Villa 1 – 1 Man Utd; I’ll have that.

For me this is a super result, where contrary to some views I was hearing during the game, we had lost this at half time.

When you consider that we went down to ten men and United can replace the likes of Van Persie with someone like Di Maria, this point was frankly stunning.
Of course, we can say that we ought to be able bring decent quality on to replace our players.
But the fact is we can’t, which is what makes this point so juicy for me.

So Lambert lined up with a supposed back three in a 3-4-3, but I never saw it like that.
For me, it’s a back five, which can hopefully change to a three when the full backs get chance to go forward. Or even Okore on the right wing!
Whatever, I’m not convinced the numbers in the system made that much difference, but the actual rearguard performance did.

The game started off in pretty standard format, with us on the back foot and Utd making their midfield presence felt. The opposition sprayed it around and we let them.
For all Utd’s effort though, I didn’t particularly feel like we we massively threatened.
Yes, of course they’re always dangerous, but I wasn’t massively worried.

And then came our goal around 18 mins.
Benteke received the ball nicely on his chest, played it with his left, played it with his right and then hit a curler into the top left of the net.
I know some of you might not agree with me when I rave about the player, but it was the way he looked like he had an age to go about his business in a cluttered box, that made this goal so good for me.
That’s the sign of a genuine top class player.
As I’ve said before, the type of player that will score a boatload when afforded the numerous chances you get in a top side. A potential World class player, in my opinion.

One-nil it was then and we then went on the front foot and took it to the opposition for most of the rest of the first half.
Contrary to some saying we would lose, we looked okay to me and I was beginning to think of us ending our miserable 19 year run of not beating Manchester Utd at home.

It wasn’t to be though and Man U, after applying pressure straight from the second half whistle equalised with a goal from Falcao, who seemed to be left in a load of space.

And then Gabby’s tackle.
While I don’t think it was a straight red, it was poor.
And this time, I don’t think Ashley Young caused it either. He’s just so slightly built that any harsh tackle will seem to scythe through him.
The simple fact is Gabby should have pulled out of it as he never looked likely to win it, in my opinion.
While we’re on the subject of cards, Weimann ought to be told to keep his big trap shut during these sort of incidents. The rules are there and the Captain is supposed to be the one doing the complaining/debating. Weimann was lucky to not get a card and Guzan fully deserved his.

Anyway, it was pretty much one way from Utd in the second half, but we did have our moments and indeed looked dangerous at times.

What impressed me during this game was that I was beginning to see signs.
Apart from decent passing, I noticed movement. Lots of it.
Of course, it was fleeting, but you could see we were trying to pass it around and actually play.
That’s encouraging.

The best part of the game is I’m finding it difficult to really criticise anyone, as frankly I thought all the players played quite well.

At the end of the day, who do I think will be more annoyed about having not taken all three points?
That’ll be Utd, who on paper should have won this one easily.
Yet they didn’t, which is one in the eye for them and a point I never really expected.

That can’t be bad.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. GarethVilla December 21, 2014 at 9:08 am . Reply

Haven’t been on this site for ages and can see why now.
    Nothing changes, I am amazed by the total two-faced attitude by most on here.
    Changing your opinion game-by-game just makes you look pathetic.
    The only one who sticks by his guns is OohAah.
    Win (which doesn’t happen very often) and the team are “making progress”, but hang on, lose the next one and its back to “Lambert out”.
    Over 41,000 turned up yesterday to watch United’s players, it’ll be back down again to 28,000 for the Sunderland match.
    The club is a total joke, with an owner who is happy with 15th place, a manager who is un-sackable and a bunch of players who are below average at best.
    Its a pointless club now, outside of a few 12-year-old newcomers on here, nobody gives a toss.
    As a club, like Lerner/Lambert, we are boring.
    They just turn up on a Saturday and then “we go again” the following week without any ambition or direction of where we want to be.
    25 years a supporter and couldn’t care less about them anymore.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath December 21, 2014 at 11:58 am . Reply

Agree Gareth armchair fans out in force to see Utd we all knew this would be a sellout. Lamberk is unsackable and until Lerner goes this is as good as it gets. like yourself Iv stopped caring even when we lost to WBA last week I didnt give a toss. I think this is going to be it now for years to come stuck in mediocratity plus only a matter of time before we start flogging our best players. Club is a joke

