Our lack of goals isn’t down to the strikers; It’s the midfield

Apparently there’s some England game coming up, which is frankly annoying and just disturbs the proper footy season, to my mind.
So yesterday I asked a question about Westwood and I don’t think it was really answered.
The consensus seemed to be that he’s “Ok”, which somehow seems acceptable?

In my opinion, “Ok” just isn’t good enough.
You have to have more than that about you if you’re to compete in the Prem or even the Championship.
I agree he seems “professional” and works hard, but that would be the minimum requirement for any footballer.
Above that, he offers nothing and that’s what’s contributed to our slow demise over recent years.

I firmly believe our midfield is the biggest weak point in our side.
Many games are won and lost in the middle.
While our midfield creates nothing and doesn’t help the defence either.
Like it or not, I believe we were massively weakened when the snake left, because he was the only one in the middle who had anything about him.
Fair enough, he might have been rash in his tackles at times, but he was effective and was able to change the pace of a game whether moving us forward or just killing it when we were seriously threatened. It’s why Man City bought him, after all and I never understood the dislike of him, even before he left.

Anyway, that’s a separate rant, where some might say the snake hasn’t been integral at Man City, which would be fair enough. To which I’d answer that they still bought him though. Who else have we had in the middle that City would even have glanced at, over the last few years?

The point is it’s no good complaining about the full backs not putting decent crosses in, if the midfield are absolute gash and don’t contribute with goals or at least chances.
And Westwood is a major part of this problem.
I have to say Gardner, as much as I love him, has never looked like a possible solution either.

Hopefully Jedinak and Tshibola will greatly improve us in this area and Westwood won’t get a look in.
But if he does, apart from being a last resort back up, we won’t achieve anything, no matter what we do, because this sort of player quite simply isn’t good enough.

I’ll try and make that my last word about a very average player, who has epitomised why we got relegated.
Unless he keeps getting a start.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. OriginalLondonLion September 3, 2016 at 7:14 pm . Reply

On the positive side, Westwood was well groomed, seemed to have a good attitude, and did not put in tackles to injure opponents. Unfortunately I cannot think of anything else.
    He was physically light-weight which meant he was too easy to tackle and he could not himself tackle opponents well. Over long distance he could neither shoot straight or pass accurately. /it is difficult to tell with the colleagues he had, but he did not have the vision required for his role. He did not have pace. and he wasn’t much good at heading the ball. He was a good centre midfield for Crewe, full stop. He still did not have a worse record than Delph for games lost at Villa Park.

Frankly, to win promotion for the Championship we need a midfield where all the players are better at all the skills than Westwood.

2. OriginalLondonLion September 3, 2016 at 7:24 pm . Reply

You think midfield is the weakest area. I think it is the second weakest. Until proven otherwise goal keeper is our worst position even after the muppet has departed.

Once we do get the GK sorted you are right. The following skills, other than the obvious ball-winning, are needed in midfield. A player who can shoot from open play and score from 25 yards. A player who can deliver at least 3 different corner kicks accurately. A good free kick taker. a player with a burst of pace, which will get him through a gap in a packed defence, or back to put in a saving tackle when our defence is breached. A midfield destroyer. And if we continue to have overlapping full backs (hopefully not) and ability to drop in behind and cover.

3. Bill Pearson September 3, 2016 at 7:40 pm . Reply

OLL, spot on about our goalkeeper not being what we wanted, yes already shown weaknesses, but I’m ready to embrace the fact our midfield will be something to see in the coming games, a few more games should see if Villa have turned the corner and going for the title, i don’t think you or me can say at this stage that we are not in contention, but yes we do have doubt on the goalkeeper. Roll on our next game.

4. Fastjet81 September 3, 2016 at 9:37 pm . Reply

You’ve hit the nail on the head badger. Our fall from grace can be directly linked with how our midfield has degraded over the years. Under MON we had a combative midfield that could handle the rigours of the Premier league. The likes of Barry, Milner, Petrov were no pushovers and could offer a goal threat and creativity going forward. Even Reo Coker who I wasn’t a big fan of gave us bite and a physical presence in the middle.

Since then it has been very lightweight and I’d include Delph in that summary too. When play breaks down teams have carved through our midfield like a knife through butter. Leaving the defence with too much to cover. Jedinak is a signing that’s been long over due, going back as far as 5 years.

5. giddyvillan September 4, 2016 at 8:59 am . Reply

Kodjia scored a cracker yesterday for ivory Coast hopefully things to come sorry don’t know how to link the you tube video of it.

6. VillaAwayInDiv3 September 4, 2016 at 11:18 am . Reply
  7. VillaAwayInDiv3 September 4, 2016 at 11:21 am . Reply
    1. pat57 September 4, 2016 at 1:11 pm . Reply

What a goal! Reminded me a bit of Shaqiri’s overhead kick in the Euros

8. Bill Pearson September 4, 2016 at 9:00 pm . Reply

Brilliant goal, looking forward to see him at Villa Park, I’ll even say Oohah might like it as well.

1. giddyvillan September 5, 2016 at 8:03 am . Reply

Ooha might like it?? Lol 😀 more chance of hell freezing over.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath September 7, 2016 at 6:02 pm . Reply

Ha ha. Good goal but I don’t give a toss what he does elsewhere it’s what he does for us that counts

9. pat57 September 5, 2016 at 11:47 am . Reply

BBC reporting Grealish injured and out of U21s.

Hope its nothing serious.

1. giddyvillan September 5, 2016 at 3:55 pm . Reply

No great worry I’m sure our latest editions will be starting come Sunday anyway.

10. Bill Pearson September 6, 2016 at 7:28 pm . Reply

Hard lines Grealish, England unter 21s won 6-1.