Villa 2 – 1 Sunderland; A dour game and is that good enough? AVTV is shocking.

Well, we got the result I predicted, but first I want to mention AVTV.
Just do not buy this rubbish, as although I subscribed for the video in Turkey, so it doesn’t work in the UK.
Ok, I knew that, but it now seems I’m subscribed and they’ve hit me for another Β£13 just today.
I searched the site and there’s nowhere that tells me I’m subscribed, so I can unsubscribe.
I now have to send them an email to explain that I’m back at home and while I was content to reduce to the audio option, after tonight’s experience, there’s no chance.
Even the audio stream went down more often than my ideal woman.

It’s almost unbelievable that an entity the size of Aston Villa can’t stream a decent audio feed and my strong advice is don’t touch this rubbish with a bargepole until they get it sorted. It’s a waste of money, where I didn’t even get to hear a description of Sunderland’s goal.

2 out of 10, purely because it works at times.

With that rant over, it sounded like the game wasn’t much better.
Sunderland bossed the first half, possession-wise and you have to wonder why?
They were poor and the commentator said they never threatened us at all. Note here, that there wasn’t even a second commentator, to bounce opinions off.

So all in all, a rubbish experience that I’ve no doubt was matched if you actually attended.
I did a Sunderland home game a couple of seasons back. That was rubbish too, with the highlight being me watching the grandkid’s first experience of the Holte end.
You can’t blame the Sunderland fans, they brought 500 and very few can/want to make that sort of trip on a Tuesday night.
But it leads to a poor atmosphere, that just isn’t conducive to a good football game.

Notice I’ve hardly mentioned the footy?
That’s because there’s extremely little to say.
We won; in a game that will not live in the memory.
And that’s all.

3 points, which was the minimum expectation/requirement and we move on.

Ipswich next; hardly the most inspiring game either. But at least it’s on a saturday afternoon.

I just feel like I’ve totally wasted two and a half hours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
  1. Owen November 21, 2017 at 11:03 pm . Reply

Did a job – Samba looked decent, Snodgrass everywhere and two assist, comfortable til the last ten. Bizarre Bruce subs as standard. Closing in on top 2. Must be followed up with 3 points v Ipswich or it proves we bottle it when we get close to automatic.

2. VillaAwayInDiv3 November 21, 2017 at 11:06 pm . Reply

I have been watching matches on Facebook….always someone streaming from somewhere…it was from Australia today…..think its from AVTV…but always turn sound off anyway.
    But found out late on it was on my normal stream …switched to that and we let the goal in…..switched that off quick….LOL
    Game was crap but as you say could have been worse….was the one you took the grandkid to the 0-0 where we only did anything in teh last min when Zog hit the woodwork…..now that was dire.We had a family trip and I was embarrased.

3. Andrew November 22, 2017 at 2:03 am . Reply

It’s typical Villa fashion though, isn’t it? Good game, bad game, good game, bad game. Fortunately, these bad games are still getting results. First half looked like a training session.

I don’t get the hype around Coleman. Yeah he did decently well with very few good players, but Sunderland doesn’t have a championship version of a Bale, or even a Ramsey to get them out of the mess.

Either way, we played quite poorly, but still looked comfortable. But with Bruce’s news on Kodjia, just reaffirms our desperate need for a striker. Davis has done well but until he starts getting a goal a game or every other game from here on in, is just not reliable enough to win us games and Adomah has been brilliant in that form but relying on a winger to score every game isn’t going too happen.

Bruce talks like we have no money, but he still spent money over the summer and got more than the 2-3 players he claimed we’d sign. So I’m still rather hopeful for January.

1. Bum Bum November 22, 2017 at 9:14 am . Reply

Managers should ALWAYS talk like they’ve got no money! That’s how the best deals are done! 😊

4. Benno November 22, 2017 at 3:34 am . Reply

Poor game but 3 points. Really surprised Bruce didn’t freshen the team up from Saturday though. The same thing happened after Preston except Sunderland were weaker than shef weds.

We are crying for grealish to play. Someone who is comfortable on the ball and can create. Also bit disappointed he dropped ohare from the bench today.

Hopefully he makes some adjustments for Saturday although I bet he wont.

5. Bill Pearson November 22, 2017 at 8:33 am . Reply

Nail bite game that, in defence of Whelen he’s lot better than Westwood for the team imo , no negativity by passing back or side to side, we do now go forwards more, Samba, Hutton, Chester, fair game but we do need a killer forward player in getting goals, nice to see us moving up and hope we can get that win Saturday, this is only the first half of the season that will be the turning point for Villa we have the top teams to play. Utv.

6. Bum Bum November 22, 2017 at 9:12 am . Reply

U wanna take up cribbage Badger. More fun and less stressful!
    QPR mate said we were the better team and deserved to win at the weekend. Sunderland? I like them but we have to be ruthless and exploit any teams weaknesses.
    Is it just me but is winning becoming a habit at the Villa?????

7. owen November 22, 2017 at 12:19 pm . Reply

Just 5 points of second now and we do seem to have found the winning habit. I like how Bruce only changes now when absolutely necessary. I think he makes mistakes when he has too many options. Samba has been surprisingly good – we might get away with losing Terry for a bit at this rate, Hutton is the great survivor and keeps making himself undroppable. Whelan did another good job in midfield and the wily Snodgrass has skill and an evil streak. Loved it at the end when he was sent the ball three times in the corner and kept possession to waste time then when the whistle went was straight over celebrating with the fans. All the midfielders a performing well. We just need a new striker in January. I don’t want Grealish or Gabby to play as they are drains on morale and used to the old losing ways. Symbols of our malaise. Whilst Villa got relegated – Hutton battle on and grealish, gabby and richards took the piss – bomb them all out of the club.

8. Villain1 November 22, 2017 at 4:30 pm . Reply

Very poor performance against a team with zero confidence but at least we got the 3 points in the bag. I do think we’re going to struggle to keep pace with the top 2 in December as with only Davis available we just dont have any chance of freshening the forward line up and he’s bound to have poor games like last night.
    Not a fan of Grealish overall but thought he looked bright when he came on. I’d consider giving him a start against Ipswich though I expect Bruce to play the same 11 again

1. Andrew November 22, 2017 at 10:03 pm . Reply

We can always try Adomah up front. He makes great runs and has a knack for getting in behind defenders, plus his size would come in handy. Bring on Davis in the 2nd half. With Grealish back he can always play out left. Or we can bring up McKirdy finally. He’s 20, with his contract expiring in the summer, I think it’s time we see what he’s all about.

9. Andrew November 22, 2017 at 9:49 pm . Reply

Apparently RHM is going to be back for the U23 cup game against Sheffield United next Thursday. Obviously he won’t be fit for a while, but that’s good news.