Villa – Blackburn; surely 3 points? and thoughts on FFP

It’s been a busy couple of weeks, with me going from Birmingham to liverpool, to Cardiff and now to Ireland. Fortunately, it’s helped to keep my mind off football in general and the internationals in particular.
Still, I did watch both the England games and fair play, we look extremely confident and play good football. But I strongly think that any decent team will bring us quickly down to earth.
Whatever, I don’t really care much unless we get to the quarters of an event.

Onto the important stuff and it’s Blackburn at home, which surely has to be a win, doesn’t it?

The big news for us is that Tammy Abraham is fit; as are Axel Tuanzebe and Henri Lansbury, although I don’t see those two starting.

The break has also been beneficial to Rover’s squad and they have Amari’i Bell, Charlie Mulgrew, Darragh Lenihan and Jack Rodwell all available.

So we’re going for our fifth win in five and I really can’t see us not getting it.
Blackburn are in the bottom four of the Championship form table for the last 10 games, home and away. In other words, they really aren’t very good.

Of course, our biggest worry has to be complacency and Dean Smith has done the right thing in talking Blackburn up, although we all know it’s not really convincing.

I don’t believe Smith will change anything up.
The lads that have done so well for us recently, surely have to play until they show they need to be swapped out.

Prediction time then and I’d guess it’s just a matter of us getting the first goal. Once we do that, it could be a decent score, if it’s early.
I really don’t think I’d be massively worried if Blackburn score first.
We have the weapons and ammo to see them off, it’s as simple as that.

I’m going for a 3-1 win.

Oh, here’s an interesting stat, that I’ve nicked from Sky;

“In 26 Championship matches under Dean Smith, Aston Villa have won 69% of their matches when Jack Grealish has featured (W9 D2 L2) compared with just 15% when he hasn’t (W2 D7 L4).”

As for FFP, the scum have my sympathies.
I’m a firm believer that the league table should be decided by results on the pitch and nothing else. The running of the club and what happens on the pitch are two different things, generally, to my mind.
Yes, our owners could go and spend £300 million on players to get us out of this league, but that’s not what’s happened, has it?

I guess you could say we’ve spent (wasted?) big money, but ultimately we’re not in danger of going bust, which is surely what FFP is all about.
Or at least should be.
Christian Purslow has said we’re not at risk and given that he was on the committee that made the rules, you have to take his words at face value.
But it’ll be interesting to see how we actually get round it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    MiffedVillain March 30, 2019 at 3:51 am .

Didn’t want to burst anyone’s bubble but it’s my birthday and we never win on my birthday. Sorry in advance.

Hitchens60 March 30, 2019 at 5:54 am .

Happy birthday miffed – time for a nice present then with a win. Now I’ve jinxed it as well.

Bill Pearson March 30, 2019 at 8:46 am .

Miffed, this is what to do, just think it’s not my Birthday today it was yesterday. I’m a picture of bad luck if I predict the score so I don’t. By the way Happy Birthday Miffed.. have a great day.

nath March 30, 2019 at 8:29 am .

i was so bored over the international week, so relieved its back to normality of proper weekends. just hope the swagger and confidence we had bfore the break hasnt ebbed away.

blackburn has been a solid side and only recently been found out. thats probably down to the small squad, but with the finishing line so close. this might give them the spirit to go again in the words of lambert.

who would be a manager of villa today, smith has a very difficult task, does he stick with the side that has done nothing wrong in last two outings. so tinker to strengthen. i think he might make one change that will be tuanzebe into centre and hause to left back. great to see lansbury back in contention. the style we play nowadays will suit his game.

i do believe blackburn are a good solid side, but i believe our side has found their form and everything has clicked into place. we are going to take some stopping now. 4 1 villa

Holte66 March 30, 2019 at 10:02 am .

Definitely glad international break is over and back to proper football again. I’m taking my lad up today for the first time since Martin O’Neill days. He is 19 now and has suddenly become interested in football again after last World Cup. Hopefully Villa will serve up a good performance to maintain his new found enthusiasm. I’m not predicting a result after not doing so previous 4 games, so don’t want to jinx things. Only concern is our ability to beat the better teams and fail against the teams below us immediately after. Personally I wouldn’t change a winning team but it is a good thing to have Tuanzebe as a back up with Chester, Elphick and Hutton out.

Bill Pearson March 30, 2019 at 3:10 pm .

Goal.. villa elgarzi

Bill Pearson March 30, 2019 at 3:14 pm .

Got it on the box but commentary are Blackburn supporting. playing well lads

Bill Pearson March 30, 2019 at 3:23 pm .

Commentator saying El-Gazi, but it was Abraham. Who scores. Just hit the post Maginn.

Bill Pearson March 30, 2019 at 3:49 pm .

Southgate at the game today why? Oh yes he must have left something in the dressing room when at Villa. Nearly half time and a stream of chances for Villa,
    Still 1-0 should think more goals to come second half. another chance goal ,no off side shame good move.

Bill Pearson March 30, 2019 at 4:23 pm .

Goal- – 2-0

Bill Pearson March 30, 2019 at 4:26 pm .

T Minng got that nice work by Mcginn.