Villa 2 -3 Spurs; Stupid mistakes again.

First off, I want to say, the result aside, what a great game that was to watch.

But blimey, that last minute goal practically ripped my guts out.
The worrying thing is I think we all knew it was coming, even that late on.
Which sums it up I suppose, because we simply can’t trust our defence and it isn’t going to get any better this season.
So it was ultimately Engels who made a basic error in letting the ball get past him, when all he had to do was get contact and just hoof it upfield.
I was immediately raving and doing my fruit over him, but on reflection, it doesn’t really matter, as we’ve been prone to this sort of mistake all season and it could have been anyone.

The really annoying thing is I thought we more than held our own against Spurs and would have deserved a point.
Pepe Reina had much to do with this, as he made some great saves, which made him my man of the match.

But I want to give credit to Samatta too, as I thought he played well. He shows good control and the way he flicked one particular ball over and round him, to run on to and see off a defender showed definite class. He works hard and seems to have good awareness of where his team mates are, meaning he lays the ball off nicely.
He’s also often in the right sort of place too, which is frankly a basic requirement for a striker. Oh and he actually heads the ball.
I’ve never seen any of this from Wesley and when you consider we paid twice as much for him, you have to wonder what happened there?
Ok, you get flops, but hmm.
At least when Wesley comes back, he knows he’s got serious competition, which has to be a good thing.

So what went wrong?
It’s hard for me to say, as we definitely put the effort in and tried our best not to give the opposition any time to play.
I do feel we mess about too much at times and I commented about one occasion where Jack took a free, which resulted in the ball being kicked out to one of our mids in the middle of the pitch, who took too much time and then passed to another mid, who also took to much time and was forced to pass back to Reina, because Spurs had pushed out.
To my mind, there’s no excuse for that and we end up giving the ball back to the goalie, when we have most of our players upfield. The ball should be going forwards, not backwards, meaning we keep applying pressure.
It’s a similar thing at the back too, where we mess about too much and look vulnerable to having the ball stolen.
You’d think we would have got away from this by now, but I don’t see it changing with these players.
I think the players are just trained to pause and take a look before passing, but it seems beyond them at this level.
Frankly I just don’t think we’re good enough to play like that at this level.

Ok, Spurs are fifth in the league, I think. But they didn’t look it
Their defence looks equally as vulnerable as ours, but they do have a difference.
They have top class players, the likes of Winks and Son, who can just do stuff that puts the opposition under pressure.
We just don’t have enough of that.

And that, to my mind, is why we lost, when we should have got the point.

We’re just overall not good enough.

That said, that doesn’t mean it’s all doom and gloom.
I thought Spurs weren’t that good. But they’re still fifth in the league and we gave them a game, to say the least. We looked much better for the break and that’s encouraging.
Well, at least I’m not saying we looked poor again.

It’s Southampton away next.
Now that is a critical one.

Roy Bracy February 19, 2020 at 9:24 pm .

What do people think of 3at the back with Konsa in front then Luis and hourihane then grealish with sammata up top 33211 against Southampton with 2wing backs or 3412 with elghasi and sammata and grealish in behind.

Holte66 February 19, 2020 at 10:42 pm .

Hourihane is probably like Drinkwater where he is totally ineffective when not in possession but does offer set pieces that no one else in our squad does. Probably better as a 30 minute substitute when we need a goal.

Hitchens60 February 20, 2020 at 2:20 pm .

Mings fit for Saturday, McGinn on grass at the weekend and Davis back in training Monday; the Scottish Cafu retires and we need something from the Southampton game.

UTV

Texas Villan February 20, 2020 at 7:24 pm .

VERY interesting comments from Gabby on Remi Garde. I know the players are the ones who get the results, but if this is how they were being managed, it’s no wonder we went down. Terrible terrible day the day we were bought by Randy Lerner – an awful businessman.

Holte66 February 20, 2020 at 8:18 pm .

The likes of O’Hare, Green, Hepburn Murphy and Davis could prove their worth next season in the championship. If we do survive I’m not so sure any of them will get the chance to play. The lad we signed from Barcelona will likely be playing for someone like Cheltenham in 4-5 years. Clubs like Villa who are scraping premier league survival or pushing for promotion to championship, cannot afford the time for youngsters to come good in the first team. Funny however that Wesley and Drinkwater can play week in week out with the hope they eventually shine! Double standards comes to mind.

Holte66 February 20, 2020 at 8:23 pm .

Forgot about Doyle Hayes. Another promising U23 but now 21 so over the hill.

Holte66 February 20, 2020 at 8:44 pm .

Some clubs have ditched their U23’s to focus on U18’s and below only. I thought Villa might go down the same route at one point.

Sidforever February 21, 2020 at 10:02 am .

I am interested to see how the new direction impacts on the development and establishment of home grown talent.

I’d never heard of Carney Chukwuemeka before Purslow’s comments – clearly Villa view him as having excellent potential.

Also the purchase of Barry ( ironically we purchased another Barry a few years ago as a youth player). Is this the start of a quality production line.

Personally I buy into Sir Alex Ferguson’s strategy of developing own players (class 92) and then built one or two outstanding players. Just imagine if we got to the stage where majority of team home produced and then we buy a couple of players for £100m rather than buying a new team for that, as we have currently had to do.

Is this the start of our “from small acorns”?