1. B6 December 21, 2014 at 5:52 pm . Reply

If you didn’t give a toss you wouldn’t comment as much as you do. Saying you don’t give a toss is not true, what is true is that you constantly believe because we won the FA cup in the 50s, the league and European cup in the 80s we have a divine right to be challenging season in and season out. What you fail to accept is time has moved on, we are no longer a big club, whilst admittedly we have a fantastic history that no one can change to hold on to that my friend is as good as it gets. Football has changed, Villa were left behind when it did.

1. nath December 21, 2014 at 9:01 pm . Reply

truth hurts b6 oohahahahaha can not handle the truth

2. BWS December 21, 2014 at 12:01 pm . Reply

Played the wealthiest football club on the planet and got a draw. We could have nicked it at the death and saw one of the finest pieces of finishing I’ve ever witnessed and all from a team put together on a shoestring.
      Just what do you expect?

3. Bill Pearson December 21, 2014 at 12:28 pm . Reply

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time, Great quote, don’t you think? Randy Dandy ,oops GarethVilla, god know what next.

4. Colonius81 December 21, 2014 at 12:55 pm . Reply

on your bike then, if the site or the club are not for you …

2. B6 December 21, 2014 at 1:00 pm . Reply

To be fair to GarethVilla he does have a point. Bill Pearson is a classic example. At the beginning of the season the bloke wasn’t going to step foot inside Villa Park. Then after a decent start he goes to a few games. Then we start losing and he stops going again. Now he’s admitted after yesterdays result he’s going to go again next game. Is that the reflection of a supporter or a reflection of a glory hunter? Glory hunter as in i’ll only go if we are’nt losing every week. I stopped going 4 years ago and won’t go again in my lifetime. Whilst i am no longer a hardcore supporter (missed 2 games home and away in 8 years prior 2011) i am simply an armchair fan…..An ever growing group, like most on here, but unwilling to admit and are still convinced they are “supporters”

As for yesterday’s result….Like BWS says, we got a point against the wealthiest club on the planet, we also ended there 7 game winning run, all this from a group of “below average player” Not a bad day if i do say so myself.

1. Bill Pearson December 21, 2014 at 5:31 pm . Reply

Well B6 in answer to your comment, you are correct I did say that, what I didn’t say was its corporate seats all 4 they go with the company, they mainly go to business or if you like buyer’s, so I do have the choice of going or not, So if I see a change I’ll go, didn’t yesterday gave them away ,but yes will be at the next game. Hope that helps as I did work at the club for 20 year’s and love Aston Villa probably more than some. It all depends on what’s happening at the Villa.

3. nath December 21, 2014 at 1:38 pm . Reply

playing man utd isn’t easy, even when you get a result, 99% of write ups or chat about the game will have the following excuses, villa defended deep, man utd played poor (ignore the last 6 wins on the bounce) playing ten men isn’t easy ( try playing with ten men each time you play man utd) then finally you will hear lets not take away from villa 10 seconds yeah plucky villa right next

happy christmas all, even GarethVilla <<<<<now that's two faced, hope santa brings all you desire

4. Jay Dee December 21, 2014 at 3:53 pm . Reply

We did well good point unlucky not to get all three at home from an inform manure.Cant knock it at all.Unlucky for Gabby to get sent off which I reckon will be revoked.Ive just got tickets for the Sunderland game I’m in the lower Holte with my lad should be good.utv

1. GIDDYVILLAN December 21, 2014 at 4:06 pm . Reply

Yes I’m sure it’ll be rescinded,there’s only LVG thought it was a red card toss pot.good point UTV

1. Jay Dee December 21, 2014 at 9:56 pm . Reply

He said on match of the day that it wasn’t a red card mate on TV bud.Anyone going the Sunderland game?

1. Hitchens 60 December 22, 2014 at 7:48 am . Reply

Lower Holte with my kids and grandkids – nine if us in all. I’ll be the guy looking old and haggard!

1. Bill Pearson December 22, 2014 at 9:21 am .

Under the camera Dug Ellis stand.me and my son.

