 am .

I think there’s something in it – and likely to see Hutton leave. Elmo and Bree not cutting it at RB, and feel that both flanks are equally as problematic at the moment.

nath January 19, 2019 at 7:37 am .

back to depressing football. i heard its snowed in Birmingham last night so the game might be called off if bad, could we have a update ?

i see a few are questioning bree and the new guy from wolves. both are young and that is the route we are going and that doesn’t happen over night. Hause first he isn’t a natural full from what i heard hes aleft sided centre back who can play left back. yes he did a shaky debut. but in his defence he has only trained with his new team mates less than a week. he came on as sub which is always hard, especially when the game is against your team. but i saw a guy demanding the ball and wanting it even thou he missed placed a pass minutes before. smith plays out and we need ball playing defenders,he has watched Hause and he has identified him as his type of player. he needs time guys, he also looked much more mobile than we have with exception of axel.

bree i seen before he was at villa and he can play full back and much better than he has for villa, but for some reason or another its not worked at villa. but again hes young and he just needs to have a run at right back with the same players to build up relationships.

if the game goes ahead iam hoping we get a reaction this time. last game was a write off. so much to say which we did wrong and not enough life to say it in. but in short all season not just without grealish, we are too easy to play against. that needs to be addressed. add to that if we then start giving the ball away cheaply, as we started to do. that a recipe for defeats.

i am going for 3 nil to either side bill seriously i am hoping we regain the same belief we got when smith joined. we are not only lost games recently we have not kept the ball and that is down to belief and hard work, i think the squad as enough ability to perform and some reason last two games we have dropped our standards alarmingly yes win for villa 3 nil or 1 or 2 who cares as aslong as we have a home win

p/s having villa let me down on coupon again and again i decided to drop them. maybe that will be the omen for a villa win. i might have cursed them putting them on my lines

Bill Pearson January 19, 2019 at 8:02 am .

Nath, no snow here 20 miles from Birmingham so it looks like game will go on. Nath I don’t see how you can say we haven’t lost games, we have lost games and massive points over the season so far, its enough for any fan to lose faith in player’s, we as Badger pointed out have weak player’s at Villa, I cannot believe we will go up this season and we don’t seem to let the fans know what road we are taking over the young players we have. When I see positive buying selling and loans I will have a different views.

nath January 19, 2019 at 8:43 am .

i never said we never lost games. ????

Bill Pearson January 19, 2019 at 9:06 am .

I opoligise Nath, brain slipped into thinking you was thinking that. nevertheless we are loosing points at a rate we cannot afford. If Birmingham had won last night it would have put them 1 point off play off, terrible thought that.

Hitchens60 January 19, 2019 at 8:39 am .

Just read that we have the 15th best – or worst dependant on your point of view – home record in the Championship. Hardly promotion form.

Under Smith we have won one more home game than under Bruce – but Smith has overseen one more home game anyway. Under Smith we’ve conceded 14 goals in 7 home games – the joint worst in the Championship.

No wonder confidence in today’s result is low.

Hitchens60 January 19, 2019 at 8:45 am .
      Bill Pearson January 19, 2019 at 9:20 am .

Yes Hitch interesting that, Hitch why play players if that’s the case knowing they won’t be at Villa come summer? i.e. Whelan and co, so basically it’s next year we’re looking at, and a younger team.

Bum Bum January 19, 2019 at 8:54 am .

I bet we do. 2-1 Villa.