5. Hitchens 60 December 22, 2014 at 7:55 am . Reply

On the point of fickle fans. Supporting a football club is a highly emotional commitment and it’s natural that fans that love their clubs will follow an emotional roller coaster ride, up with a win and in deep doom with a loss. A win, a good performance brings hope of more ups than downs – especially at Villa Park after so many years of hopes being dashed (even the Manure fans were in a right strop after Saturday’s result). Does that make us fickle? I don’t buy it – we just love our club and can’t abandon it. Happy Christmas all, let’s hope for a present of a few wins in a row UTV

1. nath December 22, 2014 at 9:08 am . Reply

my reply is give me sumat, your not on lmao šŸ™‚

i was closer to the scoreline than you was my friend, plus if their goalie hadn’t saved benteke bullet header, i would have had the scoreline and goalscorer,

1. Hitchens 60 December 22, 2014 at 11:58 am . Reply

And your point is?

1. nath December 22, 2014 at 12:40 pm . Reply

your a bad forecaster and have no faith

6. ifiruledtheworld December 22, 2014 at 12:14 pm . Reply

I hope it’s true, I know he’s really divided fans but I think he’s been brilliant for us. He fits in to our side perfectly and he’s exactly the type of player Lambert wants in his team. He never stops running and he’s always looking for the ball, he’s a great box-to-box player and I think he has improved our team in my opinion. He hasn’t quite hit his peak yet, just imagine when he does and adds a few goals to his game. 7.5 million could turn out to be a steal.

7. ifiruledtheworld December 22, 2014 at 12:14 pm . Reply

Are they just going to link Spurs to all of our players at some point?..

1. Andrew December 22, 2014 at 3:33 pm . Reply

You mean Cissokho? They have 2 LB’s already, be surprised if they go for a 3rd.

Napoli linked to a lot of LB’s, Daily Mirror claiming they want Cissokho, Italian reports claim they want Strinic. I know which one I’m picking to believe.

1. ifiruledtheworld December 22, 2014 at 3:52 pm . Reply

I’m not saying there is something in it, I’m saying it’s getting a little annoying seeing Spurs linked to all our players.

1. nath December 22, 2014 at 4:17 pm . Reply

cissokho is marmite, he was a blessing after bennet and moon amigo, had a really good game against man utd, i doubt spurs would be interested and not sure he would want to leave anyhow. lots of bulshit around this time of year. we need strengthening not weakening.

i believe palace have come out saying bolaise isn’t for sale, as liverpool been sniffing around, would like at least 3 or 4 decent additions of attacking quality. i doubt we will get any targets in. all depends really on money made available by the boss

1. Andrew December 22, 2014 at 4:50 pm .

Fox claims there’s money available and I’d tend to believe him.

I doubt however we’ll see that many players come in. Yes a winger, AM and striker would be nice to see, plus another CM but we won’t be getting that but that seems an unreasonable amount for January.

2. Andrew December 22, 2014 at 4:48 pm . Reply

Oh I agree, it does make me laugh that they’re linked to everyone we have.

1. nath December 22, 2014 at 5:09 pm .

i believe fox also and i thought there would be money spent before his statement, but its how much is released is the question. you knew yourself how much attacking players would cost, not just attacking players but ones with reputations.

this transfer window could make or break us, another player (attacking) or two like the quality of sanchez will sort us nicely. do you think this is possible, will we be after quality or potential quality ???

2. Andrew December 22, 2014 at 7:36 pm .

Reports claimed Lerner was ready to fully back Reilly in signings we wanted. Fox mentioned short term and long term potential for us are the players he’s looking for, so I’d suspect hopefully both? Quality players with potential to get even better? Like Bolasie for example? 25 only and can still get better, but is already of some quality.

3. nath December 22, 2014 at 7:54 pm .

well andrew i sure hope your right, would be good to have some decent players gracing VP again. benteke is lethal needs better services šŸ™‚

8. ifiruledtheworld December 22, 2014 at 7:25 pm . Reply

Think this headline is very misleading, he’s not being very coy at all.. if anything it sounds like he’s saying “I’m staying put”.